Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Carry Tarrant County Leader makes "veiled" threat of death

State Researcher

Open Carry Tarrant County Leader makes "veiled" threat of death

The website Personal Liberty is carrying a story about "Kory Watkins, leader of Open Carry Tarrant County, [who] recently posted a chilling video to his Facebook page that appears to level threats at Texas state lawmakers."

Quote Originally Posted by Personal Liberty Article

The video .... appears to build on Watkins’ veiled threats to the office of Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick last week.

He ... suggest[s] that failure to open Texas up to open carry of pistols without any licensing requirements is tantamount to treason.

“We should demanding these people give us our rights back or it’s punishable by death. Treason. Do you understand how serious this is Texas?” Watkins asks. “This is treason against the American people. You don’t sell my right back to me. You’re going to find trouble.”

Earlier in the video, he suggests the time has come for guns rights activists to move beyond peaceful protests.

“I don’t think they want to mess around with us too much longer. They better start giving us our rights or this peaceful non-cooperation stuff is going to be gamed up. We are going to step it up a notch. I think here in Texas we are tired of jacking around with people in suits,” Watkins said.

One state representative, Democrat Poncho Nevarez is already under state protection after he spoke out against open carry legislation and was threatened.

Fellow gun-rights activists were quick to denounce Watkin’s actions.

“That kind of rhetoric does absolutely nothing to get gun rights passed in Texas,” said CJ Grisham, head of Open Carry Texas.

Open Carry Texas, one of the main groups lobbying for open-carry legislation, has sought to distance themselves from the more aggressive antics of Open Carry Tarrant County and Watkins.

“We’ve become Kory Watch instead of Open Carry Texas,” [Grisham] said.
    Last edited by utbagpiper; 02-05-2015 at 01:06 PM.
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

From the link URL above:
    Texas Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America issued a statement denouncing “Watkins and other open carry extremists.” The open-carriers and Moms Demand Action have tangled several times in recent months.

“These antics are no longer just theatrics and dramatic advocacy. Open-carry extremists have been threatening the safety and sanity of our communities for far too long and now they are threatening the lives of Texas legislators,” says Claire Larson, identified by the gun-control group as a former NRA-certified rifle instructor.
    LOL Follow the money to P4P
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-05-2015 at 01:13 PM. Reason: Emphasis for the hard of reading
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Kory Watkins, Bloomberg plant or some other anti-Second Amendment group?

He needs to moderate how he communicates. While I am sure it is hyperbole, it allows the people who claim they are scared to claim some more that they are scared.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    He needs to moderate how he communicates. While I am sure it is hyperbole, it allows the people who claim they are scared to claim some more that they are scared.
    isn't that the same prior restraint that chafes some here on OCDO, those that wear, for instance, drop-leg holsters, or all black or body mods?
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Watching the video I didn't hear him make a threat. He stated that those in office swore an oath to up hold the Constitution and if they don't legalize Constitutional carry in his view it's treason, which is punishable by death. Kory's statement is over the top, but he has a right to his viewpoint and that's all it was so far.

Perfect guy if he is working for the Antis. He's not very likable and kinda creepy.
    Last edited by OC Freedom; 02-05-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    isn't that the same prior restraint that chafes some here on OCDO, those that wear, for instance, drop-leg holsters, or all black or body mods?
    I don't think so, he was talking about the death penalty for Texas politicians not complying with the constitution. While I don't consider it an outright threat, government agents might, and clearly another OC organization in Texas was offended by it. I think calling it treason was ok, he could have left the death penalty part out.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Yes. He made several clarifications after the media began running stories distorting his intended communication, but he probably should have known that was going to happen and thought more carefully about how to say what he wanted to say with more clarity.
    Advocate freedom please

what a friend. geez

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator View Post
    Yes. He made several clarifications after the media began running stories distorting his intended communication, but he probably should have known that was going to happen and thought more carefully about how to say what he wanted to say with more clarity.
    Honestly, that guy shouldn't be making any statements to the press, regardless of his intentions. It's people like him that could set this whole movement back years.

From today's (liberal) Dallas Mornings News editorial page warning of murder, death and mayhem if OC comes to Texas.

“Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Also in DMN opposite editorial

-Thomas Hobbes 1651

State Researcher
    At some point, threats of death cross the line from free speech into criminal threats of violence or inciting riots. At some point prior to that, even perfectly legal, protected free speech can be counterproductive to the reasons someone claims to be engaging in that speech.

In like manner, at some point, handling of a gun can cross the line from protected bearing of arms into brandishing, threats, or disruption of public business. At some point prior to that, even perfectly legal, protected bearing of arms might be counterproductive to the political and social reasons someone claims to be engaging in that bearing of arms.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

--Marxist.org

What a dunce. Isn't the TX OC Bill pretty much on the fast track to being passed? Now this?
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

Yeah, there is an op-ed piece in the Huffington that make us all sound like we're one step from ISIS. It's a load of BS, and we all know it, but we also all know how mass liberal leaning media spin and blow things out of porportion.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/josh-h...b_6651986.html

Banned
    I wonder what this country would look like today if every "strongly worded" statement against King George from the founding fathers (no I'm not comparing Watkins) was shot down and chastised by the colonists?

Nevermind we're almost there again, we just aren't flying the Union Jack.

Charles decided to lob a hand grenade in the room and see what transpired in this thread before commenting in the usual Pro-State manner. Heaven forbid our Government ever fear it's SUBJECTS again.

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post
    Charles decided to lob a hand grenade in the room and see what transpired in this thread before commenting in the usual Pro-State manner. Heaven forbid our Government ever fear it's SUBJECTS again.
    So providing a link, without comment, to a news article regarding events directly related to OC is "lob[bing] a hand grenade"?

