• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

New guy from Florida at OCDO

rickyII

Hi, all. I'm rickyII, born and raised in RI and transplanted to FL in 2009.

RI gun laws suck big time. FL laws are much better, but nowhere near ideal.

I own three hand guns and always carry one. I cannot legally carry openly, but should
be entitled to that right without the need for the permission of any government.

I strongly believe in the Second Amendment. I believe that any citizen of
the USA should be free to bear arms without restriction, except that I believe
that felons and the mentally ill should not be able to own, be in possession of,
or carry any firearms.

I believe that those campaigning for gun rights by gathering groups to assemble
in restaurants and other public places while openly carrying rifles are idiots and do
nothing to advance the cause and only serve to add to the ranks of the gun haters.

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
Hi, all. I'm rickyII, born and raised in RI and transplanted to FL in 2009.

RI gun laws suck big time. FL laws are much better, but nowhere near ideal.

I own three hand guns and always carry one. I cannot legally carry openly, but should
be entitled to that right without the need for the permission of any government.

I strongly believe in the Second Amendment. I believe that any citizen of
the USA should be free to bear arms without restriction, except that I believe
that felons and the mentally ill should not be able to own, be in possession of,
or carry any firearms.

in restaurants and other public places while openly carrying rifles are idiots and do
nothing to advance the cause and only serve to add to the ranks of the gun haters.

Actually ricky, you are able to open carry in Florida while fishing, hunting, camping, shooting or going to or from said activity. Sorry that you seem to harbor quite a bit of resentment towards open carry activists to specifically mention them in your own introduction.

rickyII

Actually ricky, you are able to open carry in Florida while fishing, hunting, camping, shooting or going to or from said activity. Sorry that you seem to harbor quite a bit of resentment towards open carry activists to specifically mention them in your own introduction.
I have no problem with open carry activists. I am pro open carry. I do have a problem with open carry activists that use intimidation as a tactic.

I am aware of the options for open carry in FL and only traveling to and from the range would apply to me, but I do not want to endure the hassles that may arise should I be noticed by LE.

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
I have no problem with open carry activists. I am pro open carry. I do have a problem with open carry activists that use intimidation as a tactic.

I am aware of the options for open carry in FL and only traveling to and from the range would apply to me, but I do not want to endure the hassles that may arise should I be noticed by LE.

I dont know of a single group or incident where "Intimidation" was a tactic used to spread the word. Please cite. Simply walking into a place of business with your firearm is not an intimidation tactic.

ADulay

RickyII,

I've been open carrying in Florida now, on a DAILY basis, for over four years now and I don't find being "noticed" by LEO to be all that big a deal. About twice a year I even get to talk to them when they want to see what I'm doing.

The more you open carry, the more comfortable you become with it and being "hassled" (I wouldn't really call it that) is a non-event.

Have you had any "hassles" with the LEO's in your area while open carrying?

Obviously I'm not open carrying a slung AR-15, just the normal full size and compact Glock as needed that day.

AD

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona rickyII.:)

Even if you have no intent to intimidate you can be intimidating.

I'll partially agree: I was once considered "offensive" simply for the melanin content of my skin; not doing anything wrong, not even armed at the time, and simply trying to engage in civil discourse (not even about Rights). It was just the melanin content of my skin that the person found offensive. True story.
/end sarcasm, but not truth of my anecdote

I don't think it's a question of someone being "intimidating" so much as the person feeling intimidated having an irrational fear of an inanimate object. Case in point: my cousin's children are "intimidated" by grasshoppers, beetles, and moths. Last I checked, those critters were just doing there thing, not trying to scare off the kids, or be aggressive in any way.

Add.
My point is: Your quote:

Seems to equate those who have encounters with Opinion Enforcement Officers (look just like Law Enforcement Officers and Peace Officers, but are known to regurgitate unsubstantiated rhetoric as well as large volumes of heated noxious gases from their oral orifice) with "intimidation tactics". I may be (and hope I am) wrong.

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
Even if you have no intent to intimidate you can be intimidating.

So should "large" men, "scary tattoed" individuals, dark complected minorities, etc. stay out of public spaces because they may "intimidate" some by their mere presence? You ask around this nation and you will find MANY examples of how others are "intimidated" by completely nonthreatening people or objects.

I hope you realize that your view on this is VERY prejudicial and somewhat irrational.

rickyII

honest

So should "large" men, "scary tattoed" individuals, dark complected minorities, etc. stay out of public spaces because they may "intimidate" some by their mere presence? You ask around this nation and you will find MANY examples of how others are "intimidated" by completely nonthreatening people or objects.

I hope you realize that your view on this is VERY prejudicial and somewhat irrational.

If your objective is to make people comfortable having openly carried AR-15s, etc., around them, fine. But many people are, in fact, intimidated by a number of people entering a restaurant with those weapons slung over their shoulders, whether it be one or a dozen. The intention of the carrier may be honest and honorable, but if your intention is to desensitize, why intimidate? There has to be a better way to get your point across. A restaurant is not generally a war zone, a handgun in a holster, concealed or openly carried, IMO, is probably enough protection in this situation and would be much less intimidating. Many in the general public are fearful of guns. Whether that fear is rational or not is debatable. The more fear they have, the more they will fight you in your endeavors. You will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

And, no, I don't feel that my views are prejudicial or irrational, nor do I condemn you for your views on this subject.

