• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

They finally got something right.

travis1911

While I know this is an open carry thread I'm sure there are more than a few of us that hold a ccdw simply for the ease of use. Like making gun purchases quicker and for the ability to throw on a heavy jacket without having to disarm or tuck it in behind our sidearm completely ruining the purpose of wearing a heavy coat. I took my class a year or so ago and have been too lazy to go to the Sherriff's department and submit my paperwork. Well lucky for me KSP just started an electronic application process that put things in the fast lane. I applied yesterday(Sunday) and got an email today at noon telling me it was approved and that I could pick it up in a week. This is a vast improvement over the six month nightmares I've read about in the past. Just wanted to share my experience in case anyone was curious about the new process.

Thanks,
T

Sir Diealotz

Read about this over the weekend. This will make the process much easier when submitting the information.

Was "Training" some friends and the wife who will be taking a CDW class in a few weeks. Just showing them what to expect on the range portion and some tips.

Wife was struggling with grouping so I shot the revolver both right and left handed (I'm right handed) and was surprised that my left handed grouping at 25 feet was within a few inches.

We were shooting at a small target and explained to her that the man size target used for the class will me much easier. She would have made 20/20 center mass however the grouping was still kind of scattered.

Flounder

I am looking forward to the online application. I took the class this weekend, and 60 days plus the sheriff's wait time seemed like a long time to wait. Hopefully I will get my certificate soon and will be able to carry openly or concealed whenever need beby March.

travis1911

Gutshot, I say that referring to mid-2013 after the gun market exploded from the Sandy Hook incident.

- Instructor has one week to submit paperwork
- DOJ has three weeks to issue certificate
- Sherriff's Dept has one week to submit to KSP
- KSP has 90 days to approve or deny (this was in 2013 prior to 60 day change)

That's four months with zero postal time

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Maybe where you live it takes two months to get the mail delivered, but its about 3 days here

Here in Virginia our government agencies use a mule (which they have to catch and saddle-break) to take just about everything except your tax bill down to the post office. It's an especially prevalent practice in major metropolitain areas like Virginia Beach. :p

stay safe.

BlueSquid

OK then, that explains the discrepancy.

Forgive me if I don't share your confidence in the US Postal Service. Between myself, my wife and my parents, no less than 4 change of address/address correction forms have been filled out since I returned from deployment and my wife moved back to VA. That's in addition to multiple in person discussions on both ends. We live in VA, they live in MI. We still get half of my parents mail, they still get half of ours. We also get mail delivered to our apartment that's addressed to 3 other people. Two of which were prior residents in our current apartment, one who lived in our old apartment after we left it. We've sent at least 1-2 hundred pieces of mail back for those folks, writing "This person no longer lives at this address" on the envelopes, and at least a quarter of those have come back to us a second time.

So, either it's a problem in the system and you just have the most on point postal workers in the country...or me and about 6 other people are extremely unlucky.

All I'm sayin' is, it's not all that ridiculous to think a fair amount of people experienced the 6 month nightmare wait that was mentioned by the OP.

BlueSquid

Your sarcasm is noted, sir. I never claimed to know more about anything than you. I just made statements based on my own personal experiences, and that having gone through that, I didn't think the OP's claim was as far fetched as you seem to think. Even if it were 2 or 3 days longer per delivery than you say, that's still about an extra 3 weeks in wait time considering a 6 day delivery week. It's not unheard of for mail to take greater than a week to arrive, sometimes things just fall to the bottom of the sorting pile. However, I'm sure when it's mail travelling between states, it's more likely than parcels going between two locations in the same state, so I'll give you that.

I never thought this way until these things happened to me. So maybe I've just been unlucky recently, or maybe you've just been lucky for a long time. All I know is, dealing with a government agency is always a lengthy process when it's for something that benefits you, as compared to something that benefits them. Ever been shorted on a government paycheck and tried to get that money? It takes a lot longer than when they accidentally overpay you and take it back out, no matter how small the amount.

Either way, I never said or meant to imply it was common for these things to happen, just that they DO happen. You're getting awfully salty about this. Any chance you're a retired post office worker? :p I kid, I kid.

But you're right, I have zero experience when it comes to the delivery of ANY concealed weapons permit, because I've never applied for one.