• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

I 594 Loop hole

Jeff Hayes

I caution all y'all against conflating "may" with "can." While an object might be missing a barrel or trigger or hammer or whatever, and therefore can't be used to launch a projectile, the object still may be used to do so (by adding the missing part or parts). You may be dancing along a very slippery slope.

That is why we are talking about it, some ideas work out and some do not.

Personally I will never purchase another firearm in Washington.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
At that point, would the completed firearm require a serial number? You've basically taken parts from multiple different weapons and parts that were never attached to a weapon to create a completed firearm. You did it yourself for your own personal use.
If a serialized "receiver/lower is used, that part is already a "firearm". If you cut your own receiver/lower and "make" a firearm, you need not mark it in any way. It is recommended (by batf) to do so. Good luck with that. I saw an AR15 lower marked to match a full auto xme-177 that was "lost in a tragic boating accident" in SE Asia. I have also seen pirate talk and hello kitty roll marks. Go figure.

That is why we are talking about it, some ideas work out and some do not.

Personally I will never purchase another firearm in Washington.
Why change anything? I have aquired a half dozen firearms since 594. Some nics, some not. Come get me coppers! I build my own guns and do not do background checks on myself. I have told me that I am too pretty to be a criminal and I believe me.

Dave_pro2a

I caution all y'all against conflating "may" with "can." While an object might be missing a barrel or trigger or hammer or whatever, and therefore can't be used to launch a projectile, the object still may be used to do so (by adding the missing part or parts). You may be dancing along a very slippery slope.

If person "A" is legally drunk and driving, he can get cited for DUI.

If person "A" is legally drunk, legally parked and sitting in the drivers seat of a parked car, then he can get cited for DUI.

Can person "A" be cited for DUI if he is legally drunk, and sitting in the drivers seat of a parked car that is MISSING THE DAMN ENGINE?!

Common sense. Something the law, cops, judges and lawyers lack.

Justice isn't just blind, she's a money grubbing prostitute and a moron.

Last edited: