Thread: 4th amendment going to be end-rounded w/VA bill-patriot act like powers?

Banned

4th amendment going to be end-rounded w/VA bill-patriot act like powers?

http://watchdog.org/197382/sneak-peek-virginia/

RICHMOND, Va. — Virginia lawmakers want to give local and state authorities the same sweeping search-and-seizure powers used by the FBI and other federal agencies under the Patriot Act.

Senate Bill 919, by state Sen. Jennifer Wexton, D-Leesburg, passed 39-1 last month. A similar measure, House Bill 1946 by Delegate Jennifer McClellan, D-Richmond, awaits action.

Would think you could take them to court for violating your 4A rights. Would expect to see ACLU and right wing legal groups unite on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HPmatt View Post
    Would think you could take them to court for violating your 4A rights. Would expect to see ACLU and right wing legal groups unite on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Passed one house 39 to 1. patriot act has not been overturned. Stop looking to courts to solve issues...they are not your friend.
    Last edited by davidmcbeth; 02-05-2015 at 10:37 PM.

Read the actual changes this bill proposes. I don't see that much difference in what is already law.

SB 919 Administrative subpoenas; electronic communication services, sealing of subpoena.

TFred

I think the point is that Virginia is superior to many states in certain specific liberties, however there is work to do in other realms beyond 2A advocacy, and Virginia is FAR from perfect in any regard, especially based on the ideas this state was founded upon.

Jefferson may have been a slave owner but he had more in common with most of us than we may realize.

Wish I could provide a cite but I am always learning and this is my opinion.
    Sic semper evello mortem tyrannis.

μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by stealthyeliminator
    So in actuality you have no evidence that anything wrong took place, you only believe that it could be spun to appear wrong. But it hasn't been. The truth has a funny way of coming out with persistence, even if it was spun negatively the truth would find its way because these people will not accept less.
    Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    The truth causes some people so much pain they can only respond with impotent laughable insults. Life must be rough for those people.