Thread: Moving to Kansas soon, and have a few questions.

Moving to Kansas soon, and have a few questions.

I'm moving to Wichita this summer. I've been in Japan for a while so I'm excited to be able to use (some) of my rights. I'm from Louisiana, and am very familiar with the firearm laws there, where to look them up, how open carry/firearms in general is/are perceived. I understand that (fairly) recently a state preemption law was passed in Kansas. To the point, I'm looking for information (not legal advice) on firearm ownership/open carry in Kansas. Where do you look up laws? How do leo's treat you (the good and the bad?) Are ranges common or few and far between? How does the general public view open carry? I'm just trying to see what I'm getting into ahead of time. Any info will be appreciated.
    Last edited by dtarleton; 01-31-2015 at 02:08 AM.

KS Gun Laws

Hi dtarleton

welcome to KS. I advise going to http://www.handgunlaw.us to find the most up to date information on gun laws anywhere. just click on KS and the laws will pop up in pdf format.

Open carry is legal almost anywhere but I recommend still getting a concealed carry permit. the class has great information that will help you in your transition back to the states.

Permits are great for crossing state lines and gives you more options like carry in school zones of the state you live in. on the site you can create a map of what states accept KS permit.

Have great 2015

Open carry is legal everywhere in KS, except for some posted public buildings, school zones, and private property(if you are asked to leave or it is posted). Most people don't even notice or care. My CCW license is useful for traveling or carrying inside schools, unless they are posted with the attorney generals sign. We even have a constitutional carry bill in the state legislature this year!

Banned
    I would recommend looking at state statues, local ordinances, etc...maybe some case law research too.

You are a gun owner and are expected to know every law ...

Thanks for the info y'all. I did see the constitutional carry bill, and am very excited about that.

Hello from Wichita! On several occasions I have been seen by WPD officers while OPenly carrying, and they did not say a word to me. Only people to say anything to me are a few "are you a police officer?" Overall a pretty good place for open carry.

The KS legislature is good about keeping PDFs of bills uploaded, and the current legislation is codified and maintained by the kansas revisor of statutes.