• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

can I open carry my pistol in south boston

reroka

Area, I will be on my bike today and want to carry my smith & wesson 40 cal? What do I need to watch for ?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Yes.

Not sure if the local cops are dumb enough to try and harass you, but just have not heard anything suggesting that. It could be they know the law or that nobody OCs in tje area.

Watch out for broken glass, nails/screws, and of course those guns that are always just lying in the streets. Any of them could wreck your tires if you rode over them. (If you are going to stop and pick them up, be sure you can do so in a safe manner that does not impede traffic.)

Unless you have good fenders and mud flaps I would advise against riding through all the blood flowing in the streets - it can be a real pain to get spatter stains out if they sit too long.

Take pictures of any guns you found lying in the street so we can jealously drool over your find(s).

Enjoy yourself.

stay safe.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Forgot to mention this above -

I'm not aware of any caliber-haters out that way, but if anybody does make fun of your choice of .40 Slow and Weak just smile and continue riding. No matter where you go haters gonna hate.:D

stay safe.

Shovelhead

Area, I will be on my bike today and want to carry my smith & wesson 40 cal? What do I need to watch for ?

Watch out for guys with long hair driving black Escalades towing ATVs, or pretty much any other driver with a cell phone in their hand.
Other than that, you should be good.
Keep your knees in the breeze.

Last edited:

reroka

LOL,

Did not find any guns on the street. Too Bad that would have been very nice.

I rode my Honda Shadow 750 up in south boston. Passed some cops with my S&W .40 cal on my right hip. Cop looked at me at the stop light and did nothing. When the cop came up beside me I was a little nervus but I had been nervus for no reason.

I love riding up there, every nice ride on.

Yes.

Not sure if the local cops are dumb enough to try and harass you, but just have not heard anything suggesting that. It could be they know the law or that nobody OCs in tje area.

Watch out for broken glass, nails/screws, and of course those guns that are always just lying in the streets. Any of them could wreck your tires if you rode over them. (If you are going to stop and pick them up, be sure you can do so in a safe manner that does not impede traffic.)

Unless you have good fenders and mud flaps I would advise against riding through all the blood flowing in the streets - it can be a real pain to get spatter stains out if they sit too long.

Take pictures of any guns you found lying in the street so we can jealously drool over your find(s).

Enjoy yourself.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
LOL,

Did not find any guns on the street. Too Bad that would have been very nice.

I rode my Honda Shadow 750 up in south boston. Passed some cops with my S&W .40 cal on my right hip. Cop looked at me at the stop light and did nothing. When the cop came up beside me I was a little nervus but I had been nervus for no reason.

I love riding up there, every nice ride on.

Glad you enjoyed the ride. Try rt 49 in Lunenburg and Mecklenburg some time. Beautiful curves, no traffic and no problem with law enforcment.

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
Hey reroka, glad your trip to South Boston went well. There used to be an occasional poster here from the Lynchburg area, that's down in South Boston now. I don't think I've read of him having any trouble with the local police or more than 1 or 2 businesses. Maybe he'll post up and fill us in on life in South Boston. I don't spend much time down that way, but I've never had any issue in the few businesses I have been in.

From your listed location it looks like you're in the Lynchburg area near a few of us on here. Hopefully we can have a chance to meet for a meal and you can meet some of the other OCers in town.

Last edited:

reroka

I would love that. Find a nice weekend and I will ride anywhere on my bike.

Hey reroka, glad your trip to South Boston went well. There used to be an occasional poster here from the Lynchburg area, that's down in South Boston now. I don't think I've read of him having any trouble with the local police or more than 1 or 2 businesses. Maybe he'll post up and fill us in on life in South Boston. I don't spend much time down that way, but I've never had any issue in the few businesses I have been in.

From your listed location it looks like you're in the Lynchburg area near a few of us on here. Hopefully we can have a chance to meet for a meal and you can meet some of the other OCers in town.

180shabah

reroka,

Glad you enjoyed your trip through town. The police here are prety much a non-issue with reguards to OC. You might get a second glance, but that is about it. Business in town are about the same with a couple of exceptions, Burger King on 58, bowling alley and a few of the banks have criminals only stickers, But I OC daily and just avoid those few places.....

180shabah

Don't run into OC real often here, but spot CC almost daily. Although, if I spot them, they are not as "C" as they think they are :banghead:

jmelvin

Founder's Club Member
That's something I really don't get. If you're not going to bother going actually concealing your pistol well, why bother to cover it at all? It's as if the person wants it to not be immediately observed, but wants it to be seen upon closer inspection. I have to restrain myself from going up to them and asking what they're carrying. Yeesh.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
That's something I really don't get. If you're not going to bother going actually concealing your pistol well, why bother to cover it at all? It's as if the person wants it to not be immediately observed, but wants it to be seen upon closer inspection. I have to restrain myself from going up to them and asking what they're carrying. Yeesh.

I (OCing) asked another customer in the barber shop today what he (CCing OWB) was carrying. He replied, "Why do you think I am carrying?"

LOL I said, "Because you printing so clearly. It's at your right side kidney - my guess is a Beretta 92."

"Aaa, yea right," says he with a somewhat long face
sadbanana.gif