• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Florence Police provide common sense gun safety training

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
[h=1]Florence Police provide actual common sense gun safety training[/h]While various special interest groups have co-opted the term “gun safety” to promote “gun control” laws, Alabama’s Florence Police Department is providing actual lessons to promote public knowledge of safe firearms ownership and handling, Tom Smith of the TimesDaily reported Sunday. The department's approach to an armed citizenry offers a stark contrast to urban police programs that sponsor “buy backs” and other initiatives encouraging citizens to surrender guns to the authorities.

“The ... Department has been sponsoring a gun safety classes for beginners as well as more experienced handlers for nearly seven years,” the report explains. With an average of 10 classes offered per year, over 1,600 citizens have taken advantage of the opportunity to go from beginner to “Level 3" classes, along the way learning about gun safety, legal issues, self-defense basics, and practical shooting range experience.

http://www.examiner.com/article/flo...n-safety-training?CID=examiner_alerts_article

WalkingWolf

“It was my first time, and I learned so much. I’m planning on getting a gun, and now I know how to use it.”... “I had never shot a gun until I went to the class. I left out of the class with the confidence I need in handling a gun and making the decision when I need to use a gun and when not to.”

I hope someone invites these folks to OCDO. I cannot imagine what the instructor is instructing in this image.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...1e4-9fc4-e341828531a1/54e1583ac457f.image.jpg

Maybe he is trying to correct her grip. It is not in line with her arm, and could cause some discomfort shooting. Of course then the image could have just been a photo op.

notalawyer

“It was my first time, and I learned so much. I’m planning on getting a gun, and now I know how to use it.”... “I had never shot a gun until I went to the class. I left out of the class with the confidence I need in handling a gun and making the decision when I need to use a gun and when not to.”

I hope someone invites these folks to OCDO. I cannot imagine what the instructor is instructing in this image.

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.town...1e4-9fc4-e341828531a1/54e1583ac457f.image.jpg

Perhaps the shooter is cross eye dominant? That can result in some really weird grips and arm positions.

OC for ME

Why would you think they might?
Training gets better via critiques from knowledgeable observers.

Cops should be encourage to take the same training that the civilians take. This will place them in the same position as a citizen and citizens will see cops, if they know there is a cop in the class, going through the same training as they. A cop must not be compelled to disclose that he is a cop if he chooses to be mum on that score. Instructors should not know that a cop is in the class if the cop student does not divulge his occupation. If the instructor knows there is a cop no special treatment (instant instructor's helper), no special considerations at all. If a cop student knows that any mistakes will be critiqued and corrected just as if he were a novice civilian then the cop student has a level of apprehension that most inexperienced folks around guns have.

If cops are giving the training let other cops critique that training.

I taught folks how to shoot pistols/rifles/shotguns/automatic weapons, hand grenades, 40mm grenade launchers, while in the Navy.

I would not presume to contradict his instruction during the course of that instruction, a cop student is in a better position to do this. Real time course material adjustment makes for a better training/learning environment.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Why would you think they might?

Training gets better via critiques from knowledgeable observers.

Cops should be encourage to take the same training that the civilians take. This will place them in the same position as a citizen and citizens will see cops, if they know there is a cop in the class, going through the same training as they. A cop must not be compelled to disclose that he is a cop if he chooses to be mum on that score. Instructors should not know that a cop is in the class if the cop student does not divulge his occupation. If the instructor knows there is a cop no special treatment (instant instructor's helper), no special considerations at all. If a cop student knows that any mistakes will be critiqued and corrected just as if he were a novice civilian then the cop student has a level of apprehension that most inexperienced folks around guns have.

If cops are giving the training let other cops critique that training.

I taught folks how to shoot pistols/rifles/shotguns/automatic weapons, hand grenades, 40mm grenade launchers, while in the Navy.

I would not presume to contradict his instruction during the course of that instruction, a cop student is in a better position to do this. Real time course material adjustment makes for a better training/learning environment.
I love asking leading questions. Get the best answers that way too. :)

Kopis

It's probably the camera angle that makes it look weird or maybe he is trying to get her to move over? who knows. I have me a surprising number of people who never shot a gun and dont know where to start or who to ask so something like this could be really good for them.

Not many range instructors push the "thumbs forward" grip. I really have improved since transitioning to it though. Anytime i show someone the grip, they almost instantly improve.