• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Chapel Hill 'rocked' by killings of 3 Muslim students

WalkingWolf

Students killed over parking in Chapel Hill. I find it hard to get over the stupidity of this, this guy is either nuts or extremely stupid.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-muslim-students-gunman-chapel-hill/23222317/

The mayor of Chapel Hill, N.C., said Wednesday that the college town has been "rocked" by the shooting deaths of three Muslim students that the father of two of the victims calls a "hate crime."

The fatal shootings have sparked condemnation from a national Muslim civil liberties group and triggered a Twitter uproar over allegations of anti-Muslim bias.

The victims, all shot in the head, were identified about 2 a.m. Wednesday as Deah Shaddy Barakat, 23, and his wife, Yusor Mohammad, 21, of Chapel Hill, and her sister, Razan Mohammad Abu-Salha, 19, of Raleigh, police said.

Police spokesman Lt. Joshua Mecimore said a preliminary investigation indicates the crime was "motivated by an ongoing neighbor dispute over parking" and that Hicks, who lives in the complex, is cooperating with investigators, according to newsobserver.com.

Fallschirjmäger

Town of Chapel Hill
UPDATE - Chapel Hill Police Investigate Multiple Homicide on Summerwalk Circle
Post Date:02/10/2015 7:00 PM

Updated 9:30 a.m. Wednesday, Feb. 11

At 5:11 p.m. Tuesday, Chapel Hill Police Officers responded to a report of gunshots in the area of Summerwalk Circle in Chapel Hill. When officers arrived, they located three subjects who had been shot. All three subjects were pronounced dead at the scene.

The Chapel Hill Police Department has arrested Craig Stephen Hicks, 46 years of age, of 270 Summerwalk Circle, Chapel Hill.

Our preliminary investigation indicates that the crime was motivated by an ongoing neighbor dispute over parking. Hicks is cooperating with investigators and more information may be released at a later time.

"We understand the concerns about the possibility that this was hate-motivated, and we will exhaust every lead to determine if that is the case. Our thoughts are with the families and friends of these young people who lost their lives so needlessly,” said Chief Chris Blue of the Chapel Hill Police Department.

utbagpiper

Banned
What does one say about such senseless violence? Parking and party noise leads to three murders?!?!? Three lives ended, another who will spend the rest of his life in prison. How many survivors whose lives will never be the same.

And just lovely for us that this maniac had a permit and owned his gun legally. Probably passed a background check to buy it. Yup, all gun nuts are just one provocation away from going off the deep end and becoming murderous lunatics.

As for hate crime? Probably had a lot more to do with an atheist hating all religions than with anything specifically directed to Islam. But the sad fact is that tribalism seems to be part of the human DNA. And we can define ourselves into tribes in a lot of ways: race, religion, geographic area, families, sports teams, political affiliations, profession, etc. When push comes to shove, someone outside the tribe might get treated differently than someone inside the tribe.

To few details in the report to even venture a guess, but I always have to wonder whether any of the victims could have been saved had they been better prepared to defend themselves.

Charles

WalkingWolf

What does one say about such senseless violence? Parking and party noise leads to three murders?!?!? Three lives ended, another who will spend the rest of his life in prison. How many survivors whose lives will never be the same.

And just lovely for us that this maniac had a permit and owned his gun legally. Probably passed a background check to buy it. Yup, all gun nuts are just one provocation away from going off the deep end and becoming murderous lunatics.

As for hate crime? Probably had a lot more to do with an atheist hating all religions than with anything specifically directed to Islam. But the sad fact is that tribalism seems to be part of the human DNA. And we can define ourselves into tribes in a lot of ways: race, religion, geographic area, families, sports teams, political affiliations, profession, etc. When push comes to shove, someone outside the tribe might get treated differently than someone inside the tribe.

To few details in the report to even venture a guess, but I always have to wonder whether any of the victims could have been saved had they been better prepared to defend themselves.

Charles
I think his girlfriend eluded that he had mental problems. This shows that background checks and permits do not work to insure safety, but I was not going to bring it up. Figured it would upset some.

The fact is laws do not stop nuts and criminals, they get past them one way or another. IMO the solution is more people prepared to defend themselves, and for that to happen the charade that police will protect you needs to be exposed.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
I think his girlfriend eluded that he had mental problems.

That's not good at all. We're now looking at the latest poster child for why mental health records need to be added to background checks for gun purchases. The other side is very good at spinning every situation to their rhetorical advantage.

