Thread: Florence Police provide common sense gun safety training

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Florence Police provide common sense gun safety training

Florence Police provide actual common sense gun safety training

While various special interest groups have co-opted the term “gun safety” to promote “gun control” laws, Alabama’s Florence Police Department is providing actual lessons to promote public knowledge of safe firearms ownership and handling, Tom Smith of the TimesDaily reported Sunday. The department's approach to an armed citizenry offers a stark contrast to urban police programs that sponsor “buy backs” and other initiatives encouraging citizens to surrender guns to the authorities.

“The ... Department has been sponsoring a gun safety classes for beginners as well as more experienced handlers for nearly seven years,” the report explains. With an average of 10 classes offered per year, over 1,600 citizens have taken advantage of the opportunity to go from beginner to “Level 3" classes, along the way learning about gun safety, legal issues, self-defense basics, and practical shooting range experience.

http://www.examiner.com/article/flor...alerts_article
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

“It was my first time, and I learned so much. I’m planning on getting a gun, and now I know how to use it.”... “I had never shot a gun until I went to the class. I left out of the class with the confidence I need in handling a gun and making the decision when I need to use a gun and when not to.”

I hope someone invites these folks to OCDO. I cannot imagine what the instructor is instructing in this image.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townn...457f.image.jpg
    Last edited by Nightmare; 02-16-2015 at 05:12 PM.
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    “It was my first time, and I learned so much. I’m planning on getting a gun, and now I know how to use it.”... “I had never shot a gun until I went to the class. I left out of the class with the confidence I need in handling a gun and making the decision when I need to use a gun and when not to.”

I hope someone invites these folks to OCDO. I cannot imagine what the instructor is instructing in this image.

Maybe he is trying to correct her grip. It is not in line with her arm, and could cause some discomfort shooting. Of course then the image could have just been a photo op.
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post

Perhaps the shooter is cross eye dominant? That can result in some really weird grips and arm positions.

I can think of all kinds of things he might be instructing her in plus the weird camera angle who can really tell
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Maybe she's hot. I wonder if any cops took the class.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    --snipped-- I wonder if any cops took the class.
    Why would you think they might?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Training gets better via critiques from knowledgeable observers.

Cops should be encourage to take the same training that the civilians take. This will place them in the same position as a citizen and citizens will see cops, if they know there is a cop in the class, going through the same training as they. A cop must not be compelled to disclose that he is a cop if he chooses to be mum on that score. Instructors should not know that a cop is in the class if the cop student does not divulge his occupation. If the instructor knows there is a cop no special treatment (instant instructor's helper), no special considerations at all. If a cop student knows that any mistakes will be critiqued and corrected just as if he were a novice civilian then the cop student has a level of apprehension that most inexperienced folks around guns have.

If cops are giving the training let other cops critique that training.

I taught folks how to shoot pistols/rifles/shotguns/automatic weapons, hand grenades, 40mm grenade launchers, while in the Navy.

I would not presume to contradict his instruction during the course of that instruction, a cop student is in a better position to do this. Real time course material adjustment makes for a better training/learning environment.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Training gets better via critiques from knowledgeable observers.

Cops should be encourage to take the same training that the civilians take. This will place them in the same position as a citizen and citizens will see cops, if they know there is a cop in the class, going through the same training as they. A cop must not be compelled to disclose that he is a cop if he chooses to be mum on that score. Instructors should not know that a cop is in the class if the cop student does not divulge his occupation. If the instructor knows there is a cop no special treatment (instant instructor's helper), no special considerations at all. If a cop student knows that any mistakes will be critiqued and corrected just as if he were a novice civilian then the cop student has a level of apprehension that most inexperienced folks around guns have.

If cops are giving the training let other cops critique that training.

I taught folks how to shoot pistols/rifles/shotguns/automatic weapons, hand grenades, 40mm grenade launchers, while in the Navy.

I would not presume to contradict his instruction during the course of that instruction, a cop student is in a better position to do this. Real time course material adjustment makes for a better training/learning environment.
    I love asking leading questions. Get the best answers that way too.

I love asking leading questions. Get the best answers that way too.
    ...more like a pulling question, pulled me into explaining the obvious.

It's probably the camera angle that makes it look weird or maybe he is trying to get her to move over? who knows. I have me a surprising number of people who never shot a gun and dont know where to start or who to ask so something like this could be really good for them.

Not many range instructors push the "thumbs forward" grip. I really have improved since transitioning to it though. Anytime i show someone the grip, they almost instantly improve.