• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

More free public handgun ranges

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries to Build more Ranges!
Mr. Rick Busch, Deputy Director of the VA DGIF and said that they plan on building more public ranges like those in Amelia and Chickahominy. Amelia is going to be closed until August as they improve the rifle range and allow for handicapped access.

Importantly he said that they plan to add a handgun shooting range to Amelia at some unspecified point in the future (they already have one at Chickahominy). They also plan more of these rifle and handgun ranges across the state!!

Chickahominy is to be the model for the new ranges and it is a beauty, not to mention free A new rifle/pistol range costs abou $150,000 to build (Amelia needs about $50,000 since it would only be adding a pistol range). That includes the cost of land, clearing it, permits, backstops, buildings, etc. DGIF plans on doing this as
money permits. It turns out that they can also take donations toward the cause.

Let's let DGIF hear from us on this issue. We should call and/or e-mail both the Director, Bill Woodfin, and his Deputy, Rich Busch. Thank them for the Amelia and Chickahominy ranges and encourage them to add a handgun range to Amelia and build more rifle/pistol ranges around the state. Tell them how important ranges are to the future of the Right to Keep and Bear Arms and how great it is for the Commonwealth to support Virginia's gun owners. If you would like to contribute money to the cause, ask Mr. Busch how you may do so.

Here is their contact information:
Bill Woodfin
Director
Phone: 804-367-1000
E-mail: bwoodfin@dgif.state.va.us

Rick Busch
Deputy Director
Phone: 804-367-1215
E-mail: rbusch@dgif.state.va.us

Also contact your Senator and Delegate and encourage them to provide more tax dollars to DGIF for ranges.

Last edited:

drewf

Chickahominy handguns?

Please clarify on handguns at Chickahominy WMA. I shoot there fairly regularly and the use of pistols or handguns is prohibited. Has been for about 8 years at least. Are we seeing a thaw here? Will they allow handguns again? Please tell me it is so!! I have a Remington New Model Army replica with a Taylor & Co cartridge conversion kit I'd love to bring there! Don't think the local indoor ranges look too favorably on the unjacketed lead loads.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Please clarify on handguns at Chickahominy WMA. I shoot there fairly regularly and the use of pistols or handguns is prohibited. Has been for about 8 years at least. Are we seeing a thaw here? Will they allow handguns again? Please tell me it is so!! I have a Remington New Model Army replica with a Taylor & Co cartridge conversion kit I'd love to bring there! Don't think the local indoor ranges look too favorably on the unjacketed lead loads.

Yep Grape...they had a very nice pistol range but closed7it. When asked why,they said they didn't consider pistols hunting weapons. It didn't break my heart though. Every time I went there'd be a self appointed range nazi being a PITA...They always seemed to be from VB.

FBrinson

Yep Grape...they had a very nice pistol range but closed7it. When asked why,they said they didn't consider pistols hunting weapons. It didn't break my heart though. Every time I went there'd be a self appointed range nazi being a PITA...They always seemed to be from VB.

Hah! I remember that guy! Didn't he live in a van over by the river? Seriously, I think he lived in a van... down by the river... a white van

That guy really used to piss me off. He did not work for the state but acted like he ran the place.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Yep Grape...they had a very nice pistol range but closed it. When asked why,they said they didn't consider pistols hunting weapons. It didn't break my heart though. Every time I went there'd be a self appointed range nazi being a PITA...They always seemed to be from VB.
Apparently been some change of heart. Time will tell.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Hah! I remember that guy! Didn't he live in a van over by the river? Seriously, I think he lived in a van... down by the river... a white van

That guy really used to piss me off. He did not work for the state but acted like he ran the place.

I don't know where he lived but he made me so mad one day I threatened to use him to sweep up the brass.