• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate sets hearing on open carry

Kehoeklan

HB910 is the companion bill of SB346 and already has 65 authors/co-authors. See: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=HB910

The worst case scenario is we will have licensed open carry for now.

Our goal is Constitutional carry!

The bottom line is we will advance gun rights in this legislative session. That is a very good thing.

I can not remember but what is the new number for Const. carry. When it was introduced as HB 195.

Thanks

Count

Founder's Club Member
I only know of HB195...... Stickland is the author. Capitol Phone: (512) 463-0522

HPmatt

Watched abt 3 hours of testimony. Very well spoken testimony. Grisham was very good. Looks like ALL college Administrators are scared of ANY guns on their public campi that could protect students OR shoot teachers/professors. Had one former ACC police officer Camacho say CHL on campus w/b good, due to weaknesses of existing procedures to protect against shooters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HPmatt

Several folks testified that the full Republican plank was Constitutional Carry, not licensed, so Bill s/b amended by Senate to get Legislature out of regulating the 2A in Texas.

HPmatt

Both bills to full Texas Senate - 7-2 Republicans vs Dhimi-crats.
Houston Senator from Mickey Leland/Barbara Jordan's district votes 'no', effectively upholding Jim Crow laws passed after Reconstruction to keep guns out of poor black hands. Other 'no' vote was from Laredo on the Mexican border - too scared the Zetas will kill her family if she allows Texans, and in the S Texas Valley - mainly Hispanics - to better protect themselves from who-knows-what coming across the Mexican border.

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015...open-carry-campus-carry-bills-pass-committee/

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
I don't see anything about this on the Senate's agenda for today. Did it happen?

Nope. Today was pretty much just the opening ceremony kind of stuff if you will. Senate passed a few insignificant resolutions in about 15 minutes before adjourning and going over to the House of Representatives for a "State of the State" address.

You can see what they did today here:
http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Calendars/CurrentCalendar.aspx?Chbr=S&Code=S6

So let's see, 15 minutes of work at $150 daily per diem comes out to about $600/hr. Tax money well spent I say!

I didn't expect much to get done on the first day, but this is a little ridiculous if you ask me.

Last edited:

Jack House

Completely agreed, Ian. They only have to work 25% of their term, they best be haulin ass when they do work.

At least that's how I feel. If I did that, I'd be fired in a heart beat.

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
Ha! The Senate just voted unanimously to adjourn till Monday..... Is it midweek yet?

At least SB17 was reported favorably with no amendments: http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=SB17

Yeah I just saw that. They only went 30 minutes after their little joint session with the House before declaring a 5 day weekend. What a freakin joke.

It looks like they did read SB 11 & 17 today so even though we are going at a snail's pace, it does seem that these bills are a priority.

http://www.legis.state.tx.us/Calendars/CurrentCalendar.aspx?Chbr=S&Code=S5

Jack House

rushcreek2

TEXANS accomplishing licensed campus concealed carry, and licensed carry in place of licensed concealed carry is all GOOD.

I am a happy puppy.

Last edited:

HPmatt

I would much rather the Legislature meet 7 days a week for 3 months - passing new laws left and right. Mandating green grocery bags, no smoking in private businesses, calorie limits and sizes of softdrinks, banning styrofoam cups, noise regulations and hours to shoot firearms in the county, gasoline taxes, new tollroads and eminent domain, limits on what is taught in schools....

I am glad they got these 2 bills read and are not plotting on new ways to reduce my rights or steal my money, thank you kindly.

Count

Founder's Club Member
It was reported favorably 7-2 to move forward.... The Senate cannot send bills over to the House earlier than the 60th day of the session. So far both Campus and Open carry are moving forward at a really good speed.... Dan Patrick intends to have both bills ready on the 60th day (the earliest possible) to be sent over to the House. I believe the Houston Chronicle also reported on this.

Jack House

I would much rather the Legislature meet 7 days a week for 3 months - passing new laws left and right. Mandating green grocery bags, no smoking in private businesses, calorie limits and sizes of softdrinks, banning styrofoam cups, noise regulations and hours to shoot firearms in the county, gasoline taxes, new tollroads and eminent domain, limits on what is taught in schools....

I am glad they got these 2 bills read and are not plotting on new ways to reduce my rights or steal my money, thank you kindly.

This is Texas, not New York. The trend is to strengthen our rights. The laziness of the legislature hurts us more than helps. It's how they kill bills they know they can't vote against without hurting their re-election prospects.

Instead of having to explain why they voted against a popular bill, they just get to claim there wasn't enough time. That's why we didn't get LOC last session.