• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Some decent gun bills this year

timf343

Campaign Veteran
Hey all, I know it's been a while since I've been here. I've been inactive for quite a while. I probably still will be mostly inactive, but would love to catch up with some old friends and meet some new faces if anyone is down for a strip walk...

Anyway, I've noticed a few pretty decent gun bills introduced this session so far.

AB2 - OK to have gun in car while at college, public/private school or daycare if kept hidden from sight

AB127 - Eliminate Clark County blue card (and all other local/county ordinances throughout state)

AB139 - Reciprocity (we accept all CCW permits issued by any state)

AB148 - OK for CCW holder to carry on school property, including public & private, as well as colleges and child care facilities. Also allows concealed carry in the public (non secure) area of an airport

SB143 - Constitutional Carry

I know some, like AB2, could go farther, but if we don't get AB148 passed, AB2 would be a good start to not becoming a criminal simply by making a wrong turn into a parking lot.

Tim

ed2276

Hey all, I know it's been a while since I've been here. I've been inactive for quite a while. I probably still will be mostly inactive, but would love to catch up with some old friends and meet some new faces if anyone is down for a strip walk...

Anyway, I've noticed a few pretty decent gun bills introduced this session so far.

AB2 - OK to have gun in car while at college, public/private school or daycare if kept hidden from sight

AB127 - Eliminate Clark County blue card (and all other local/county ordinances throughout state)

AB139 - Reciprocity (we accept all CCW permits issued by any state)

AB148 - OK for CCW holder to carry on school property, including public & private, as well as colleges and child care facilities. Also allows concealed carry in the public (non secure) area of an airport

SB143 - Constitutional Carry

I know some, like AB2, could go farther, but if we don't get AB148 passed, AB2 would be a good start to not becoming a criminal simply by making a wrong turn into a parking lot.

Tim

While the above would seem to indicate a favorable gun rights environment in the legislature, I don't keep up on the political pulse of State politics. Do you have a feel for just what the chances are that the above will actually pass the legislature and be signed into law by the governor?

timf343

Campaign Veteran
While the above would seem to indicate a favorable gun rights environment in the legislature, I don't keep up on the political pulse of State politics. Do you have a feel for just what the chances are that the above will actually pass the legislature and be signed into law by the governor?

Republican Assembly, Republican Senate and Republican Governor. It's the best chance we've ever had.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I expect most of these to pass this year. State lawmaking is the one I pay attention to the most. I don't give a rat's ass what the US Congress does.

Nevada is turning back nearly 80 years of bad gun laws in this one session.

I haven't finished reading them all yet, but it looks like the biggest problem might be the continued lack of a penalty clause in the state preemption statutes. Even though these will now "eliminate" Clark's registration, I have a feeling it will go away kicking and screaming with a lot of cops intimidating a lot of citizens over it, with no recourse.

ed2276

I expect most of these to pass this year. State lawmaking is the one I pay attention to the most. I don't give a rat's ass what the US Congress does.

Nevada is turning back nearly 80 years of bad gun laws in this one session.

I haven't finished reading them all yet, but it looks like the biggest problem might be the continued lack of a penalty clause in the state preemption statutes. Even though these will now "eliminate" Clark's registration, I have a feeling it will go away kicking and screaming with a lot of cops intimidating a lot of citizens over it, with no recourse.

So, should I put off applying for a CCW and paying fees given that constitutional carry may be the law here in Nevada pretty soon?

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
So, should I put off applying for a CCW and paying fees given that constitutional carry may be the law here in Nevada pretty soon?

Honestly, I would, unless you think you'll want the permit anyway for the reciprocity you'll get in some other states. Of course, I could be wrong, and it won't pass, but I honestly think it will.

Ron_O

Honestly, I would, unless you think you'll want the permit anyway for the reciprocity you'll get in some other states. Of course, I could be wrong, and it won't pass, but I honestly think it will.

Mac, I just shot a letter off to the Senate Judiciary Committee members in support of taking up SB-143 and I'm going to post that in a new thread. They had this in committee before and it died there but with the new Republican control hopefully common sense will prevail.

I believe that if it passes the process of securing a CCW for reciprocity will be as simple as providing a training cert and securing a card. Whether they'll still do the background check remains to be seen.

I've been considering the CCW myself but will continue to hold off pending the outcome of this session. I believe the US Congress may manage to pass a reciprocity bill so that in itself may unravel a variety of issues nationwide. Let's hope they get that figured out.

DON`T TREAD ON ME

Tim

I have a funky schedule, but I am cool with a jaunt down the strip.

ed2276

I was going to get the Nevada CCW for here and the Florida permit, as well. But, if Nevada is going to be constitutional carry I won't need to pay for both. I will just use the Florida permit when I'm outside Nevada.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Unless you need to go to Florida itself, you will save a lot of money getting the UT permit instead of FL. It's less than half the price. FL will not recognize the non-resident UT permit, though. We should know in a month or two how the legislature is leaning re "Constitutional Carry."

Last edited:

ed2276

Unless you need to go to Florida itself, you will save a lot of money getting the UT permit instead of FL. It's less than half the price. FL will not recognize the non-resident UT permit, though. We should know in a month or two how the legislature is leaning re "Constitutional Carry."

Thanks for the advice. I'll go Utah. I don't specifically need FL. I mostly travel through Utah on my way to visit my family in Wyoming, and a non-resident UT permit is honored in the other places I may need to go...except Colorado. So, I don't mind saving a few bucks to accomplish my objective.

rpyne

Sadly, due to blackmail by Texas a few years back, Utah now requires that if you live in a state that recognizes Utah's permit, you must have your home state permit to get a Utah permit, so, depending which bill pass in Nevada, you might end up having to get your Nevada permit before you can get the Utah permit.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Sadly, due to blackmail by Texas a few years back, Utah now requires that if you live in a state that recognizes Utah's permit, you must have your home state permit to get a Utah permit, so, depending which bill pass in Nevada, you might end up having to get your Nevada permit before you can get the Utah permit.

Yes, that is correct, but I'm not sure how it applied to my post. Nevadans already know they have to conceal with a Nevada permit and that we do not recognize Utah's anyway, and can apply for Utah's before getting Nevada's.

Last edited:

rpyne

Yes, that is correct, but I'm not sure how it applied to my post. Nevadans already know they have to conceal with a Nevada permit and that we do not recognize Utah's anyway, and can apply for Utah's before getting Nevada's.

I was pointing out that if AB139 passes, Nevada residents will have to get their Nevada permit before being eligible for the Utah permit as an information point on your suggestion to ed2276 to just get the Utah permmit.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
I was pointing out that if AB139 passes, Nevada residents will have to get their Nevada permit before being eligible for the Utah permit as an information point on your suggestion to ed2276 to just get the Utah permit.

Oh yes! Now I see your point. I agree. That would be especially annoying if we get "Constitutional Carry" here, and don't need our own permit, and only want the UT permit for travel. Although, our recognizing any state's permit will likely significantly raise the number of states that recognize Nevada's, and therefore Utah's won't be as significant to us as before.

Last edited: