• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Panic Buttons for the Public: Why Open Carry Is Bad for America

WalkingWolf

OC Freedom

Well it is the Huffington post after all. But I have to admit the horror of seeing a man in a kilt is pretty frightening.:rolleyes:

I am still trying to process that they actually printed "kilt" like a skirt on a woman or man makes a person a terrorist. What have these loons been smoking?

Yeah the kilt is a sign of a terrorist. This guys only crime is poor fashion choices. I'll stick to wearing pants myself.:lol:

TFred

Shannon Watts Desperately Fears Open Carry

Background from the OCDO Press Kit page:

Anthropologist Charles Springwood sums it up nicely when he commented that open carriers are trying to “naturalize the presence of guns, which means that guns become ordinary, omnipresent, and expected. Over time, the gun becomes a symbol of ordinary personhood.”

OpenCarry.org believes that “a right unexercised is a right lost,” and increasingly gun owners are agreeing – it’s time gun carry comes out of the closet across America!​

It appears that Shannon Watts is well aware of how dangerous the normalization of Open Carry is to her agenda:

What Really Scares Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense in America’s Shannon Watts

Excerpts below, Italics are quote from Shannon Watts in a HuffPo article, linked at previous article just above.

Note: The linked article does start out with a focus on the controversy of open carry of long guns, which OCDO does not endorse. The author does eventually broaden the scope to include all legal open carry.

TFred

Open carry is a scary thing – right until it isn’t. At some point, anti-gun observers realize that an openly carried firearm is not a threat to their life or liberty. At some point, the sight of a gun on the hip of a fellow citizen becomes normal. It may take a bit longer for the public to become comfortable with a slung AR, but yes, that too.

The more law-abiding people who open carry, the less guns cause fear amongst non-gun owners. The less fear they have, the less likely they are to join a political crusade against firearm ownership or carry. Open carry normalization could sound the death knell of anti-gun extremism – if you forgive the expression.

Open carry extremists have shined a bright light on the NRA’s vision for the future of America, and it’s not pretty. Moms won’t let the concerted efforts by the gun lobby and open carry extremists to put our families and communities at risk go unchecked. With rights come responsibilities, and for the safety and security of our restaurants, state capitols, and other public places, we must push back on armed intimidation. After all, there are no panic buttons for the public.

Hang on. If there aren’t any panic buttons for the public — assuming 911 service is down — doesn’t that leave the public defenseless? Shouldn’t they have a tool that allows them to defend themselves against a lethal threat? And if they had that tool, wouldn’t it be a good idea to carry it openly to deter attacks, and protect their right to have it by exercising that right publicly?

Shannon gets it. And it terrifies her. Reason enough to open carry, I reckon. You?​

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Who is Shannon Watts and those moms of whom you speak?

I keep listening but I don't hear their roar....wait what was that? Never mind, was the neighbor's cat. :lol:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I like Shannon Watts. She does a great job of collecting all the idiotic, idealistic insanity of the antis into a nice, cohesive package suitable for quick rebuttal.

stealthyeliminator

Let's give her credit where credit is due, it takes real talent to hold a straight face when accusing another of making intimidations and threats while there are at least two documented cases of armed persons in your own organization actually physically assaulting members of the public.

OC for ME

The Huffing and Puffington Post should be shunned, there is nothing new that can be learned from them, on any topic, that cannot be learned from a legitimate news source. A glorified blog hosting service gaining the moniker "news outlet" is not unexpected considering liberals are the target audience/consumer.

TFred

Seriously? I post first, frame my post in direct context with the OCDO philosophy, and then get my post folded into a later thread with just a simple link??

Where's the fairness!!!?? ;)

TFred

skidmark

Campaign Veteran

TFred

The fairness is to be found in late summer/early fall at that place just past the city limits. Look for the ferris wheel and the walking display of what tattoos not to get.:p

(And remember - if they posted their stuff safter you it shows up closer to the top. Stuff farther from the top gets blended into stuff closer to the top - it's a "rule" according to the observed behavior of some folks.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Seriously? I post first, frame my post in direct context with the OCDO philosophy, and then get my post folded into a later thread with just a simple link??

TFred
You sleep, you lose.:p

The OP posted 12 hours before your well detailed submission.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Ha ha, well now I'm red-faced... I didn't see the AM vs PM! :)

TFred
When merging 2 or more threads, the software automatically places the posts in correct chronological order. That cannot be manually changed.

The only options would be which title to use and in which sub-forum it should be placed/moved. Occasionally redundant posts are edited/deleted.