Thread: Lakewood Estates, St. Petersburg man, 21, builds front yard gun range. Irks 'hood.

Lakewood Estates, St. Petersburg man, 21, builds front yard gun range. Irks 'hood.

http://www.wfla.com/story/27997914/s...hbors-outraged

“I don’t know if this idiot is going to start popping off rounds,” parent Patrick Leary said of 21-year-old Joseph Carannante. “I’m furious.” he St. Petersburg Police Department say Mr. Carannante is legally allowed to fire guns in front of his Lakewood Estates home, just yards from where children live, a local NBC affiliate reported.
    [ ... ]
    Neighbors said they feel they’re being held hostage by Mr. Carannante. You heard him say, ‘I’ll tell the neighbors when I’m getting ready to fire,’” Mr. Leary told the NBC affiliate. “What, do we gather our children and hide? Ridiculous. Come on.” I don’t consider it responsible. I don’t consider it reasonable,” said another parent, Kendra O’Connor. “He’s asking me to go inside my house, go to the other side of the house, as he’s informing me he’ll fire his weapon.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ith-front-yar/

https://news.google.com/news/rtc?ncl...Rnvs7Tnm6FZ7pM 12 articles ATM

Uh oh! Another rights abuser ruining them for everybody else.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-03-2015 at 03:51 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    In fact, residents have enlisted the help of their neighbor, County Commissioner Ken Welch.

“Even to the most pro-gun person, to have a gun range in the middle of a residential neighborhood doesn't make any sense at all. I'm hoping we can get to some common ground and common sense,” Welch told 8 on your side Sunday night.

Common ground to him is not to shoot at all.

Even in commie commieland CT you can shoot in your backyard.

Shoot on brother ! Pew pew pew.

-------------------------------------

Meanwhile, police admit they've been to Carannante's home and that he is obeying the law. They tell us they will “monitor the situation closely.”

Why they going to his home if he is obeying the law? !!
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 02-03-2015 at 03:54 PM.

I wouldn't call this abuse. I'd call it exercising a right....

In reality this isn't a problem. Idiots like this are far and few between. Nevertheless, we will see a successful effort to chip away at preemption from things like this. This man can now cash his $10,000 check from Bloomberg.
    “If the natural tendencies of mankind are so bad that it is not safe to permit people to be free, how is it that the tendencies of these organizers are always good? Do not the legislators and their appointed agents also belong to the human race? Or do they believe that they themselves are made of a finer clay than the rest of mankind? ” -Bastiat

I don't "need" to openly carry a handgun or own an "assault weapon" any more than Rosa Parks needed a seat on the bus.

Odd News: Homemade gun range on owner’s residential yard is legal, according to Florida statute

The gun control debate is always a hotly contested one pitting the sides against each other. So, it’s attention grabbing when a state law giving gun owners more freedom causes Second Amendment advocates to demand more regulations. The Miami Herald recently spoke to Doug Varrieur, a gun owner and homeowner in Big Pine Key, Florida. For the past month, Varrieur has exercised his Florida state right to shoot guns on his residential property every Wednesday from 3-4 p.m. in his homemade gun range.

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/oddnews/...230019514.html
    From January 2014.

What liberty minded folks should be doing is advocating to educate the neighbors and not restrict the citizen exercising his right lawfully. The city and the cops need to be engaged in educating the NIMBYs.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

It's Your Front Yard, Not In Your Front Yard - NIYFY.

The next slippery-slope increment of NIMBY, don't brandish those rights or The Powers That Be - TPTB - will infringe and rescind. We have plenty of happy statists petty-tyrants here on OCDO!

State Researcher
    I can't tell from the story whether we are talking about 10 acre plots in some relatively rural area, or 1/4 acre building lots in a suburban area that simply doesn't have a ban on routine discharge for whatever reason.

I should hope that for basic safety, the shooter has a proper backstop / bullet catcher, and has taken into account such issues as the potential for a bullet to leave his property and enter someone else's property. Out here in the Intermountain West where trees are sparse and fairly thin, it is not uncommon for ranges using something other than a mountain side as the backstop to need to "baffle" overhead so as to catch any bullet discharged while firearms are pointed at a high enough angle to go over the backstop.

Beyond basic safety, is the question of common courtesy. I learned to shoot in a suburban/rural backyard with neighbors fairly close. But that was exclusively on a .22 LR. Nothing any louder than that was ever discharged in that location; instead we'd drive out to the edge of town to the informal but well recognized shooting area. Noise ordinances will generally limit noise at night. But common courtesy says one doesn't crank the stereo up too loud or needlessly rev the engine just because it is daytime and technically legal. Really a shame that the feds make suppressors so needlessly expensive and difficult to obtain.

