Thread: Physical, moral, IQ, tattoos, obesity, prescription drugs hinder recruitment effort

Physical, moral, IQ, tattoos, obesity, prescription drugs hinder recruitment effort

Army Reserve candidates’ tattoos, obesity, prescription drugs hinder recruitment effort. Physical, moral or cognitive shortcomings eliminate 71 percent of potential military recruits

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ty-prescripti/
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

On the plus side, moral and cognitive shortcomings have greatly increased the recruitment of Marines.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    On the plus side, moral and cognitive shortcomings have greatly increased the recruitment of Marines.
    Now that's just not true! Marines are not dumb.

Stupid, yes. Dumb, no.

Seriously, you cannot be dumb and FUBAR things like a Marine. It takes intelligence and imagination to achieve the level of FUBARness that a Marine can reach. And in groups? It's like a bunch of ADHD Einsteins playing with things that go BANG!

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Army Reserve candidates’ tattoos, obesity, prescription drugs hinder recruitment effort. Physical, moral or cognitive shortcomings eliminate 71 percent of potential military recruits
    Employers should sit up and take note. This says honorably discharged members of the military are in the top 29% of their peer group, at least with respect to tattoos, obesity, prescription drugs, physical, moral, and cognitive issues.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Your statistics assume a normal symmetrical distribution with small variation. I would suggest rather that it is skewed to the right with a long fat tail.

Really? 71% of potential recruits are unsuitable? What does that say about the civilian population? Obese, drug dependent, morally challenged? Also the line in the article about recruiters having problems with the increased enlistment desires of DOD: When DOD is already getting rid of 248,000 (approx.) people, why in the world are they concerned with taking in more new people? Keep that many of the ones you are getting rid of. Most of the ones leaving are simply in occupational specialties that are overstocked; retrain them, and retain them.

Skidmark, I enjoyed your comment.

Remember that this only applies to those who applied. You can't extrapolate that to the rest of the population without further information. It could be that the thought of military benefits appeals to certain types of people more than others. After all, they have found that positions of power often attract those who desire to have power over others.

As for kicking people out vs recruiting, there's several things at play. One of the big ones is that in the long run it is cheaper to kick people out early and train a new guy than it is to pay that first guy a retirement check for the rest of his life plus other retirement benefits. This is the same reason the AF has a waist measurement as part of its PT test. It has been found that statically those with a smaller waist have fewer medical issues then those with a larger waist, regardless of how tall one might be. So in the AF that 6'6" guy needs to have the same waist as the 5'6" guy regardless of how physically fit he really is.

Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    1. 71% of potential recruits are unsuitable? What does that say about the civilian population? Obese, drug dependent, morally challenged?

2. When DOD is already getting rid of 248,000 (approx.) people, why in the world are they concerned with taking in more new people? Keep that many of the ones you are getting rid of.

3. Most of the ones leaving are simply in occupational specialties that are overstocked; retrain them, and retain them
    1. It says volumes about the Civilian population. Take a look around and you will see it. But do not include the walmart people, it will skew your results.

2. The same reason you rotate your dry goods in storage. The majority who leave after one enlistment is great. They need to be replenished.

3. They do. When I left recruiting command I was given the opportunity to retrain in another MOS. Happens to the better Soldiers who are retained.

I see a storm coming. The senior officers of the Military are being sent home. Troops are being worn down by continuous deployments. Gangs are becoming prevalent ON our Military bases. Illegals are going to be allowed to enlist. I see a storm coming.
    "Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the people's liberty teeth (and) keystone... the rifle and the pistol are equally indispensable... more than 99% of them by their silence indicate that they are in safe and sane hands. The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference .When firearms go, all goes, we need them every hour." -- George Washington

Glenn Beck: World War III coming — ‘we must humble ourselves’ to God

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...st-humble-our/
    Further illustrating the divide in Americans, the un-humbled with injected self-esteem from we that earned it the old fashioned way, by hard work from humble beginnings. God Bless US Bitter Clingers.
    Glenn: After Coptic Christians were beheaded in Libya, there is much more yet to come
    Source: http://www.glennbeck.com/2015/02/16/...ntentcopy_link

Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    1. It says volumes about the Civilian population. Take a look around and you will see it. But do not include the walmart people, it will skew your results.

2. The same reason you rotate your dry goods in storage. The majority who leave after one enlistment is great. They need to be replenished.

3. They do. When I left recruiting command I was given the opportunity to retrain in another MOS. Happens to the better Soldiers who are retained.

I see a storm coming. The senior officers of the Military are being sent home. Troops are being worn down by continuous deployments. Gangs are becoming prevalent ON our Military bases. Illegals are going to be allowed to enlist. I see a storm coming.
    Hipster...a rapidly growing demographic, one not predisposition-ed to consider military service, no iPhone for some period of time after joining. No Starbucks during that period as well. Then there is the lack of being stationed in the West Village, Berkly, or the Mission District across the Bay. Now-a-days PBR is everywhere it seems, and Uncle Sam does not issue standard issued skinny jeans.

Nope, the people of Walmart should be included...if ya got a pulse, only misdemeanors on your record, and have gradgiated high skrool then we'll consider your request to volunteer...time they are getting tight.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie View Post
    The real concern is the character of our military.

How our servicemen conduct themselves overseas is of real concern. They were not perfect during and after WWII. But they were fairly good (especially compared to the Soviets) and this allowed them (and by extension our nation) to be seen as liberators and rebuilders throughout Europe and even in Japan.

But of far more concern than how the military behaves themselves overseas is how they behave themselves here at home. We want service members of sufficient intelligence, education, and morals as to understand when grossly immoral and illegal orders are being given and to refuse to act on them. What we really need is a military whose officers and enlisted ranks are of sufficient morals that nobody would dare issue such orders against the American people because they know it would not be obeyed.

We also need to consider on the risks of providing military level training to gang members, foreign nationals, or others who will take that training and use it against us.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Quote Originally Posted by utbagpiper View Post

We also need to consider on the risks of providing military level training to gang members, foreign nationals, or others who will take that training and use it against us.

Charles
    Funny you should mention this. Back in 79 we were transferring the ole USS Trout over to Iran when the "revolution" broke out. A Iranian officer pulled a pistol on a Marine...fortunately the Marine was more professional, and committed, than the Iranian...no shots fired and the Iranians abandoned the Trout.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Funny you should mention this. Back in 79 we were transferring the ole USS Trout over to Iran when the "revolution" broke out. A Iranian officer pulled a pistol on a Marine...fortunately the Marine was more professional, and committed, than the Iranian...no shots fired and the Iranians abandoned the Trout.
    LOL Remember

Harder, Darter,
    Trigger, and Trout,
    Never come in
    'Cause they never go out.

I was just moments ago rummaging through my papers, to copy my DD214 for a Florida permit, when I came across photos of launching Scamp SS-277 and Scorpion SS-278 at PNS Kittery, ME where USS Sand Lance was the last built.

I duh-know, when we did hit deep water I hated being a rabbit...granted, most times we never got much past Montauk Light. Not bad shore duty if ya ask me.

it says..............

Quote Originally Posted by bc.cruiser View Post
    Really? 71% of potential recruits are unsuitable? What does that say about the civilian population? :
    it says that nobody is at home kicking butt on these kids as they are growing up.............. Oh , I forgot, we already knew that, didn't we?

the "it ain't my fault" excuse is winning the game of life...........