• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

MWAG call on campus of CNU

TFred

I'd be very interested in details on how the two reports described the incident... was this just an OCer walking around, or was there brandishing?

TFred

CNU issues 'all clear' after police unable to locate gunman on campus

UPDATE:CNU police have given an 'all clear' after campus officers, Newport News police and Virginia State police were unable to locate a gunman on campus.

Officers were searching for a man described as a black male, about 5 feet, 8 inches tall. He was seen wearing a tan jacket and a knit cap.

There is no known threat on campus, according to an updated alert. Classes started at 9 a.m.

Previously: 6:35 a.m.

Students at Christopher Newport University are being told to stay indoors Wednesday morning while police search for someone with a gun on campus.

University police received two reports of an unknown individual with a handgun walking on campus, according to a CNU alert.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
More academia and media biased on guns are BAD. Sissy Newport may not lead the pack, but they are in contention for a top spot.

See no indication that any threat was evident or any laws were broken.

Quite possibly an OCer taking a shortcut across campus on his way to breakfast.

2a4all

I was rudely awakened by an alert from WAVY-TV Channel 10 on my cell phone @ 6:30am announcing this "danger".:cry: Got another one about 2 hours later announcing the "All clear".:uhoh:

I live about 10 miles from the campus, and haven't been a student there since 1984 (it was CNC then).:eek:

I also live about the same distance (I'm within the 10 mile radius) from Surry Nuclear Power Station. They conducted emergency drills yesterday, and I never heard a peep.

It's reassuring to know that I'm being notified of real dangers.

wrearick

I live in Virginia beach and got the notification. You get them if you are signed up for Wavy 10 Alerts. If you are not signed up you don't get them. I could have been on a business trip to japan and still would have got the alert. Gotta un-sign up for those as they can be very annoying and seldom if ever have been anything I care about.

TFred

And here we go. I'm glad they did admit the mistake.

We've brainwashed our kids into becoming so paranoid, that just about anything looks like a MWAG.

TFred

CNU: ‘Man with gun’ was actually employee with equipment

"NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Christopher Newport University said a man suspected of walking through campus Wednesday morning with a gun was actually an employee carrying a broken piece of equipment."

Last edited:

FBrinson

And here we go. I'm glad they did admit the mistake.

We've brainwashed our kids into becoming so paranoid, that just about anything looks like a MWAG.

TFred

CNU: ‘Man with gun’ was actually employee with equipment

"NEWPORT NEWS, Va. (WAVY) — Christopher Newport University said a man suspected of walking through campus Wednesday morning with a gun was actually an employee carrying a broken piece of equipment."

The folks that called in the MWAG report should be charged with a crime (which one?). This kind of crap is going to get one (some) of us killed one day.

TFred

The folks that called in the MWAG report should be charged with a crime (which one?). This kind of crap is going to get one (some) of us killed one day.
That's a tough call. I've seen no reason to suspect they made the call with any malicious intent, or as I first suspected, to get out of taking a scheduled test. Unlike SWATting, which SHOULD be prosecuted vigorously.

We've produced a generation of politically correct, nearly mindless robots. Is it their fault for being the product of an environment that they had no responsibility for creating or even choosing to be a part of?

They need deprogramming, not prosecution.

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Do those kids even know what a gun looks like when it is not in a movie/video game? Do they really think BGs wander around with their pistols firmly gripped in their hand?

A piece of broken equipment, an umbrella, a cellphone, a sub sandwich - those are just the thinngs I can recall off the top of my head that have resulted in MWAG calls.

stay safe.

wrearick

Ignorant Question

Does anyone know if it is illegal to have a legally owned firearm on the CNU Campus and what the source of that data is? I know that many college campuses can prohibit employees and students from having self protection weapons and by limiting access to the buildings to students and staff they limit/ban weapons in the building. However as an earlier poster noted if it was a MWAG could he have legally been taking a short cut through the campus? If there is no law broken just by being armed on the campus I don't see any of these "reports" making that clear and by default reinforces that observing a person armed on campus should be treated/called in as it was in this case.

Cam757

I am a Junior over here at CNU, and while we aren't allowed to have weapons on campus (concealed/oc), I know many students including myself who wish that the big whigs would rethink that decision. Unfortunately there are more people who are scared of guns on campus, and think that the world will end when they see a gun, thank would feel safe in that presence.

It was pretty funny (after the fact) because word on campus is that it was 2 female ROTC cadre that were on the way to PT when they witnessed someone with a "gun". Other words on campus is that the "broken equipment" theory that CNU has placed is a coverup for a lack of security and policing.

Either way, glad to see that there wasn't a threat!

Direct from the handbook:
http://cnu.edu/public/pdf/uhandbook/section10.pdf

Weapons/Fireworks/Explosives/Hazardous Chemicals
Unauthorized possession or use of weapons, fireworks, or explosives is prohibited.
Unauthorized possession, storage, or control of weapons and firearms on University property is prohibited.
This includes storage in vehicles on campus as well as in the residence halls. Firearms include any gun, rifle,
pistol, or handgun designed to fire bullets, BB's, pellets, or shot regardless of the propellant used.
Additionally, possession of ammunition that could be used with a prohibited item is forbidden. Other
weapons include any instrument of combat, or any object not designed as an instrument of combat but carried
for the purpose of inflicting or threatening bodily injury. Examples include, but are not limited to, knives with
fixed blades or pocket knives with blades longer than four inches, razors, metal knuckles, blackjacks, hatchets,
bows and arrows, nunchakas, foils, or explosives and incendiary devices.

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
CNU is a private university. They can make just about any rule they want to. And they can enforce the violation of their rules by charging trespass.

So - is it specifically illegal (a chargable criminal offense in and of itself) to have a firearm on campus? No.

Students must have "authorization". But the penalties are not criminal.

Are you totally confused now?

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Does anyone know if it is illegal to have a legally owned firearm on the CNU Campus and what the source of that data is? I know that many college campuses can prohibit employees and students from having self protection weapons and by limiting access to the buildings to students and staff they limit/ban weapons in the building. However as an earlier poster noted if it was a MWAG could he have legally been taking a short cut through the campus? If there is no law broken just by being armed on the campus I don't see any of these "reports" making that clear and by default reinforces that observing a person armed on campus should be treated/called in as it was in this case.
No it is not illegal to have a gun on campus - either OC or CC - presuming other laws are obeyed.
http://uvamagazine.org/articles/cuccinelli_u-va._may_not_bar_concealed_weapons

http://monachuslex.com/?p=100

That being said a student or facilty/employee can be sanctioned/dismissed for failure to follow their rules.

Many of us here have OCd at various universities: UVA, VT, VCU - to name a few.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
CNU is a private university. They can make just about any rule they want to. And they can enforce the violation of their rules by charging trespass.

--snipped--
Everything I have found on CNU indicates that it is a public school.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/christopher-newport-university-3706

In 1960 the city of Newport News joined together with the commonwealth of Virginia to create Christopher Newport College (CNC), which opened its doors in 1961[SUP][3][/SUP] and at the time was located in the old John W. Daniel School building. The college was founded as an extension of the College of William & Mary and offered extension courses that had already been unavailable in the area for some time. In 1964 the college was relocated to its current location, a 75-acre (300,000 m[SUP]2[/SUP]) tract of land purchased and donated by the city. In this same year, the college's first permanent building was dedicated as Christopher Newport Hall. In 1971, CNC became a four-year college;[SUP][4][/SUP] however, it remained an extension of William & Mary until 1977 when it attained its independence.[SUP][5][/SUP] In 1992, the college became a university under the leadership of President Anthony R. Santoro, who oversaw the building of the first residence hall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christopher_Newport_University

wrearick

Everything I have found on CNU indicates that it is a public school.

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-colleges/christopher-newport-university-3706

[/URL]

Thanks Grapeshot,
First line from the link you provided makes it clear...
"Summary

Christopher Newport University is a public institution that was founded in 1960. " emphasis added.

So my point is they came forward and admitted that there was no issue because it wasn't really a man with a gun, vice, it wasn't an issue because it is not illegal to be on the grounds with a gun... It is a tough call. I would have liked to see something along the line of "all clear was sounded at 0757 when it was determined that the person in question was an employee carrying a piece of broken equipment. It should be noted that a law abiding citizen, who is not subject to employee or student policies and regulations, is not prohibited from lawfully possessing a firearm on CNU grounds." but that will never happen.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
--snipped-- It should be noted that a law abiding citizen, who is not subject to employee or student policies and regulations, is not prohibited from lawfully possessing a firearm on CNU grounds." but that will never happen.
That is precisely why VCDL has held public rallies on select campuses.

Makes good press + causes the antis to grind their teeth :lol:

I should also be noted that there have been no mass shootings within those areas when we were there.

Last edited:

TFred

As noted, CNU is a public university.

And also as noted, if someone were walking on campus with a properly holstered firearm, and this was the sort of reaction and communication put out by the university, we would have a problem.

All reports I've seen on this indicated that the person in question was walking and holding the item that was mistaken for a firearm. It's fairly well entrenched that folks walking around holding a firearm, especially a handgun, are going to be reported and investigated as a brandishing call, at the very minimum, no matter where you are, on a college campus, walking down the street, standing in your own front yard... I don't think that is going to change any time soon.

The key button we have to keep pushing is training for dispatchers to be able to ascertain from the caller whether or not the sighting is just a law-abiding citizen, properly holstered, or someone who is actually brandishing a firearm.

TFred

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
[strike]CNU is a private university. They can make just about any rule they want to. And they can enforce the violation of their rules by charging trespass.

So - is it specifically illegal (a chargable criminal offense in and of itself) to have a firearm on campus? No.

Students must have "authorization". But the penalties are not criminal.[/strike]

Are you totally confused now?

stay safe.

Apparently I was. Which school was I thinking of around there that is private?

Anyhow, mea culpa and yep, I goofed.

stay safe.

peter nap

Accomplished Advocate
Then there's always the idiot factor. I remember one night Grapeshot, myself and half of VCDL were at VCU and the chief was giving a briefing. One of VCUs finest told us it was private property. ..The chief got an earful.