Last edited:

10x

RickyII,

I've been open carrying in Florida now, on a DAILY basis, for over four years now and I don't find being "noticed" by LEO to be all that big a deal. About twice a year I even get to talk to them when they want to see what I'm doing.

The more you open carry, the more comfortable you become with it and being "hassled" (I wouldn't really call it that) is a non-event.

Have you had any "hassles" with the LEO's in your area while open carrying?

Obviously I'm not open carrying a slung AR-15, just the normal full size and compact Glock as needed that day.

AD
After 4 years now they think you are a cop :lol:

Maverick9

How is sitting calmly at a table in a restaurant being intimidating?

Serving to add to the ranks of gun haters? Nope. They don't need cause - they're largely irrational. The facts show their ranks are not growing.

Welcome to OCDO.

Last edited:

ADulay

After 4 years now they think you are a cop :lol:

Heck, that could be right, at least in my own county!

Haven't had any problems from pretty much anywhere in the state. My normal riding ground is from about Port St. Lucie down to Naples and down to Marathon. Obviously Bike Week pulls in the Central Florida area over to Ormand Beach and the like.

The big deal with open carry is don't be fiddling around with your sidearm! To most people it's just another ugly cell phone on your belt.

AD

Rusty Young Man

If your objective is to make people comfortable having openly carried AR-15s, etc., around them, fine. But many people are, in fact, intimidated by a number of people entering a restaurant with those weapons slung over their shoulders, whether it be one or a dozen. The intention of the carrier may be honest and honorable, but if your intention is to desensitize, why intimidate? There has to be a better way to get your point across. A restaurant is not generally a war zone, a handgun in a holster, concealed or openly carried, IMO, is probably enough protection in this situation and would be much less intimidating. Many in the general public are fearful of guns. Whether that fear is rational or not is debatable. The more fear they have, the more they will fight you in your endeavors. You will catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

And, no, I don't feel that my views are prejudicial or irrational, nor do I condemn you for your views on this subject.

So you are equating Open Carry to mean Long Gun Open Carry? I support both, to be honest, but this site's focus is the normalization of OCed, properly holstered PISTOLS; the topic of LGOC is really only considered on topic for localities where LGOC is the only lawful means of open carry (e.g. the state of Texas, where OC of modern handguns is prohibited entirely, and where a de facto ban on the OC of antiques is in effect).

One reason for OC and/or LGOC is to do exactly as you allude to, but not in the manner you described: imagine the surprise people get when they see someone visibly armed go about their day, not killing or hurting anyone, and no "blood in the streets" or "wild west shootouts" taking place. How many erroneous notions are disproven in 5 minutes' time of seeing absolutely NOTHING happen?

The sidearm or long arm is simply another tool that is carried along throughout the day. I imagine cell phones weren't too common at one time (sorry, I was born with those things becoming fairly prevalent already), but now they are ubiquitous and nobody seems to think twice when seeing someone calling or texting as they go about their day (unless it's in a reckless manner, such as texting while driving, but you get my point).

I'd like of you to understand that I say the following not in anger, nor condescension, but as a means of stimulating discussion on the matter:). Let's change the subject matter, and see what the argument sounds like:

"If your objective is to make people comfortable having [insert historically "UNDESIRABLE" group of people, "HUGoP"], etc., around them, fine. But many people are, in fact, intimidated by a number of [HUGoP] entering a restaurant with those [insert TRAITS attributed to HUGoP], whether it be one or a dozen. The intention of the [HUGoP] may be honest and honorable, but if your intention is to desensitize, why intimidate? There has to be a better way to get your point across." - Someone Else

Now, swap out "Historically "undesirable" group of people" ("HUGoP"), with any of the following, and see if you would still find yourself in agreement with someone saying that or you saying it to your coworkers and loved ones:
Native Americans, African-Americans, Irish, Catholics, Gypsies, Jews, Japanese, Gays (any of the LGBTQ), Muslims, Arabs, Mexicans, etc.

What's the difference between the subject being OCers or LGOCers as opposed to any of the HUGoPs? Isn't it true that "some people" felt intimidated by the HUGoPs at some point and time (and some still do)? Is their argument any less valid than yours? Is your argument (as presented above) any more valid than theirs? Are either points valid AT ALL in the absence of any active effort to intimidate, or is the argument based entirely off the emotion of the person(s) feeling illogical fear?

Last edited:

rickyII

Thank you for posting that food for thought, RYM.
You made great sense in your response to my opinion on LGOC.
Your response, IMO, is the best yet and has given me a lot to think about
and helped greatly in making me change my mind.
And you did it without making me feel bullied.

Last edited:

HP995

No problemo, just make it an AR or AK pistol.

Hey presto, non intimidating. Heh heh.