• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

No Reciprocity Now

Mainsail

So WA (where I live) and FL (where you live) used to have reciprocity. The key phrase is USED to.

Looking over the FL 790.015 language, seems to allow and then disallow me carrying a concealed handgun.

(1) Notwithstanding s. 790.01, a nonresident of Florida may carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm while in this state if the nonresident:
(a) Is 21 years of age or older.
(b) Has in his or her immediate possession a valid license to carry a concealed weapon or concealed firearm issued to the nonresident in his or her state of residence.
(c) Is a resident of the United States.
OK, I'm covered with all the above. So reading only this far it seems to say that my WA CPL allows me to carry concealed in FL. But then....

(4) This section applies only to nonresident concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenseholders from states that honor Florida concealed weapon or concealed firearm licenses.
WA does NOT honor FLs permit any more due to the veteran exemption to the 21 years old limit. WA had to break reciprocity with FL because WA law does not allow 18 to 21 year olds to carry concealed. It's nothing personal, it's just that the WA Attorney General doesn't get to make the law, and that's what WA law says.

So am I correct in my belief that what (1) gives, (4) takes away, and I may not legally carry concealed in FL with my WA CPL?

I'm coming to FL next month and that isn't enough time to get a FL permit.

randian

WA does NOT honor FLs permit any more due to the veteran exemption to the 21 years old limit. WA had to break reciprocity with FL because WA law does not allow 18 to 21 year olds to carry concealed. It's nothing personal, it's just that the WA Attorney General doesn't get to make the law, and that's what WA law says.
If WA doesn't allow 18-20 year olds to carry the AG could have just said that we won't honor FL permits held by 18-20 year olds but will honor FL permits held by older persons. Instead he went whole hog and canceled reciprocity entirely.
So am I correct in my belief that what (1) gives, (4) takes away, and I may not legally carry concealed in FL with my WA CPL?
Yes you are.

Ironside

So WA (where I live) and FL (where you live) used to have reciprocity. The key phrase is USED to.

Looking over the FL 790.015 language, seems to allow and then disallow me carrying a concealed handgun.

OK, I'm covered with all the above. So reading only this far it seems to say that my WA CPL allows me to carry concealed in FL. But then....

I'm coming to FL next month and that isn't enough time to get a FL permit.

Check here;

http://www.freshfromflorida.com/content/download/7444/118465/ReciprocityList.pdf

It is always up to date.

ak56

Campaign Veteran
If WA doesn't allow 18-20 year olds to carry the AG could have just said that we won't honor FL permits held by 18-20 year olds but will honor FL permits held by older persons. Instead he went whole hog and canceled reciprocity entirely.

Actually, the AG could not have done that. AS much as I am not a fan of our current AG, his hands are tied by state law.

RCW 9.41.073
Concealed pistol license—Reciprocity.

(1)(a) A person licensed to carry a pistol in a state the laws of which recognize and give effect in that state to a concealed pistol license issued under the laws of the state of Washington is authorized to carry a concealed pistol in this state if:
(i) The licensing state does not issue concealed pistol licenses to persons under twenty-one years of age; and

randian

Actually, the AG could not have done that. AS much as I am not a fan of our current AG, his hands are tied by state law.
Ok, I see it. That law needs to be changed to read "the licensed person is not under 21 years of age" rather than referring merely to the "licensing state". Not likely though given recent legal events in WA.

Last edited: