• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Survelllance of Gun Show Attendees

MarkS

In case you did not see this article in last week's Wall Street Journal

http://www.wsj.com/articles/federal-agency-weighed-spying-on-cars-at-gun-shows-1422398739

and the NRA's reaction to it

https://www.nraila.org/articles/201...lated-mass-surveillance-of-gun-show-attendees

Apparently, the DEA considered using license plate readers to monitor who attended gun shows. I'm baffled by why tracking gun show attendance falls within the purview of enforcing federal drug laws, but ... it's not surprising (but seriously disappointing) that law enforcement agencies want to go to such lengths to monitor and track lawful gun owners.

Unfortunately, monitoring gun owners and treating them like a danger to society is not new.

While there are statutes to the contrary, I'm pretty sure that the information on the Form 4473 is stored and monitored in state and federal databases.

davidmcbeth

Banned
<snip>

While there are statutes to the contrary, I'm pretty sure that the information on the Form 4473 is stored and monitored in state and federal databases.

Info on 4473's are kept at the FFL .. FFLs do not disclose this to the gov't automatically. When they close shop, they have to give the ATF their dealer books and forms not older than a certain age.

However, at the point in time where a FFL closes shop, most of the information is old and pretty much not of much value.

The ATF can come into a FFL business and look at their records but I know of no concerted effort to copy all FFLs records.

OC for ME

Info on 4473's are kept at the FFL .. FFLs do not disclose this to the gov't automatically. When they close shop, they have to give the ATF their dealer books and forms not older than a certain age.

However, at the point in time where a FFL closes shop, most of the information is old and pretty much not of much value.

The ATF can come into a FFL business and look at their records but I know of no concerted effort to copy all FFLs records.
Prove it, beyond the written directive that this may be the case. Cabelas uses a e-form, that is connected to the Interwebz, that connects to the feds, when purchasing a firearm. All retail firearms transactions are undeniably registered firearms. Those who use pen and paper, not so much me thinks.

georg jetson

Prove it, beyond the written directive that this may be the case. Cabelas uses a e-form, that is connected to the Interwebz, that connects to the feds, when purchasing a firearm. All retail firearms transactions are undeniably registered firearms. Those who use pen and paper, not so much me thinks.

Good point about Cabelas. I dont do business with them because of this. I wont do business with any firarms dealer that doesnt use good ole paper and pen.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Apparently, the DEA considered using license plate readers to monitor who attended gun shows.

As per the information revealed in a strongly related thread (why aren't these two merged???), the DEA wasn't considering it. It was a staff member's idea, floated by e-mail. Zero serious consideration.