• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SC - Open Carry of a NON-FIREABLE Replica Flintlock Pistol during re-enactments?

I know that "Open Carry" is currently illegal in SC. BUT, IS THE FOLLOWING REALLY A PROBLEM?

I expect to be part of a ceremony later this year which honors Revolutionary War Patriots. I expect to be in "period attire" similar to that of a southern militia soldier during the Revolutionary War.

I would like to carry - on my belt in a suitable holster - an UNFIREABLE Flintlock Pistol replica which is purported to be like that General George Washington used during the conflict with the British. This is nothing more than a look-a-like that cannot even fire something like a BB.

Am I likely to be accused of violating the SC gun laws? I do have a SC carry permit, so I certainly do not care to cause me a problem with that.

I would like credible stories/experiences anyone may have. Or, a suggestion as to some organization that might be able to give me credible and correct information/advice.

Thanks.

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
Will you be part of an organized re-enactment? Or a "parade" - to use/abuse that term. Most likely they need a permit of some sort, as my recollection is they go around shooting off BP muskets and cannons all over the place. Many folks also have swords/sabers/bayonets that get waved around (in a controlled manner).

Check with the organizers about your non-firing replica at the event.

stay safe.

Maverick9

Perhaps mail it to HQ and pick it up on the day?

Or, contact your Sheriff and get a letter saying you're exempt from arrest/confiscation/detainment on that day?