• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portage Co Wisconsin CC class question (general to all classes)

Wstar425

Our son lives about 75 miles away. Don't see him much, he is 23. He asked me about taking a class in Stevens Point put on by the Portage Co Sheriff's department. I think, anyway by LE. He would like me to take the class with him. It is two parts, one is what is required to get your WI CCL, the second is range shooting, safety, loading, unloading etc. you need a firearm and apx. 50 rounds. He has humted deer, squirrels, small game but only with a long gun. Maybe 20 rounds through a handgun, and that a .22.

I have my carry license already, but I would like to take the class with him for Father/Son time. I would be able to take the class and not be super shooter know it all open carry expert dude. I'm not, nor do I think I am. I could probably pass, or at least fake being a newbie. I would like to think I could learn something as well, plus I like to meet and talk to people. It's $50.00 for both classes, so $100.00 for the day for both of us. I would pay his way most likely, and provide two firearms and ammo.The money is not a hardship for us, but probably is for him.

My question(s) is, is this appropriate? I'm wondering also about taking a spot for a new licenses as well. We have had CC for three plus years now so it is not really like its all new or anything.

What do you think? I thought I could offer to back out if they filled up, or maybe just sit in? Not sure what they will allow? He is supposed to be calling and signing us up, so we will see if it happens. He doesn't always follow through with things, and I don't plan to force it.

I'm on my phone so can't link to the article that was in the Stevens Point paper. If someone wants to, that would be nice. I don't know how from my phone. Not tech savvy.

Wstar425

Go to class with your son, remain humble and quiet and be receptive to learning something new.

I came back to this post to basically ask if it would be inappropriate, unethical, unfair, a problem, (pick your word) for me to take this class as a paying customer, with my son. I'm not wanting to eliminate someone who does not already have a WI CCL as I do have mine. I'm not sure how quite to approach that possibility with the instructors. I've found honesty to be the best policy, but sometimes it does work against you....I could be happy to sit in as an observer, but I also see how they might not allow that. The money is not an issue either way.

As I mentioned, and as you referenced in the linked post, I could do this and probably nobody would know either way. I'm not big on drawing attention to myself, or bragging and I really have nothing to brag about concerning firearms anyhow. No doubt I could learn something, and I'm always open to shooting advice.

So, any other thoughts on the appropriateness of this?

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
I came back to this post to basically ask if it would be inappropriate, unethical, unfair, a problem, (pick your word) for me to take this class as a paying customer, with my son. I'm not wanting to eliminate someone who does not already have a WI CCL as I do have mine. I'm not sure how quite to approach that possibility with the instructors. I've found honesty to be the best policy, but sometimes it does work against you....I could be happy to sit in as an observer, but I also see how they might not allow that. The money is not an issue either way.

As I mentioned, and as you referenced in the linked post, I could do this and probably nobody would know either way. I'm not big on drawing attention to myself, or bragging and I really have nothing to brag about concerning firearms anyhow. No doubt I could learn something, and I'm always open to shooting advice.

So, any other thoughts on the appropriateness of this?

I do not think any of the words you listed are applicable. If you are a paying customer you are entitled to a seat in the class regardless of your status as a current CCL holder. As for "eliminating" someone who does not have a CCL, if you take the last seat then the newbie will simply have to wait for the next class. If you are really that concerned, then talk to the instructor and follow his guidance. If *I* were that instructor, I would take your registration and your money and if it fills the class, so be it.

Wstar425

Thanks for the expanded feedback. I'm thinking along those same lines. Bumping someone from the class is not my main concern, but it is in the back of my mind. Will see if son follows through, I have not heard back either way from him. I know his girlfriend is big time anti-gun, so that may be an influence. I thought about offering it to her as well, but have not yet.

solus

If a wanderer might make a point...you can always pick up a new concept, technique, or bit of information from a different instructor's teaching perspective if your mind remains open to allow such a thing to occur. you also might be shown how to correct a bad habit you have allowed to manifest itself in your shooting skills.

this tidbit of new material could mean the difference in a situational event where your firearm is need for you or your family's defence.

finally, you will hear and experience exactly what your son has been taught and this is the biggest boon of all as it will take the wind out of your argument(s), er, discussion(s) for future conversations that your son is doing it wrong or that stupid instructor didn't know what the devil they were teaching you as your technique and knowledge is all wrong. you heard it exactly as your son did and can then present objective evidence instead of your biased subjective evidence of we always do it this way crap to defend your position.

the hard part is keeping your mind open as well as maintaining an unemotional status to relearning the material and shooting techniques from a new perspective ~ oh, and keeping your mouth shut during and after class.

now to be refused attendance to the class would raise serious flags IMO as there can't be that much of a demand for this class. If there is then i am sure, the american business mentality would kick in and a gaggle of folk would climb on the teaching band wagon to take advantage to make a few $$$.

enjoy the time with your son...

ps pay for both your son and GF if you can afford it to assure they will attend...now you get to spend quality time with everyone.

ipse

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

Thanks for the expanded feedback. I'm thinking along those same lines. Bumping someone from the class is not my main concern, but it is in the back of my mind. Will see if son follows through, I have not heard back either way from him. I know his girlfriend is big time anti-gun, so that may be an influence. I thought about offering it to her as well, but have not yet.

Maybe it is time for a new GF.

Wstar425

Good thoughts, thanks! We have not met his girlfriend yet. Supposedly she is very shy. I've seen pictures and she is just a tiny little thing.

I offered to pay for both their ways if she was interested. He said he would ask, and did NOT say right away that she would not go or consider it. He was supposed to bring her for Christmas dinner, but she backed out at the last second. She has a 6 year old daughter, never married. We are very "conservative", I suppose she thinks we will judge her? We've all done things in our past that we may or may not be proud of. I'm mellowing out a lot in my old age on what is really important, and what maybe isn't worth making a huge deal over.

I'd like to think I could do this with an open mind. I'm soaking up firearm intel wherever I can this days. One comment reminds me of when my son took his motorcycle safety course. They taught them to also shut off with the kill switch and then the key. So, when you came back you need to turn the kill switch back on. Had a couple of old Hondas that would crank but not fire with the kill switch off. So, a few times I would have the bike cranking away but no joy and getting really frustrated. Even after I realized what was happening I still would get caught cause I never used the thing. They were taught to do that as muscle memory in case you ever needed it, plus if you never use it they can corrode up, then cause problems when you do use it.