• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Restoration of gun rights

LS8910

Sorry if this doesn't exactly go with the "open carry" theme, but I am sort of desperate at this point. So 12 years ago I became a convicted felon (3rd degree assault). I know I am eligible to get my rights back, I just have no idea how! I have talked to a couple lawyers and the cheapest I can find is almost $1000! Does anyone know how to go about this by doing it yourself? I just don't know where to find what forms I need and so forth. Or does anyone know of a reasonable lawyer in the area? I am located in the Renton/Kent/Tukwila area.

Thank you so much for any information you can provide! :)

Last edited:

Grim_Night

Sorry if this doesn't exactly go with the "open carry" theme, but I am sort of desperate at this point. So 12 years ago I became a convicted felon (3rd degree assault). I know I am eligible to get my rights back, I just have no idea how! I have talked to a couple lawyers and the cheapest I can find is almost $1000! Does anyone know how to go about this by doing it yourself? I just don't know where to find what forms I need and so forth. Or does anyone know of a reasonable lawyer in the area? I am located in the Renton/Kent/Tukwila area.

Thank you so much for any information you can provide! :)

I personally have experience with this issue. The process is different if you are dealing with a juvenile criminal record or if you are dealing with an adult criminal record. I am more then willing to share information for both situations. Neither situation requires the aid of a lawyer.

LS8910

I personally have experience with this issue. The process is different if you are dealing with a juvenile criminal record or if you are dealing with an adult criminal record. I am more then willing to share information for both situations. Neither situation requires the aid of a lawyer.

I wasn't a juvenile, so it is on my adult record. I would appreciate ANY information you can share or if you can point me in the right direction!!

Grim_Night

I wasn't a juvenile, so it is on my adult record. I would appreciate ANY information you can share or if you can point me in the right direction!!

These will give you a jumping off point.

You can start here. RCW 9.41.047 Restoration of possession rights. http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=9.41.047

For a felony conviction, the following criteria must be satisfied to restore the right to possess a firearm:

1- For a class C or B felony, a person must have five years or more in the community without committing a crime.
2- The conviction is not a class A felony or a sex offense. The right to possess a firearm cannot be restored in Washington State if the conviction is for a class A felony or a sex offense.
3- No criminal charges are currently pending in any federal or state court. The right to possess a firearm cannot be restored while a new criminal charge is pending.
4- There is no prior felony conviction that prohibits possession of a firearm. The right to possess a firearm in the prior felony would need to be restored first.
5- All sentence conditions, including monetary obligations, have been completed.
6- There is no civil or criminal court order that prohibits possession of a firearm.
7- The person has not been involuntarily committed for mental health treatment.

http://www.washingtongunrightslawye...history-of-felony-or-misdemeanor-convictions/

http://www.douglascountywa.net/departments/districtcourt/restorefirearms.asp

http://www.recordgone.com/expungement-washington/wa-rights-restoration-faq.htm

badkarma

I know two people who had drug convictions 20-25 years ago and had their rights restored in the last two years. They both did all the footwork and did not need a lawyer. The RCW outlines the basics. I highly suggest you get a copy of the arrest and conviction record from the county where it happened and usually you file in the same county. BUT that changes if it was out of state. While it is not hard, it is not simple so if there is complications then consider having someone do it for you(like a lawyer).