• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Colorado Man’s Realistic Gun Shirts Come With A Warning

WalkingWolf

Except for one thing, skidmark. He's been at it for more than a year and a half, yet none of your or others' many nay-sayings have every come to pass. I'm not saying they won't at some time in the future. However, given a database of many tens of thousands of t-shirts already sold around the world without any such incident, it's highly unlikely that should any such incident ever occur, it would be a part of any "trend." Rather, it would an isolated incident, much like the guy who was showing off his first firearm by OCing, without bullets, around 2 am, and had it taken away from him. Funny, yes. Thankfully, it wasn't tragic. Regardless, it was isolated.

In the meantime, just listen to the guy in this 30-second spot on CBS. His response was simple, well-grounded, and straightforward.

When I first heard about this, I thought precisely the same thing as you: "t's a target. It's a mistake. It's dangerous. Not smart to wear a t-shirt that looks like a gun when you don't actually have a gun."

I was wrong.

Only recently did I realize that you're no more likely to be accosted or shot for looking like you're OCing than you are for OCing. For years we've been telling people precisely that. We've been telling them that OCing does not make us an instant target.

Rail all you want. It's a free country. Just realize the data has been coming in for over a year and a half, and it says otherwise, loud and clear.

Except people have been shot OCing non firearms, in several cases. One case a individual was shot just complying and getting his drivers license as commanded. I assume Skid, as I, is not talking about the common criminal, but the few negligent police officers an individual may come in contact with. Some anti in a Walmart could see the shirt and Swatt the shirt wearer and the police respond, and shoot because they claim he did not put the gun down fast enough. Or in the case of a shirt, not at all.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Except people have been shot OCing non firearms, in several cases.

People have been shot OCing water sprinklers and a whole lot of other things, including nothing at all. Your point?

Some anti in a Walmart could see the shirt and Swatt the shirt wearer and the police respond, and shoot because they claim he did not put the gun down fast enough. Or in the case of a shirt, not at all.

You DO realize you're sounding EXACTLY like the antis, don't you?

Let's try this on: You shouldn't OC because someone in Walmart might see the gun and call the police. When the police respond, they shoot because they claim he did not put the gun down fast enough.

Sound familiar?

Yeah...

Last edited:

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Moving on - merely breathing increases the risk that some cop somewhere at some time is going to over-react for some reason.

Worrying about what some cop may or may not do is not why I carry a holstered handgun.

These shirts, just like the "Perceiced Carry" items, have the likelihood of confusing those who are the main reason I carry and handgun. As such, they have the likelihood of either a) working effectively as a deterrent or b) not working as a deterrent.

Wearing one of these shirts, like wearing a hunk of plastic that looks like a holstered handgun but isn't, IMHO puts the wearer at a disadvantage when the deterrent factor does not work. There is nothing left to fall back to.

That has nothing to do with how antis and/or cops may or may not react. It has to do with my options for coming out the other side at least physically the same as I went in. ("Everybody goes home alive at the end of the day" is not just for cops.)

You may now return to discussing how cool these shirts look and who is going to get shot first.

stay safe.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I laugh out loud whenever I hear a LEO talking about how they support gun rights and the second amendment.

I groan out loud whenever I read such comments on this board. A number of our members are LEOs or former LEOs, a few of us are/were certified state police instructors or similar, myself included.

While the entertainment value may be good for you, the negative posture in which it places OCDO is not going to be lightly accepted.

Attended an OC breakfast recently where a major (rank) of a large organization was present and in uniform. Nice breakfast, good conversation, no one laughed at him.........he is very pro RKBA, 2A, legal carry for all.

Google Sheriff Danny Diggs for another and/or check out the Sheriff's site for Tazwell County, Va. Believe me there are others - times are changing.

Returning you to the regular scheduled program - back on topic.

WalkingWolf

Except people have been shot OCing non firearms, in several cases.[/qutoe]

People have been shot OCing water sprinklers and a whole lot of other things, including nothing at all. Your point?

You DO realize you're sounding EXACTLY like the antis, don't you?

Let's try this on: You shouldn't OC because someone in Walmart might see the gund and call the police. When the police respond, and shoot because they claim he did not put the gun down fast enough.

Sound familiar?

Yeah...

I consider wearing a shirt for crime deterrence the act of an idiot. I am anti idiots!

YMMV

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
Moving on - merely breathing increases the risk that some cop somewhere at some time is going to over-react for some reason.

Worrying about what some cop may or may not do is not why I carry a holstered handgun.

These shirts, just like the "Perceiced Carry" items, have the likelihood of confusing those who are the main reason I carry and handgun. As such, they have the likelihood of either a) working effectively as a deterrent or b) not working as a deterrent.

Why is everyone debating their deterrent factor? That's not why the guy created the shirts, and it's not why they're selling.

Some people buy them to wear in locations where they can't OC. Others buy them because they don't like or want to OC or carry at all, but they still support our RKBA.

Overall, the effect isn't one of deterrence. It's one of systematic desensitization. The more the general public sees firearms or even the appearance of firearms on a shirt, the more accustomed they become to seeing it. When it comes to firearms, people are more scared by what they don't know than what they do know.

OC for ME

... When it comes to firearms, people are more scared by what they don't know than what they do know.
...or what they might claim, in front of a judge, that they do not know...or did not know, depending on what the question is that is asking them what they know, knew, or did not know, or knew, at the time.