That is laughable coming from the guy who so frequently seems to be playing the part of agent provocateur to get law-abiding gun owners to start in on some kind of armed insurrection against our government.

Charles

--Marxist.org

State Researcher
    I wonder what this country would look like today if every "strongly worded" statement against King George from the founding fathers (no I'm not comparing Watkins) was shot down and chastised by the colonists?
    And I wonder how we'd look if every time someone had some disagreement with laws they started a war rather than working through peaceful, lawful, political means. Oh wait, no need to wonder; check out any number of third-world banana republics.

The colonists did not turn to violence until every possible, peaceful political means had been exhausted. Even then, they did not start a war, they acted in defense when the English military acted against them. Despite the just nature of the Colonists' cause, they endured an 8 year slug fest of famine, poverty, death, and destruction. That they won was a miracle. That they managed to form a functioning nation rather than ending up with a different, worse dictator, or even degenerating into something like the French revolution a few years later is an even larger miracle.

How dare you degrade the service of our military members is the same breath you claim you are sick of "BS wars" and then turn around at every other opportunity to incite for civil wars.

When it comes to RKBA and OC, the last 25 years in this nation are a testament of the success of grassroots political work. We've gone from two States with either permit-free carry or shall issue to over 40 with shall issue, 5 with permit free, and half dozen more with bills to advance permit free carry this year. Self defense laws have been strengthened in this time period. And for the first time in our nation's history the SCOTUS has declared that the 2nd amendment does protect an individual RKBA, not dependent on any military or militia membership or service and that said right is operative against the States.

This is exactly NOT the time to even consider violence nor anything other than doing what has proven to work. Make a note of where RKBA and OC is today. Check back in 10 years and see how much progress has been made.

This is an RKBA/OC forum. Its rules mandate lawful activities only.

I'm sick of reading your agent provocateur attempts to damage the RKBA community with nearly constant calls for violence.

Charles

--Marxist.org

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post

The colonists did not turn to violence until every possible, peaceful political means had been exhausted.
    Completely incorrect! They were FAR from the "civility" WE practice today.

The colonists COULD have prostrated themselves in front of the King and never thought of active defiance. They could have continued to endure Freedoms lost and Liberty stolen while petitioning for a airing of grievances. Fully cooperated with outright THEFT through taxes. Allowed an ever encroaching State into THEIR HOMES. Put full faith in the "Justice" system the Crown afforded.

Pretty much what you suggest today.

The Charles Doctrine?

State Researcher
    Pretty much what you suggest today.

The Charles Doctrine?
    Nice job knocking down that strawman and lobbying sophomoric insults.

Do tell us what your idea is to regain our liberties. And what have you personally done to advance your chosen course.

Agent provocateur alert. The only question is whether you are some tin-foil hat moron who shouldn't be allowed to roam the streets, or some Bloomberg/Obama crony hoping to turn the tide of rising RKBA/OC successes.

Charles

--Marxist.org

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post
    The only question is whether you are some tin-foil hat moron who shouldn't be allowed to roam the streets, or some Bloomberg/Obama crony hoping to turn the tide of rising RKBA/OC successes.
    Well done Charles, YOU win!

State Researcher
    Well done Charles, YOU win!
    A well regarded member of this forum is fond of pointing out that only an idiot claims a "win" in an internet discussion.

I'm leaning more and more toward tin foil hat in the present case.

Charles

--Marxist.org

Banned
    If I'm not mistaken the Watkins video was made after Dan Patrick stated the OC bill "didn't have support". Patrick was setting the stage for the bill to not even be brought to a vote. Quite a bit of FIRE went Patricks way.

Then we have this. And the bill seems to be moving again.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/...rry-activists/

AUSTIN – Senior staff in the lieutenant governor’s office met with a handful of pro-gun activists Thursday, one day after Dan Patrick sought to smooth over remarks that caused a firestorm on social media among open carry groups.

Kory Watkins, head of Open Carry Tarrant County, and two of the group’s other members met with Patrick’s Senior Advisor Walter Fisher, Chief of Staff Logan Spence and Criminal Justice Policy Advisor Lauren Fleming, Patrick’s office confirmed.

Watkins called the meeting “positive” and said they talked about “how we can help out” to further legislation that would legalize the unlicensed open carry of handguns in Texas. Under current law, you can legally tote long arms like rifles or AR-15s, but the same has been illegal for handguns for more than 125 years.

Just two days ago, however, Watkins and other open carry activists were less happy with the newly-minted leader of the state Senate. After Patrick said he didn’t believe the proposal had enough support in the Legislature to pass this session, open carry advocates from multiple groups took to social media to blast the remarks and call for lawmakers to coalesce around the issue.

Charles why would YOU choose to post a negative story, rail against fellow OCers who choose to "speak FREELY" and get an audience with those they supposedly leveled death threats to?

Kory Watkins IN Dan Patricks offices over a week ago and the bill is moving again. I figured you would be applauding your system working not dredging up OLD anti-gun hysteria that is seriously obsolete/dated.

Wish I had looked up the time line on all of this before wasting my breath.

Who's the AP, charles?

Charles you do more and more every day to convince me I shouldn't read any more of your posts, and it has little to do with your political philosophies.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.

State Researcher

Charles why would YOU choose to post a negative story, rail against fellow OCers who choose to "speak FREELY" and get an audience with those they supposedly leveled death threats to?
    Ironic that you seem to be suggesting that free speech should be limited to those who are offensive. I posted an account directly related to OC. Why does that bother you more than someone lobbing thinly veiled death threats at elected officials?

Charles
    Last edited by utbagpiper; 02-11-2015 at 01:32 PM.

--Marxist.org

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast