Thread: Travel From Colorado to Florida

Travel From Colorado to Florida

Planning a trip from Colorado to Florida and will be carrying fire arm. I would like to hear suggestions on proceeding through each State legally. Route will be Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida. I do not yet have concealed carry permit in CO. Thanks for input.

I know Mississippi is constitutional carry now. You can open carry without a permit.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kopis View Post
    I know Mississippi is constitutional carry now. You can open carry without a permit.
    Beg to differ!

Mississippi is not a constitutional carry state. Someone not otherwise restricted may OC, but a recognized permit is required to CC.
    http://www.opencarry.org/?page_id=261

Constitutional carry means no permit is required to OC or CC.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaamzbond View Post
    Planning a trip from Colorado to Florida and will be carrying fire arm. I would like to hear suggestions on proceeding through each State legally. Route will be Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, Florida. I do not yet have concealed carry permit in CO. Thanks for input.
    www.handgunlaw.us is a great resource in addition to whatever expertise you can get from knowledgeable locals. It is updated regularly, and has a great track record of accuracy, referred to by many instructors in several states.

Research the FGFSZA before you sweat about it. It's impotent. Be mindful of states that may have similar local laws, however.

On the tangent: I've never liked the term "Constitutional Carry." It's usually not. It implies there are no laws restricting the state Constitutional right to bear arms, not that there are laws that make exceptions to other laws, with restrictions. Vermont is an actual Constitutional carry state. States like Arizona are a so-called "Constitutional Carry" state.
    Last edited by MAC702; 02-18-2015 at 03:05 PM.
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    --snipped--

On the tangent: I've never liked the term "Constitutional Carry." It's usually not. It implies there are no laws restricting the state Constitutional right to bear arms, not that there are laws that make exceptions to other laws, with restrictions. Vermont is an actual Constitutional carry state. States like Arizona are a so-called "Constitutional Carry" state.
    I understand your position most clearly.

However, we haz to call it somethin' and the descriptor has become fairly commonly recognized as where and when a person not otherwise restricted has the personal choice of how they carry........subject to details of where, when, why, how and what etc, etc.

Pretty simple - no?
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Regular Member twoskinsonemanns's Avatar
    Considering the 2nd and 14th amendment you are free to carry traveling through any state. lol No not really. This isn't the land of the free or anything.
    I make a trek from WV to Co every once in a while. There's really no choice if you want to be legal. When approaching a commie state I unload and lock the gun in a case. And I don't make any unnecessary stops. Then when I am out of said commie state I re-arm.
    "I support the ban on assault weapons" - Donald Trump

We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission - Ayn Rand