Thread: Interactive i-books, IPython notebooks, reproducible data manipulation reliability

Interactive i-books, IPython notebooks, reproducible data manipulation reliability

Eschewing TV, I have for months now been streaming lectures, primarily Stanford U's Leonard Susskind's physics (from classical mechanics, through quantum this and relativity that, to String and M-theory).

At his Entanglement lectures I wanted to get more in depth with Dirac bra-ket notation, with which I am not so familiar as algebra and calculus, so I found interactive Python, IPython and its various specialized modules, like SymPy for manipulation of symbolic maths like bra-ket. ALL FREE OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE

From there I discovered a whole new genre of on-line publishing in interactive notebooks that perform and display the calculations in-line for examination, criticism and adjustment/editing.

On Topic, here is Some gun violence analysis with Wikipedia data http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/minrk/4358066

I don't know how it will display without the Python library, but maybe it will inspire younger our dogs, still able to easily learn new tricks, to this new interactive literature. For me, it's a brain strain making me sleep ten hours a day with naps.

I am at the moment reading studying Probabilistic Programming and Bayesian Methods for Hackers (LOL@me a hacker)
    CamDavidsonPilon-Probabilistic-Programming-and-Bayesian-Methods-for-Hackers-d77af86 (at https://github.com/ipython/ipython/w...tory-tutorials) for insights into the Bayesian subjective interpretation of QM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Banned
    Have you figured out why no unified theory has been successful yet?

Have you stopped beating your significant other yet?

Better a good error than a bad question. The Standard Models, from particle physics to cosmology, are largely unified, but still a moth-eaten patch-work with holes. Quantum Mechanics rules them all.

Theoretical Cosmology - and he has used the notion of so-called quantum fluctuations to construct a theory that provides a precise picture of the crucial initial phase of the evolution of our Universe: For without the minimal variations in energy density that result from the tiny but unavoidable quantum fluctuations, one cannot account for the formation of stars, planets and galaxies that characterize the Universe we observe today.
    http://phys.org/news/2015-02-cosmolo...-news-big.html
    When Heisenberg speaks, even the cosmos listens. Delta-position times delta-momentum is greater than or equal to half of the reduced Planck Constant.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-06-2015 at 07:51 AM.

dm clearly does not appreciate the gravity of the situation.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Eschewing TV, I have for months now been streaming lectures, primarily Stanford U's Leonard Susskind's physics (from classical mechanics, through quantum this and relativity that, to String and M-theory).

At his Entanglement lectures I wanted to get more in depth with Dirac bra-ket notation, with which I am not so familiar as algebra and calculus, so I found interactive Python, IPython and its various specialized modules, like SymPy for manipulation of symbolic maths like bra-ket. ALL FREE OPEN SOURCE SOFTWARE

From there I discovered a whole new genre of on-line publishing in interactive notebooks that perform and display the calculations in-line for examination, criticism and adjustment/editing.

On Topic, here is Some gun violence analysis with Wikipedia data http://nbviewer.ipython.org/gist/minrk/4358066

I don't know how it will display without the Python library, but maybe it will inspire younger our dogs, still able to easily learn new tricks, to this new interactive literature. For me, it's a brain strain making me sleep ten hours a day with naps.

I am at the moment reading studying Probabilistic Programming and Bayesian Methods for Hackers (LOL@me a hacker)
    CamDavidsonPilon-Probabilistic-Programming-and-Bayesian-Methods-for-Hackers-d77af86 (at https://github.com/ipython/ipython/w...tory-tutorials) for insights into the Bayesian subjective interpretation of QM.
    Same to you.....

Accomplished Advocate color of law's Avatar
    Liars figure and figures lie. Manipulating figures or using manipulated figures is problematic, it skews reality. And is done to support an argument to your way of thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by color of law View Post
    Liars figure and figures lie. Manipulating figures or using manipulated figures is problematic, it skews reality. And is done to support an argument to your way of thinking.
    LOL Benoit Mandelbrot pointed out that reality is more than skewed as it is fractally complex. Look into the Julia Set, the common fractal image, to see that it is equally complex at any scale, then remember that it is a complex vector space in ONLY three dimensions; vertical and horizontal on your monitor and color space.