• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is the governor just posturing or is there a chance

stealthyeliminator

that any of the OC bills will actually pass and land on his desk?

http://www.breitbart.com/texas/2015...abbott-says-he-will-sign-open-carry-into-law/

I know bills have been doing well getting through committees but was not aware there was a chance of passing in the legislature. Did I miss or misinterpret something?

I'm all for female dog-slapping Moms Demand Action.

stay safe.

Licensed OC and campus carry are expected to pass, that's definitely the vibe I get.

()pen(arry

No bill gets passed without Joe Straus letting it through the House. I still haven't seen any evidence that that hurdle is surmountable. I certainly want Texas to get Open Carry, but let's make sure our optimism is grounded in reality.

jordanmills

No bill gets passed without Joe Straus letting it through the House. I still haven't seen any evidence that that hurdle is surmountable. I certainly want Texas to get Open Carry, but let's make sure our optimism is grounded in reality.

That's how it looks to me too. Nothing has changed with that jerk.

ct214

Is there no way around or through the Speaker of the House? It seems like this guy ends up having more power than the Governor. The Governor can veto and be overridden, but the Speaker can apparently make sure the thing never gets to the Governor's desk?

Glockster

I've read that he is supposedly Republican, and to the left of center and that his preference is to let bills die by calendar. So I guess the question is whether he supports the platform and stated mandates as priority...or is he simply a RINO? And how was it that he hasn't ticked off enough folks to lose the SoH?

mustangkiller

Jm Lozano

According to my conversations with Rep Lozano, he's gonna have a tough time killing OC and Con. Carry bills this session due to the overwhelming support. I also hope and suspect our Gov would call a special session to make it happen. Fingers crossed....

()pen(arry

I've read that he is supposedly Republican, and to the left of center and that his preference is to let bills die by calendar. So I guess the question is whether he supports the platform and stated mandates as priority...or is he simply a RINO? And how was it that he hasn't ticked off enough folks to lose the SoH?

Joe Straus is the archetypal Texas Republican legislator: entirely self-serving and unabashedly statist, but says Republican-sounding things to a Republican constituency, and the morons keep electing him. To make matters worse, so many other standard Texas Republican House members want to be just like him that no one ever seriously opposes him for Speaker. Ultimately, the fault lies with Texas Republican voters: the only thing they ever vote for is the letter R. Good game, Texas Republicans.

According to my conversations with Rep Lozano, he's gonna have a tough time killing OC and Con. Carry bills this session due to the overwhelming support. I also hope and suspect our Gov would call a special session to make it happen. Fingers crossed....

How is he going to have a tough time? If he doesn't take action to make it happen, it doesn't happen. He controls the legislative calendar of the House. All he has to do is not assign it to a committee, and it never goes anywhere. He was even more brazen last session: despite a near-super majority in the Texas House, he appointed Democrats as the chairs of both of the House Committees that OC and campus carry bills would be assigned to, and they were of course assigned to one of them. The bills died in committee, because the chairs never scheduled them for debate (or were reported out too late to be considered by the full house, I can't remember which; the result is identical).

Texas Republicans keep electing Joe Straus to the Texas House, and Texas Republicans keep electing him to the Speaker's office. If you want to blame someone for the lack of OC or campus carry in Texas, the only people you can blame are Texas Republicans.

stealthyeliminator

Guys, I don't believe Joe is going to be able to 'get away' with obviously intentionally killing these bills this session. Will he use his spot to kill bills when he thinks he can get away with it? No denying it. Doesn't mean every bill ever is vulnerable to him. No OC bill has had anywhere near the support it has this session. It's a night and day difference.

Last edited:

mustangkiller

Stealthy took the words right out of my mouth. JM's point was that he can kill anything he wants but he would kill his career right along with it. He's not dumb...a jack ass? Sure. But not dumb.

bloodhound13

Guys, I don't believe Joe is going to be able to 'get away' with obviously intentionally killing these bills this session. Will he use his spot to kill bills when he thinks he can get away with it? No denying it. Doesn't mean every bill ever is vulnerable to him. No OC bill has had anywhere near the support it has this session. It's a night and day difference.

Agreed. I have been following this legislature since last session, and while I think some supporters have gone full on wing-nut, you are going to have that in any demographic. I have noticed that since it got some attention last session, it made it harder to be swept under the rug this session. I believe we will see OC this year...can't wait for September 1st.

Last edited: