• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Independence

jrshine25

Have been off the site and out of the loop so to say with independence of laws of oc. My daughter has been ill and just haven't had the time to keep up. But with recent and more frequently unsettling events in are neighborhood have warranted me to consider openly carrying again while out walking the dog or any activity with my children outside. Can someone please help with links to current laws. The couple of Leo's I have talked to in the neighborhood have not been very helpful told me all we need is more people with guns walking around. Any help would greatly be appreciated. Thank you in advance for the advice.

OC for ME

If you have a endorsement then OC is good to go state wide.
http://moga.mo.gov/mostatutes/stathtml/02100007501.html?&me=21.750

Specifically,

21.750.3(2) In any jurisdiction in which the open carrying of firearms is prohibited by ordinance, the open carrying of firearms shall not be prohibited in accordance with the following:

(a) Any person with a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit who is open carrying a firearm shall be required to have a valid concealed carry endorsement or permit from this state, or a permit from another state that is recognized by this state, in his or her possession at all times;

(b) Any person open carrying a firearm in such jurisdiction shall display his or her concealed carry endorsement or permit upon demand of a law enforcement officer;
(c) In the absence of any reasonable and articulable suspicion of criminal activity, no person carrying a concealed or unconcealed firearm shall be disarmed or physically restrained by a law enforcement officer unless under arrest; and
(d) Any person who violates this subdivision shall be subject to the penalty provided in section 571.121.
If you do not have a valid endorsement then you are subject to a OC ban, if the political subdivision enacted one. Some were requiring a endorsement before 21.750.3 changed...ahead of their time depending on who you ask.

If you have a endorsement issued to you, but do not have it on you, it's a ticket. If you do not have a valid endorsement issued to you you may be "that guy" who tests the new "strict scrutiny" language in Art I , Sec 23. Hit the lottery first though. For now it is easier to pay to play until we can fix the root evil that is contained in 21.750.3.

Good luck and good health to you and yours.

JEStucker

If you have a endorsement then OC is good to go state wide.If you do not have a valid endorsement then you are subject to a OC ban, if the political subdivision enacted one. Some were requiring a endorsement before 21.750.3 changed...ahead of their time depending on who you ask.

If you have a endorsement issued to you, but do not have it on you, it's a ticket. If you do not have a valid endorsement issued to you you may be "that guy" who tests the new "strict scrutiny" language in Art I , Sec 23. Hit the lottery first though. For now it is easier to pay to play until we can fix the root evil that is contained in 21.750.3.

Good luck and good health to you and yours.

Currently, Independence, MO does NOT have an ordinance prohibiting Open Carry. Most folks and businesses have been fairly welcoming, the majority of people actually never notice most days.

Ezek

Currently, Independence, MO does NOT have an ordinance prohibiting Open Carry. Most folks and businesses have been fairly welcoming, the majority of people actually never notice most days.

as he said, the municipal code for independence, as of my last checking does not state that the open carrying of a firearm is unlawful use of a weapon. however your LEO contacts obviously are anti-rights.

if you would like a more up to date municipal code for the unlawful use of weapons, I would recommend going to the independence city hall/court and requesting a current version of the municipal code regarding unlawful use of weapons.

you can also check municode.com but it is not always up to date.