• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Open Carry Tarrant County Leader makes "veiled" threat of death

Jeff. State

Banned
If I'm not mistaken the Watkins video was made after Dan Patrick stated the OC bill "didn't have support". Patrick was setting the stage for the bill to not even be brought to a vote. Quite a bit of FIRE went Patricks way.

Then we have this. And the bill seems to be moving again.

http://blog.chron.com/texaspolitics/2015/01/dan-patrick-staff-meets-with-open-carry-activists/

AUSTIN – Senior staff in the lieutenant governor’s office met with a handful of pro-gun activists Thursday, one day after Dan Patrick sought to smooth over remarks that caused a firestorm on social media among open carry groups.

Kory Watkins, head of Open Carry Tarrant County, and two of the group’s other members met with Patrick’s Senior Advisor Walter Fisher, Chief of Staff Logan Spence and Criminal Justice Policy Advisor Lauren Fleming, Patrick’s office confirmed.

Watkins called the meeting “positive” and said they talked about “how we can help out” to further legislation that would legalize the unlicensed open carry of handguns in Texas. Under current law, you can legally tote long arms like rifles or AR-15s, but the same has been illegal for handguns for more than 125 years.

Just two days ago, however, Watkins and other open carry activists were less happy with the newly-minted leader of the state Senate. After Patrick said he didn’t believe the proposal had enough support in the Legislature to pass this session, open carry advocates from multiple groups took to social media to blast the remarks and call for lawmakers to coalesce around the issue.

Charles why would YOU choose to post a negative story, rail against fellow OCers who choose to "speak FREELY" and get an audience with those they supposedly leveled death threats to?

Kory Watkins IN Dan Patricks offices over a week ago and the bill is moving again. I figured you would be applauding your system working not dredging up OLD anti-gun hysteria that is seriously obsolete/dated.

Wish I had looked up the time line on all of this before wasting my breath.

Who's the AP, charles?

The Truth

Charles you do more and more every day to convince me I shouldn't read any more of your posts, and it has little to do with your political philosophies.

utbagpiper

Banned
Charles why would YOU choose to post a negative story, rail against fellow OCers who choose to "speak FREELY" and get an audience with those they supposedly leveled death threats to?

Ironic that you seem to be suggesting that free speech should be limited to those who are offensive. I posted an account directly related to OC. Why does that bother you more than someone lobbing thinly veiled death threats at elected officials?

Charles

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
Ironic that you seem to be suggesting that free speech should be limited to those who are offensive. I posted an account directly related to OC. Why does that bother you more than someone lobbing thinly veiled death threats at elected officials?

Charles

Charles it's pretty time consuming having to continually correct your posts. NOWHERE have I suggested limiting free speech. Maybe YOU could post a timeline of events and when threatening statements were made? Because Kory Watkins met with Staffers of Dan Patrick and an unsupported bill according to Patrick suddenly got support again.

Another question for you, what do YOU think Thomas Jefferson meant when he said this?

"When governments fear the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."