• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Anti-gun bias, or "good" reporting?

TFred

I happened across this article tonight. Two unrelated but similar crimes, one of the suspects was apparently openly carrying a properly holstered pistol at the time of his arrest.

The article gives fairly prominent mention of this:

"During the arrest a holstered .40 caliber Smith and Wesson semi-automatic handgun was discovered in his possession."

So... was the pistol pertinent to the story? Or is this just more anti-gun bias, tainting the otherwise lawful gun possession with the despicable crimes the man is accused of?

TFred

Louisa Sheriff’s Office arrests former dispatcher ... for online solicitation of minors

ETA: Another article says it this way:

"[The accused] was carrying a .40-caliber semi-automatic handgun in a holster when he was arrested."

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
It's anti-gun bias.

A .40-caliber Smith and Wesson semiautomatic handgun is a frightening thing to behold. Having it in a holster just makes it easier for the perp to get his hands on it and start spraying busloads of nuns taking blind orphans to a birthday party.

Pardon me while I Godwinize, but just how big is a "caliber"? If I knew that I'd know how big .40 of one was. Those pesky hyphens cause problems second only to misplaced commas.

But soon I will not have to be disconcerted at such writing, for Bloomberg is paying to send reporters to classes where they will learn all about handguns and how to properly report on how eevillll they are.

stay safe.

MNMGoneShooting

I happened across this article tonight. Two unrelated but similar crimes, one of the suspects was apparently openly carrying a properly holstered pistol at the time of his arrest.

The article gives fairly prominent mention of this:

"During the arrest a holstered .40 caliber Smith and Wesson semi-automatic handgun was discovered in his possession."

So... was the pistol pertinent to the story? Or is this just more anti-gun bias, tainting the otherwise lawful gun possession with the despicable crimes the man is accused of?

TFred

Louisa Sheriff’s Office arrests former dispatcher ... for online solicitation of minors

ETA: Another article says it this way:

"[The accused] was carrying a .40-caliber semi-automatic handgun in a holster when he was arrested."

Yeah TFred, I caught that too and posted on another forum. Post-Bankrupt FLS sure is starting to change their colors quick with some of these editors. I was surprised they didn't say what Schyner was carrying (bubble gum in a purple wrapper? Tums? Hockey Stick with tape?)

Goes back to an earlier discussion we had. I will not be giving my money to their obvious left-wing perspective/agenda.

Also has another thread of logic to it: Presumed innocent until proven guilty; yet along with said charges, the media will announce everything in your possession, impersonal or not. Free country, I suppose - unless you are carrying something for self-defense.

TFred

I can only imagine the reporter's salivation at coming across this golden opportunity to freely berate a gun-carrier. Because of the crime the man is accused of, nobody, not even the staunchest of gun-rights supporters, could dare comment to call them out on this obvious propaganda, for fear of being misrepresented as supporting the alleged crime.

ETA: For example: "Oh, you believe we should ALLOW child molesters to carry GUNS!!??"

TFred

Last edited: