• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Senate sets hearing on open carry

Count

Founder's Club Member
The Senate set hearing for Thursday on open carry SB346. This is the licensed open carry bill.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/History.aspx?LegSess=84R&Bill=SB346

SB342 is the Constitutional carry and hasn't been scheduled yet.

It is once again a great time to call the Sate Affairs committee chair and its members to politely ask to schedule SB342.......

Committee Chair
Joan Huffman
(512) 463-0117
Vice-Chair
Rodney Ellis
(512) 463-0113
Members:
Brian Birdwell
(512) 463-0122
Brandon Creighton
(512) 463-0104
Craig Estes
(512) 463-0130
Troy Fraser
(512) 463-0124
Jane Nelson
(512) 463-0112
Charles Schwertner
(512) 463-0105
Judith Zaffirini
(512) 463-0121

I think it's also a good time to mention to the chair and the other Republican members that the Republican party platform adopted in 2014 calls for Constitutional carry and even more.... The grassroots who walked for these people door to door, attended meetings, and donated their hard earned dollars decided the following:

RESOLUTION IN SUPPORT OF PRIORITIZING CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY LEGISLATION
We call upon the 84th Texas Legislature to propose to the people of Texas a constitutional
amendment to strike “; but the Legislature shall have power, by law, to regulate the wearing of
arms, with a view to prevent crime” from Article I, Section 23 of the Texas Constitution.
Further, we request the State Party Chair and the State Republican Executive Committee
consider adoption of such an amendment and other legislation necessary to remove restrictions
on Texans' right to own and bear arms a legislative priority for the Republican Party of Texas for
the 2015 legislative session and to utilize reasonable Party resources necessary to promote and
support their passage.

nobama

Baby steps. better than no OC IMO. Now once again, where is the NRA? LOL!

Ian

Lone Star Veteran

I agree. Like Count said, constituational carry is our GOAL. However, if we don't achieve that, licensed OC is still a major victory and a step in the right direction.

Last edited:

stealthyeliminator

I think that even if baby steps are taken, it is still important to be clear in our stated positions that constitutional carry is the only actually acceptable outcome. Yes, I think it is fair to say that having an additional exemption to the handgun prohibition is better than having one less, but we cannot pretend to legislators that their gutlessness in failing to support constitutional carry is commendable. And no, I'm not saying to confront them with accusations of gutlessness. I'm only saying to not pretend the opposite. Don't praise them for bad behavior, and failure to represent their constituents. I was literally told "I don't want that responsibility" referring to supporting gun rights when some individuals might use firearms inappropriately. That is unacceptable and I'll never praise a legislator for succumbing to that position.

Count

Founder's Club Member
I completely agree with Constitutional carry is a must! If we manage to move any gun bill, amendments are possible. I think it is very much achievable this session. For a bill to be brought on to the Senate floor we need 19 votes. SB11 (campus carry) has 20 authors, SB346 (licensed open carry) has 13 and growing. GOOD there. In the house Strauss controls the calendars committee with an iron fist. However HB910 is gaining huge traction with its 64 authors/co-authors so far. We need to build on that momentum to make it to the floor. Otherwise we can have the necessary votes to pass (50% + 1), but we will never be able to bring any bill to the floor to give it a chance to pass.... Patience and wisdom guys! We can win this! Stay in the fight!

77zach

Party leadership won't usually allow those neocons who are more antigun to be exposed, especially if it is the leadership that is anti gun. It sounds like licensed OC is the low hanging fruit. It would be nice if there were pro gun people to testify against the privilege card OC bill.

Last edited:

Jack House

My main concern about the licensed OC is that they add garbage like types of holsters permitted.

77zach

My main concern about the licensed OC is that they add garbage like types of holsters permitted.

That's what the piggy unions did to us in 2011, but they failed. They wanted a "level 2" retention holster and "retention training" and "license display". They didn't get any of it. It was the retail federation that killed licensed OC in Fl, but you all have that signage law so here's to hoping the anti gun retailers won't care.

I think it's best to have the law worded like Georgia's, where the crime isn't carrying a handgun, but carrying a handgun without a license. I don't think it should matter per the courts, but LE doesn't always appear to care. I've never been asked to show my Fl license while OCing in Georgia. That's the only licensed OC state I've OCed in.

Count

Founder's Club Member

Hey Jack. I saw it requires you have a shoulder or belt holster. No boob holsters that I saw are listed yet......

Count

Founder's Club Member
The bill number has been changed!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you go to testify on Thursday be aware the bill for licensed open carry was scheduled as SB17 vs the originally filed SB346. If you testify arrive at 8am or so.... The hearing starts at 9. Last time I testified I prepared a written outline of my testimony for each member of the committee. You can outright support this bill, or just mark on the checklist you'll be handed as testifying on the bill. If you testify on the bill you could say ideally we need unlicensed open carry or constitutional carry just don't start testifying about other bills, because they will likely stop you...... The committee members may come and go during testimony, so it can be chaotic...... Don't check on the list that you are against this bill..... We will only hurt our effort if we oppose licensed carry..... Take everything we can get now and come back for more!!!!

HPmatt

Here is a Youtube video from our new Dallas State Senator Don Huffines - he wants action on 2 Issues - a) term limits and b) Constitutional OC. Good first step Don - get'er done!!!

http://youtu.be/HJZsUt_PPxQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jack House

Hey Jack. I saw it requires you have a shoulder or belt holster. No boob holsters that I saw are listed yet......
Guess that'd be an issue for you, eh. Why I have issues with it. No one's right to carry should be infringed.