• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC in car

reroka

Hello all,

Some what new here, I have lurked and read a lot. A few days ago I bout a .40 cal Smith &wesson SDVE. I want to start to open carry. However When I am in my car what is the best way? Do I unload it and put it on the front seat? Do I leave it on my hip unCCed?

Any help would be great.

325rto

Re, if you read through previous threads, you will find your answer. Some will say leave in holster. Some will say to put on seat. Familiarize yourself with the nc laws.

dmatting

This has definitely been covered before, but I have found that it is sometimes difficult to find what you are looking for in these forums. I would encourage you to seek and find, though.

Regarding OC carry in a car, you will get as many opinions on this as there are posters to this board. There are a number of options to choose from. If you pick any of them - DON"T unload your pistol. NC doesn't distinguish between loaded and unloaded and unloaded does you absolutely no good.

You can put it on your dashboard (I sometimes do this - I have one of those "schticky pads" on the dash - this isn't my preferred method, though)
You can put it on the passenger seat if no one is with you
(These first two options leave the gun unsecured - so in the event of a sudden stop or accident they can go flying)
Strong (rare earth) Magnets - I've heard of people taking magnets and fastening them to a surface and the magnet holds the gun in place (the slide on a semi)
Use the passenger side seat belt to hold a holster that holds your pistol.
Affix some type of holster to a hardpoint, like the dash or someplace visible.
Keep the pistol in your OC holster. Some will say that the seatbelt covers the gun and then its concealed. Others will say hogwash and that they have been pulled over many times and have never had a problem. I know that many cops see it from an intent perspective - the gun is in its holster and the intent is OC, not CC - much like walking up to someone from their left side while the pistol is OC on their right side and not seeing it.

It's as clear as mud. Glad I could help. :)

Last edited:

reroka

1st OCing this weekend

Yesterday I bought my holster and Nanvault 200 for my car/bike. This weekend I will be going out on my bike since Sunday will be nice. I live in Timberlake and will be going to Yanceyville public range. On my way there I plan on having my .40 cal S&W SDVE. I have yet to shoot a .40 call. The only other pistol I have fired is a 9mm.

I am scared to do so but I do not plan to back out.

The Nanvault 200 has a nice a cable that I can attach to my bike frarm and put the safe in my sabble bag.

dmatting

Yesterday I bought my holster and Nanvault 200 for my car/bike. This weekend I will be going out on my bike since Sunday will be nice. I live in Timberlake and will be going to Yanceyville public range. On my way there I plan on having my .40 cal S&W SDVE. I have yet to shoot a .40 call. The only other pistol I have fired is a 9mm.

The Nanvault 200 has a nice a cable that I can attach to my bike frarm and put the safe in my sabble bag.

You have the option to open carry on your motorcycle, as well. I, and many others, do it all the time.

Lanesd9ve

The sdve models are actually nice. Just because its a cheaper gun (350$ or so) its a great gun. Very similar to the Glock, considering smith got sued by Glock over the gun. I have the 9 and I love it. A .40 really isn't that bad to control. My gun handles recoil great, even though its a 9 but it barely moves. Its very loud, louder than my brothers Kimber Raptor in .45acp. You'll be happy with the sd40ve trust me brother.

reroka

I am very happy with it, I put 100 plus rounds though this weekend. I am not able to rapid fire it and stay on target. I can do two rounds but not more than that.

The gun is very loud, but I am so glad I bought the 40 cal. I am not sure I would have been happy with a 9mm.

Since I bought the guy I have been openly carring my pistol every where I go and plan on doing every day. Just something I have to get used to. Like wearing a watch.

Now all i need to do is get a few items to make it a little more comfrontable . I need some rubber for the grip, would like to get a laser sight for it and thats about it.

The sdve models are actually nice. Just because its a cheaper gun (350$ or so) its a great gun. Very similar to the Glock, considering smith got sued by Glock over the gun. I have the 9 and I love it. A .40 really isn't that bad to control. My gun handles recoil great, even though its a 9 but it barely moves. Its very loud, louder than my brothers Kimber Raptor in .45acp. You'll be happy with the sd40ve trust me brother.

nikogto

I carried last week when at work, I manage a repair shop in Concord, it was pretty much concealed which is fine since I run the place and the owner does not care. When I leave for work and back home, I would remove it from my holster and set it right on top of my center console in my Tahoe, would that be considered "fine" for open carry while driving? I've seen and heard of people sticking the gun on the dash, but that would seem to just slide all over the place. Bike season is starting again soon too, I plan on open carry while I ride also.

WalkingWolf

I like the idea of duct taping it to your forehead. It is clearly visible, just don't try and scratch your head, especially during a stop.:uhoh:

For myself most times I just leave the gun on my hip. But some people are jittery doing that. On long drives I also have taken the gun belt and secured it around the seat, this is comfortable, and the sidearm is clearly visible. Just make sure it is to the side of the seat, not behind the seat, some numpty officers might consider behind the seat concealed. You could also have a holster mounted to your center console, then the officer could see it from either side.

nikogto

I like the idea of duct taping it to your forehead. It is clearly visible, just don't try and scratch your head, especially during a stop.:uhoh:

For myself most times I just leave the gun on my hip. But some people are jittery doing that. On long drives I also have taken the gun belt and secured it around the seat, this is comfortable, and the sidearm is clearly visible. Just make sure it is to the side of the seat, not behind the seat, some numpty officers might consider behind the seat concealed. You could also have a holster mounted to your center console, then the officer could see it from either side.

Having it on your hip would be more concealed, no? If you don't have a ccp that is. I thought it would have to be out in the open where an approaching officer would be able to see it. I would just pull mine out of the holster and lay it on the center console. But I'm still learning .

WalkingWolf

Having it on your hip would be more concealed, no? If you don't have a ccp that is. I thought it would have to be out in the open where an approaching officer would be able to see it. I would just pull mine out of the holster and lay it on the center console. But I'm still learning .

Would it be concealed sitting in a booth at your local burger joint? If your clothing slips over the gun then it is concealed, though maybe not intentionally. Concealing can be applied to anytime if you use the line that somebody can't see it ALL the time. If you are walking down the street and your neighbor cannot see your sidearm because it is on your opposite side does not make it concealing.

But it is your choice, keeping it on the hip makes some people squeamish. I have had no problems with it, even when I had to get out of my truck for a DOT trooper. My opinion is if a officers sees you have a gun without a pat down search it is not concealed~~~because he can see it. Because you are sitting and line of sight blocks it, is not RAS for a pat down search, or to get you out of the car to see if you are armed. If you are ordered out of the car, the officer then "sees" the firearm, making it not concealed.

Again it is your choice.