• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Employee's in Open Carry States question.

countryclubjoe

Hi Folks

What type of businesses in open carry states, allow their employees to open carry?

Three types come to mind for me,, gun stores, pawn shops, check cashing stores.

TIA for the reply's

CCJ

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
We've got a 2-store chain of convenience stores here in Richmond that permits employees to open carry. I've been in convenience store/gas stations in the more rural areas of Virginia where the employee (often the owner or relative of the owner) open carried. There are three restaurants near me where the owner/cook open carries (one of which also proudly displays a VCDL GSL bumper sticker on the wall).

Waiting with bated breath to read what goes on elsewhere.

stay safe.

XD40sc

Hi Folks

What type of businesses in open carry states, allow their employees to open carry?

TIA for the reply's

CCJ

Inside your own business (or with the owners permission) why would laws determine if you could OC or not? It is private property, merely open to the public during business hours.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Inside your own business (or with the owners permission) why would laws determine if you could OC or not? It is private property, merely open to the public during business hours.

I read the question as asking what/what type of employers allowed/permitted/did not fire their employees for open carrying. Not about the law but the mindset/behavior of the employer.

CCJ - let me know if that's not a "correct" interpretation of your question.

stay safe.

jackrockblc

That was my interpretation, as well.

But I don't think the "type" of business will be any indication of whether or not they will allow open carry. In reality, it would be the personal views of the owner(s) or senior management. For example, most restaurants in my area (Denver-ish) won't allow open carry, but Shooter's in Rifle, CO encourages it with training.

MSG Laigaie

Campaign Veteran
City of Subdued Excitement

I live in Washington State, a very strong OC State for now.

I went to a car/truck rental place locally. I prefer Mom&Pops over chains. As I am always OC, the usual questions ensued. I went back a few weeks later to get another rental and there were SEVERAL people OCing. Once they learned that it was 100% wonderful in WA they embraced it with a passion. I will wager they will not be robbed any time soon.

deepdiver

Campaign Veteran
Outside of gun shops I can't think of any time I have seen OC by employees at a business here in MO although I have seen some owners at small businesses OC on occasion.

XD40sc

I read the question as asking what/what type of employers allowed/permitted/did not fire their employees for open carrying. Not about the law but the mindset/behavior of the employer.

stay safe.

Then why was the question asked about OC states only?

countryclubjoe

stay safe.

Hi Skidmark,

Yes Sir you are correct.. I am doing some research on the issue.

Always good hearing from you.

Regards
CCJ

countryclubjoe

Hi XD40sc

My query is regarding "open carry states" and what type businesses allow their employees to open carry while doing their employee duties...

Regards

CCJ

countryclubjoe

I live in Washington State, a very strong OC State for now.

I went to a car/truck rental place locally. I prefer Mom&Pops over chains. As I am always OC, the usual questions ensued. I went back a few weeks later to get another rental and there were SEVERAL people OCing. Once they learned that it was 100% wonderful in WA they embraced it with a passion. I will wager they will not be robbed any time soon.

Hi MSG Laigaie

Thank you for your reply... This is exactly the kind of story I was looking for. It goes to show folks that many business owners in open carry states have no clue about the laws and their rights and the rights of their employees... And yes I agree, they will not be robbed any time soon...

It would also be great to see owners of such establishments posting signs that their employees are law abiding citizens and are exercising their right to keep and bear arms while doing their employee duties along with keeping our great customers safe from those who wish to do us harm... My.02

Thank you again for sharing.

Regards
CCJ

XD40sc

Hi XD40sc

My query is regarding "open carry states" and what type businesses allow their employees to open carry while doing their employee duties...

Regards

CCJ

I was just curious, as 'inside a business', is treated like 'inside your home' by most states, and you can OC or CC inside your home regardless of the states laws or permits.

How about gun stores in states without OC? Anyone shop there, do they OC? Lets here from the SC, TX, NY and a few others members.

countryclubjoe

I was just curious, as 'inside a business', is treated like 'inside your home' by most states, and you can OC or CC inside your home regardless of the states laws or permits.

How about gun stores in states without OC? Anyone shop there, do they OC? Lets here from the SC, TX, NY and a few others members.

Thank you for your reply, however I am only interested in states that allow citizens to "open carry" and businesses in those states that allow their employees to OC, not to mention this is an "open carry" forum.

So please don't hi jack my thread with CC carry issues however feel free to start another thread based on your query...

Regards

CCJ

ShootinRugers

Hi Folks

TIA for the reply's

CCJ
Any business where the owner says go ahead and open carry. I can't think of a business if I saw an employee OC where I wouldn't go in.

Places where I've seen employees OCing besides one LGS I've seen an employee OC at a local butcher shop once in a while and a scrap metal yard two guys always are OCing; both also have the green pro gun signs.

I've seen the guys carry at the mini-mart where the clerk was being robbed recently, shot and killed 2 of three robbers. Not sure if you want to count this one; the farmers market by mom-in-laws the owner carries but it's a single action and I'm pretty sure it's for critters in the fields.

Last edited:

N605TW

Activist Member
I have worked a few security jobs but I don't think that counts.
Until recently I drove a tow truck and open carried most of the time. The owner would carry too.

GhostOfJefferson

Motorcycle shops seem friendly to any form of carry, even by their employees, at least around my neck of the woods. One up the road from me has employees regularly open carrying or "barely concealed" carrying to the point that it's open by any reasonable standard except the law (which is not reasonable in Ohio). What's interesting is that the particular shop I'm referencing I never saw any employee carry in, but I always carried in it openly. Had a chat with the owner one day, then went back a few months later and saw guns aplenty.

325rto

The owner of a local Chinese food joint open carries because he's been robbed several times.
An employee at one of the local hvac supply houses oc's intermittently. The owners encourage it. The supply house is a family owned business, not a national chain.