• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Tarrant County Leader makes "veiled" threat of death

utbagpiper

Banned
The website Personal Liberty is carrying a story about "Kory Watkins, leader of Open Carry Tarrant County, [who] recently posted a chilling video to his Facebook page that appears to level threats at Texas state lawmakers."

Personal Liberty Article said:
The video .... appears to build on Watkins’ veiled threats to the office of Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick last week.

He ... suggest that failure to open Texas up to open carry of pistols without any licensing requirements is tantamount to treason.

“We should demanding these people give us our rights back or it’s punishable by death. Treason. Do you understand how serious this is Texas?” Watkins asks. “This is treason against the American people. You don’t sell my right back to me. You’re going to find trouble.”

Earlier in the video, he suggests the time has come for guns rights activists to move beyond peaceful protests.

“I don’t think they want to mess around with us too much longer. They better start giving us our rights or this peaceful non-cooperation stuff is going to be gamed up. We are going to step it up a notch. I think here in Texas we are tired of jacking around with people in suits,” Watkins said.

One state representative, Democrat Poncho Nevarez is already under state protection after he spoke out against open carry legislation and was threatened.

Fellow gun-rights activists were quick to denounce Watkin’s actions.

“That kind of rhetoric does absolutely nothing to get gun rights passed in Texas,” said CJ Grisham, head of Open Carry Texas.

Open Carry Texas, one of the main groups lobbying for open-carry legislation, has sought to distance themselves from the more aggressive antics of Open Carry Tarrant County and Watkins.

“We’ve become Kory Watch instead of Open Carry Texas,” [Grisham] said.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

He needs to moderate how he communicates. While I am sure it is hyperbole, it allows the people who claim they are scared to claim some more that they are scared.

OC Freedom

Watching the video I didn't hear him make a threat. He stated that those in office swore an oath to up hold the Constitution and if they don't legalize Constitutional carry in his view it's treason, which is punishable by death. Kory's statement is over the top, but he has a right to his viewpoint and that's all it was so far.

Perfect guy if he is working for the Antis. He's not very likable and kinda creepy.

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

isn't that the same prior restraint that chafes some here on OCDO, those that wear, for instance, drop-leg holsters, or all black or body mods?

I don't think so, he was talking about the death penalty for Texas politicians not complying with the constitution. While I don't consider it an outright threat, government agents might, and clearly another OC organization in Texas was offended by it. I think calling it treason was ok, he could have left the death penalty part out.

stealthyeliminator

He needs to moderate how he communicates. While I am sure it is hyperbole, it allows the people who claim they are scared to claim some more that they are scared.

Yes. He made several clarifications after the media began running stories distorting his intended communication, but he probably should have known that was going to happen and thought more carefully about how to say what he wanted to say with more clarity.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Yes. He made several clarifications after the media began running stories distorting his intended communication, but he probably should have known that was going to happen and thought more carefully about how to say what he wanted to say with more clarity.

Honestly, that guy shouldn't be making any statements to the press, regardless of his intentions. It's people like him that could set this whole movement back years.

HPmatt

From today's (liberal) Dallas Mornings News editorial page warning of murder, death and mayhem if OC comes to Texas.
ad48ebbc0ec1a785b7950943bce88200.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

utbagpiper

Banned
At some point, threats of death cross the line from free speech into criminal threats of violence or inciting riots. At some point prior to that, even perfectly legal, protected free speech can be counterproductive to the reasons someone claims to be engaging in that speech.

In like manner, at some point, handling of a gun can cross the line from protected bearing of arms into brandishing, threats, or disruption of public business. At some point prior to that, even perfectly legal, protected bearing of arms might be counterproductive to the political and social reasons someone claims to be engaging in that bearing of arms.

Charles

The Truth

What a dunce. Isn't the TX OC Bill pretty much on the fast track to being passed? Now this?

Jeff. State

Banned
I wonder what this country would look like today if every "strongly worded" statement against King George from the founding fathers (no I'm not comparing Watkins) was shot down and chastised by the colonists?

Nevermind we're almost there again, we just aren't flying the Union Jack.

Charles decided to lob a hand grenade in the room and see what transpired in this thread before commenting in the usual Pro-State manner. Heaven forbid our Government ever fear it's SUBJECTS again.

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."

Thomas Jefferson

utbagpiper

Banned
Charles decided to lob a hand grenade in the room and see what transpired in this thread before commenting in the usual Pro-State manner. Heaven forbid our Government ever fear it's SUBJECTS again.

So providing a link, without comment, to a news article regarding events directly related to OC is "lob[bing] a hand grenade"?

That is laughable coming from the guy who so frequently seems to be playing the part of agent provocateur to get law-abiding gun owners to start in on some kind of armed insurrection against our government.

Charles

utbagpiper

Banned
I wonder what this country would look like today if every "strongly worded" statement against King George from the founding fathers (no I'm not comparing Watkins) was shot down and chastised by the colonists?

And I wonder how we'd look if every time someone had some disagreement with laws they started a war rather than working through peaceful, lawful, political means. Oh wait, no need to wonder; check out any number of third-world banana republics.

The colonists did not turn to violence until every possible, peaceful political means had been exhausted. Even then, they did not start a war, they acted in defense when the English military acted against them. Despite the just nature of the Colonists' cause, they endured an 8 year slug fest of famine, poverty, death, and destruction. That they won was a miracle. That they managed to form a functioning nation rather than ending up with a different, worse dictator, or even degenerating into something like the French revolution a few years later is an even larger miracle.

How dare you degrade the service of our military members is the same breath you claim you are sick of "BS wars" and then turn around at every other opportunity to incite for civil wars.

When it comes to RKBA and OC, the last 25 years in this nation are a testament of the success of grassroots political work. We've gone from two States with either permit-free carry or shall issue to over 40 with shall issue, 5 with permit free, and half dozen more with bills to advance permit free carry this year. Self defense laws have been strengthened in this time period. And for the first time in our nation's history the SCOTUS has declared that the 2nd amendment does protect an individual RKBA, not dependent on any military or militia membership or service and that said right is operative against the States.

This is exactly NOT the time to even consider violence nor anything other than doing what has proven to work. Make a note of where RKBA and OC is today. Check back in 10 years and see how much progress has been made.

This is an RKBA/OC forum. Its rules mandate lawful activities only.

I'm sick of reading your agent provocateur attempts to damage the RKBA community with nearly constant calls for violence.

Charles

Jeff. State

Banned
The colonists did not turn to violence until every possible, peaceful political means had been exhausted.

Completely incorrect! They were FAR from the "civility" WE practice today.

The colonists COULD have prostrated themselves in front of the King and never thought of active defiance. They could have continued to endure Freedoms lost and Liberty stolen while petitioning for a airing of grievances. Fully cooperated with outright THEFT through taxes. Allowed an ever encroaching State into THEIR HOMES. Put full faith in the "Justice" system the Crown afforded.

Pretty much what you suggest today.

The Charles Doctrine?

utbagpiper

Banned
Pretty much what you suggest today.

The Charles Doctrine?

Nice job knocking down that strawman and lobbying sophomoric insults.

Do tell us what your idea is to regain our liberties. And what have you personally done to advance your chosen course.

Agent provocateur alert. The only question is whether you are some tin-foil hat moron who shouldn't be allowed to roam the streets, or some Bloomberg/Obama crony hoping to turn the tide of rising RKBA/OC successes.

Charles