• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ups / ffl?

OneForAll

My wife stopped by a UPS place today to ship a firearm to a gunsmith for me. I wanted to pay the extra for insurance. When my wife asked for the insurance, the person behind the counter stated that he had to know what was in the package. After she told the person what I was shipping, they informed her without an FFL number they were unable to ship the package. Has anyone else ran into this?

OneForAll

Thank you for the link. I have no idea why they asked. Who needs to know what I am shipping anyways? I called the gunsmith and he gave me his FFL. He seemed confused as well. It got shipped, I just wanted to know if anyone else had this happen to them?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Both UPS and FedEx are known to limit shipping of firearms to their major hubs, and make it impossible to send firearms from a local storefront. You are required to inform the shipper that the item is a firearm but they are not allowed to mark the package in any way to show/suggest wthe contents are a firearm. I can't prove it but the notification requirement is probably to ensure that you use the "correct" shipping options (next day air/second day air) which is mostly for their tracking purposes to try and keep the package from going walkabout in transit.

As for requiring a FFL number, I wonder where they would put that info. Perhaps they put it in their administrative records "just in case" there is a question of the legality of shipping the firearm. But yet they historically ignore the "adult signature required" and leave the firearm being returned to you on the porch.

stay safe.

Rich2279

My wife stopped by a UPS place today to ship a firearm to a gunsmith for me. I wanted to pay the extra for insurance. When my wife asked for the insurance, the person behind the counter stated that he had to know what was in the package. After she told the person what I was shipping, they informed her without an FFL number they were unable to ship the package. Has anyone else ran into this?

I'm wondering why they asked what was in the package. Was the package addressed to the gunsmith's name or was it a business name (i.e. John's
Gunrepair)?

HPmatt

A few years back UPS shipments of 'olive oil' from Kali to Texas were typically nice bottles of red wine, truth be told...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rich2279

The person that is insuring the contents wants to know what he is insuring! They also want to know that what you are shipping is legal. They don't want to become a party to a crime. Have you got any idea how many illegal substances are shipped by UPS or Fed Ex? They include illegal drugs, stolen property, flammable substances, explosives, dangerous chemicals, corrosives, noxious substances, compressed gases, live animals, body parts........ That's why they need to know what you are shipping.

They usually ask, "Are you shipping anything breakable, flammable, explosive...?" I've never had them directly ask, "What are you shipping?"

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
They usually ask, "Are you shipping anything breakable, flammable, explosive...?" I've never had them directly ask, "What are you shipping?"

I have never had them not ask. It seems that is part of determining the rate and acceptability.