Thread: Wyoming House approves bill allowing guns in schools

Wyoming House approves bill allowing guns in schools

Democrats and others who opposed the bill sought unsuccessfully to amend the measure to leave it up to local school systems to decide whether to opt out of their gun-free classifications. Opponents also asserted that backers were raising “phony” alarms about infringements on constitutional gun rights.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0L624R20150202
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I just moved to Wyoming.....AIN"T IT GRAND

>>>>>Legislation that would allow people with concealed-gun permits to carry firearms into public schools and government meetings won easy approval from the Wyoming House of Representatives on Monday after a debate over rising gun violence in U.S. schools.

The bill, supported by leaders of the Republican-led House, would repeal “gun-free zones” carved out around elementary and secondary schools, as well as colleges and universities.<<<<<

I have to say I can't stand when articles mislead the general populace; People with Concealed-gun permits can already legally carry firearms into schools and government meetings in Wyoming as long as they do NOT conceal it. Wyoming only outlaws the concealed-carry of guns in schools, there is NO law stating that you cannot openly-carry. I do support this bill and have let our State Senators know as much, but wish that people/media would quit stating untruth (I am not however holding my breath waiting on the media to state 100% truth).
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

RE: Concealed carry in schools

Quote Originally Posted by MatieA View Post
    >>>>>Legislation that would allow people with concealed-gun permits to carry firearms into public schools and government meetings won easy approval from the Wyoming House of Representatives on Monday after a debate over rising gun violence in U.S. schools.

The bill, supported by leaders of the Republican-led House, would repeal “gun-free zones” carved out around elementary and secondary schools, as well as colleges and universities.<<<<<

I have to say I can't stand when articles mislead the general populace; People with Concealed-gun permits can already legally carry firearms into schools and government meetings in Wyoming as long as they do NOT conceal it. Wyoming only outlaws the concealed-carry of guns in schools, there is NO law stating that you cannot openly-carry. I do support this bill and have let our State Senators know as much, but wish that people/media would quit stating untruth (I am not however holding my breath waiting on the media to state 100% truth).
    I will first state that I do not know Wyoming laws regarding the carry of firearms on school property. But I read the Reuters article and it only states that they are trying to pass legislation to allow concealed carry onto school property. I am having a hard time understanding the point of your post. Why do you object to this legislation. A person should be able to carry concealed or openly, as is their choice. Nowhere did I see anything to indicate that this bill would disallow the open carry of firearms. I would need to see the actual bill and the actual Wyoming statutes on this issue to make an informed opinion.. Any cites? Just trying to understand what message you are trying to convey.
    Last edited by defcon4; 02-06-2015 at 10:24 AM.

I do not object to the legislation. I stated that in my post, I support the legislation, I just don't like how they keep writing things making it sound as if what I and a few others do on a daily basis is illegal. I do carry at the local college and have carried at a couple of high schools. It is not illegal if done within the boundaries of the existing laws, which I would love to see go away.
    Last edited by MatieA; 02-06-2015 at 10:29 AM.
    If you do not test yourself every single day,
    then it is just another wasted day.
    --Semper Fi--

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MatieA View Post
    I do not object to the legislation. I stated that in my post, I support the legislation, I just don't like how they keep writing things making it sound as if what I and a few others do on a daily basis is illegal. I do carry at the local college and have carried at a couple of high schools. It is not illegal if done within the boundaries of the existing laws, which I would love to see go away.
    Laws do not superseded rights. FYI

Sir, I do not think you are entirely correct in the following portion of your comment: "People with Concealed-gun permits can already legally carry firearms into schools and government meetings in Wyoming as long as they do NOT conceal it (emphasis added). Wyoming only outlaws the concealed-carry of guns in schools, there is NO law stating that you cannot openly-carry. "

I believe Representative Jaggi proposed this Bill specifically because of recent incidents that happened during meetings of the Casper, WY City Council. The Casper City Council passed an ordinance in violation to the State of Wyoming's laws, banning the open carry of firearms into any Council meeting, or a meeting of its Committees. Representative Jaggi appeared before the Council, in an open meeting, openly carrying at the time prior to the passing of this ordinance, and spoke in opposition to the proposed Ordinance explaining the illegality of it. The Council still passed the Ordinance. There are other cities in Wyoming that have similar ordinances. This I believe Representative Jaggi's submission of this Bill is meant to strengthen the current Wyoming law and force the City of Casper and other cities and towns that have ordinances of this type to repeal those illegal Ordinances they now have on their books.

I understand you are not opposed to this Bill, I just want to clarify that the open carrying of firearms into governmental meetings in some towns and cities in Wyoming is currently not legal.

And, I'm not totally convinced that what you say about me walking into a school openly carrying a firearm is 100% true. I am going to reserve my final thoughts on that one. For now, I don't think I will test it anytime soon to see what the outcome might be.