But one way or another, operating without a decent respect to the opinions of his neighbors is not the way to win the hearts, minds, or votes of the masses. We need those votes to advance our RKBA. And ultimately, if enough folks get upset, laws can be changed; and when they are, they are usually made far more strict than was really needed to address legitimate concerns. Usually, they get written to address the worst-case kind of behavior that inspired them in the first place.

And I personally understand the friction in cases such as this. I live in a suburban area, but on a plot that still has rights to keep farm animals. Neighbors on two sides have similar usage rights. But neighbors on the other two sides do not, and don't always care for the noise, smells, or other things that go with living next door to what is, effectively, small farms with some farm animals. (I am the corner lot in a small area that always maintained our animal rights as the more suburban city has developed around us.) I have my rights and I exercise them. But I try to do so in ways to minimize impact to my urban-minded neighbors rather than pushing right up against the limit of what is permissible. Operating well within the limits of the law, while also doing what is reasonable and possible to be courteous helps to minimize needless friction while also helping me look good to lawmakers when there is a need to appear before them in defense of current zoning.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    ...Operating well within the limits of the law, while also doing what is reasonable and possible to be courteous helps to minimize needless friction while also helping me look good to lawmakers when there is a need to appear before them in defense of current zoning.

Charles
    Your reasonable attempts to be courteous will be for naught if but one neighbor lodges a complaint. I too take extra measures to be kind to my neighbor's sensibilities...but ya just never know.

It is ironic that folks move in knowing that there is a cow next door, then complain that the cow is next door.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I initially was not a fan of this idea, or change in law. But it has been several years with no big problems, I have changed my mind. If done responsibly I see no problem with it. Besides it is legal, and will probably stay legal, and nothing can be done about it. The best thing the neighbors could do is help him build a better backstop if they are concerned. I see no problem with the backstop he has as long as he is a competent shooter. If he is not then he will run afoul of the law. From what I saw in the article he is shooting no more than 10 yards at a 4X4 foot backstop filled with sand, it should easily catch and trap 9mm projectiles. If he is so incompetent that he cannot hit the center of that backstop at those distances then he should not be shooting anywhere.

I will say I consider the shooters on BPK not responsible. They are shooting over a canal used for access to navigation of the waterways. They are only using a shed and plywood for a backstop, and sending his wife DOWN RANGE, to watch for boaters. IMO this is the same as shooting over a roadway, which is illegal in Florida, and surprised the MP has not charged them.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

article is pretty vague. We dont know if he's in rural florida or what. He's still responsible for any rounds fired.

LOL It's Lakewood Estates

Typical Florida golf course/country club subdivision. I'll not dive any deeper into the exact property configuration and proximity to neighbors.

Issue is over, shooter caved, got free membership at shooting club. Yea free stuff!
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by walkingwolf View Post
    i initially was not a fan of this idea, or change in law. But it has been several years with no big problems, i have changed my mind. If done responsibly i see no problem with it. Besides it is legal, and will probably stay legal, and nothing can be done about it. The best thing the neighbors could do is help him build a better backstop if they are concerned. I see no problem with the backstop he has as long as he is a competent shooter. If he is not then he will run afoul of the law. From what i saw in the article he is shooting no more than 10 yards at a 4x4 foot backstop filled with sand, it should easily catch and trap 9mm projectiles. If he is so incompetent that he cannot hit the center of that backstop at those distances then he should not be shooting anywhere.

I will say i consider the shooters on bpk not responsible. They are shooting over a canal used for access to navigation of the waterways. They are only using a shed and plywood for a backstop, and sending his wife down range, to watch for boaters. Imo this is the same as shooting over a *paved*roadway, which is illegal in florida, and surprised the mp has not charged them.
    Fify

F.S. 790.15 (1)
    Last edited by 2OLD2W8; 02-07-2015 at 08:20 AM.
    “We can ignore reality, but we cannot ignore the consequences of ignoring reality.” Ayn Rand

"free people ought...to be armed." In so doing we grasp the larger lesson that the ability to defend ourselves is part and parcel to our freedom. George Washington , January 7, 1790

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Your reasonable attempts to be courteous will be for naught if but one neighbor lodges a complaint. I too take extra measures to be kind to my neighbor's sensibilities...but ya just never know.

It is ironic that folks move in knowing that there is a cow next door, then complain that the cow is next door.
    +1 Who cares if you annoy commies anyway? Clearly the guy is surrounded by commies complaining...just showing that more target practice is in order.
    pew pew pew ..