If it turns out he was on heavily mental health drugs, that might mute their criticism a bit as it would reflect poorly on one of their favored industries. But if he had mental issues, but wasn't on drugs, we are in for a lot of dancing in the victims' blood unless something else snatches up the news cycle.

This shows that background checks and permits do not work to insure safety, but I was not going to bring it up. Figured it would upset some.

:) Just remember the lessons from the women in your life. How you say something is as important as what you say. :)

Let me say right up front, I find prior restraint on fundamental rights as offensive as you do. And, obviously, background checks and permits are no guarantee of living a spotless life in the future. Neither are training, badges, and drawing a paycheck from the government. Sometimes cops go bad and commit serious crimes.

At the same time, the best indicator of future behavior is past behavior. So when it comes to hiring school teachers, little league coaches, or entrusting volunteers as Scoutmasters, I'd prefer to avoid those who have already been convicted of molesting children. This helps me avoid some easily predicted problems. Then, I'll insist on some proper procedures to help protect against those perverts who haven't yet been caught or even yet acted out. Background checks are a very prudent tool when we are not talking about prior restraint, but instead are looking at mere privileges.

OTOH, maybe everyone proven to pose a risk to society should be incarcerated until they no longer pose such a risk and then there would be no need to run any background check on anyone not locked up. :)

I am one of those radicals who believes lifetime loss of RKBA for folks allowed to freely walk the streets amounts to cruel and unusual punishment. If the guy can't be trusted with a gun, I don't think he can be trusted to walk the streets unsupervised. If he can be trusted to walk the streets unsupervised, we ought to respect all of his rights.

The fact is laws do not stop nuts and criminals, they get past them one way or another. IMO the solution is more people prepared to defend themselves, and for that to happen the charade that police will protect you needs to be exposed.

True story. Police can provide a general deterrence. They can provide an impartial investigation to crimes, catch suspects and deliver them to the courts, and then man jails and prisons to keep the convicted away from society. But they simply cannot provide individual protection.

Charles

American Patriot

It Appears that the man is already being condemned as guilty by some so why go to the expense of having a trial?

I am willing to wait until all the discovered evidence is presented in a court of law before judging him guilty of an illegal homicide. Have we in America forgotten the "Presumption of Innocent?"

The president has not weighed in on this incident yet.... who knows but what if he had a son that he would not look just like this man?

carolina guy

OTOH, maybe everyone proven to pose a risk to society should be incarcerated until they no longer pose such a risk and then there would be no need to run any background check on anyone not locked up. :)

I am one of those radicals who believes lifetime loss of RKBA for folks allowed to freely walk the streets amounts to cruel and unusual punishment. If the guy can't be trusted with a gun, I don't think he can be trusted to walk the streets unsupervised. If he can be trusted to walk the streets unsupervised, we ought to respect all of his rights.

Charles

+1

jtitus07

It Appears that the man is already being condemned as guilty by some so why go to the expense of having a trial?

I am willing to wait until all the discovered evidence is presented in a court of law before judging him guilty of an illegal homicide. Have we in America forgotten the "Presumption of Innocent?"

The president has not weighed in on this incident yet.... who knows but what if he had a son that he would not look just like this man?

According to the ABC11 interview with his GF, he confessed to doing it...to her anyway. so I assume to the police also, so there will likely be no trial as he will plead out to avoid the DP, and probably end up with 3, gazillion year consecutive sentences.

utbagpiper

Banned

Put me on the jury and I'll extend the legal presumption of innocence including refusing to convict unless and until the prosecutor proves the man guilty beyond all reasonable doubt. I'll base my decision solely on the evidence presented in court.

But on an internet chat forum with what has been reported? Come on. It is discussions and if we waited until the case was resolved we'd never discuss anything relevant in a timely manner.

Put another way, there is some chance that Bill Cosby is being screwed by a bunch of gold digging *****. Barring a lot more evidence that several claims of abuse occurring 30+ years ago, I'm not about to vote to convict him of any crimes nor make anyone rich at his expense. But I'm also not about to suggest my attractive 20 year old daughter go spend a lot of time alone with him.

Charles

SovereigntyOrDeath

Abdullah Antepli, director of Muslim affairs at nearby Duke University, issued a statement calling for people not to jump to conclusions over the motive for the killings.

He is being held without bond.

drsysadmin

***sarcasm warning on
So basically we have a liberal atheist who admits to killing three people.

So that just goes to prove that we DO need to restrict guns.

Liberals and atheist should not be allowed to have guns because the obviously hold human life in contempt.
*** sarcasm warning off

Just goes to show why everyone should be armed. This guy would likely have thought and acted differently if he felt that his targets or others nearby would neutralize the threat he represented.