Thread: Cops want U to give DNA, but not THEM

Banned

Cops want U to give DNA, but not THEM

Connecticut officials have settled a long-running legal dispute with a state police detective who alleged that management retaliated against him after he refused to give a DNA sample and brought the issue to his union.

Read more: http://www.ctlawtribune.com/id=12027...#ixzz3RO3ZNpFn

I will not register to read.

Request to Mod: Close this thread.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I will not register to read. Request to Mod: Close this thread.
    Here's local media coverage.
    http://www.middletownpress.com/gener...ver-dna-sample
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Would he have refused if they asked "Pretty please"?

As much as I see the intrusiveness and possible negative consequences of the plan it does make a lot of sense.

And the fact that it makes sense scares me.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

No cop DNA? Hmm...if you have nothing to hide why not provide a example?
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

I know you have committed the Second Amendment to memory and are willing to defend it to the death, as I have and I am, but please read the Fourth Amendment. "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

There is no reasonable suspicion of that police officer's commission of a crime. He has no obligation to provide a DNA sample, nor does the government have any authority to ask for, or demand it.
    "If you have nothing to hide" just doesn't cut it with me.
    If you have a suspicion, put me into custody and charge me.
    If not, let me go about my business.
    Last edited by rickyII; 02-11-2015 at 10:23 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rickyII View Post
    I know you have committed the Second Amendment to memory and are willing to defend it to the death, as I have and I am, but please read the Fourth Amendment. "The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized."

There is no reasonable suspicion of that police officer's commission of a crime. He has no obligation to provide a DNA sample, nor does the government have any authority to ask for, or demand it.

Methinks you are new 'round these here parts?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Bernymac View Post
    At the newbie; cops as cops surrender their rights in exchange for delegated powers. They demand pre-emption of our citizens' rights in an encounter, here the shoe is on the other foot. Provide exclusionary DNA or be dismissed.

What makes you think that?

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    At the newbie; cops as cops surrender their rights in exchange for delegated powers. They demand pre-emption of our citizens' rights in an encounter, here the shoe is on the other foot. Provide exclusionary DNA or be dismissed.
    So, correct me if I'm wrong, what you are saying is that cops give up their Constitutional rights when they accept the job?
    Where is THAT in the Constitution?

Because you keep sticking your foot in your mouth?

So, correct me if I'm wrong, what you are saying is that cops give up their Constitutional rights when they accept the job? Where is THAT in the Constitution?
    Same place as qualified immunity and a right to infantcide.

Quote Originally Posted by notalawyer View Post
    Because you keep sticking your foot in your mouth?
    Enough vagueness, how so?

Same place as qualified immunity and a right to infantcide.
    Citations?

Citations?
    Sarcastic irony? The irony may be your feigning ignorance to make a point, but making mine.

I know you have committed the Second Amendment to memory ....
    Condition of employment. If his DNA is "exposed" then he can sue the cops just like you or I when the cops screw us over. Nope, he is worried about his "privacy" where there is no indication that his privacy would be violated after providing a DNA sample. So, this nitwit gets his union involved...right there, he wins. If he ain't got nothing to hide why is he worried about giving a DNA sample, or maybe he knows that the sample would be exposed without his consent. Either way, he is just another "good for me and not for thee" kind of cop.

Me thinks you are not able to read the King's Engrish.

So OCDO is only open to those that share the same opinions.
    Those with any opposing opinion will be ridiculed, belittled and insulted, but not debated intelligently.
    Have it your way folks.

So OCDO is only open to those that share the same opinions. Those with any opposing opinion will be ridiculed, belittled and insulted, but not debated intelligently. Have it your way folks.
    Yeah, we calls it bashing but its prohibited only when directed at cops.

Yeah, we calls it bashing but its prohibited only when directed at cops.
    I bashed the cops?

Gun owners are not a recognized protected class, thus we are fair game for bashing...ask any given cop and my assertion may be confirmed, especially in the more liberal leaning states, such as NY ect.

Banned
    So OCDO is only open to those that share the same opinions.
    Those with any opposing opinion will be ridiculed, belittled and insulted, but not debated intelligently.
    Have it your way folks.
    RickyII is correct in his analysis .. while it is an employer-employee relationship, its still the government involved. 4th amendment should prevail.

Just like when we get arrested (not convicted and the DNA is not needed to examine the current charge) DNA samples are being taken.

Yet we are force-ably required to provide and gov't officials get a nice paycheck for refusal.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar

Trust me we are very sensitive to the 4th. I believe we've gotten so used to recognizing each other's sarcasm it could go unnoticed to new comers.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand

Your belief that OC for ME is not sensitive to the 4th.

Me thinks you are not able to read the King's Engrish.
    I think you may have misunderstood the reason I quoted your post. My apologies if you believed I was accusing you of being new.