Thread: Does this make me a"Test Case"?

Does this make me a"Test Case"?

I am a member of another Concealed Handgun Forum and thought I would post over here as well:

On our way to our property in Jacksboro, we ran across a downed fence and about 6 horses milling about the two lane highway where the speed limit is 70MPH. My wife looked up Jack County Non-Emergency number and called it in, while I did my best to start getting the horses back behind the fence. While there, another truck arrived, and we found they were the owners, and appreciated the help. Jack County Sherriff's Deputy arrives and we all start "herding" the reluctant horses back into the fence. They had obviously found that the grass was indeed greener on the other side, and wanted to graze more than move. While running back and forth, and a lot of hand waving, we finally managed to get the horses back on their side of the fence, and off the highway. It is then that the Deputy approaches, asks if we called it in, and thanked us. As we were turning to leave, he calls out "Oh, and Sir, you started Open Carrying about 20 minutes ago. If you could go back to Concealed Carry, that would be great." He got in his cruiser and pulled away chuckling as we waved.

No blood in the street, no parentless orphans, no lightning strikes, nada....I was kind of disappointed.

Congrats on meeting one of the officers who has a brain and realized you didn't intentionally fail to conceal.

Regular Member stealthyeliminator's Avatar
    Glad the officer was sensible. Also glad you helped those horses.
    Advocate freedom please

I'm pretty sure there is a clause somewhere that allows you in an emergency to do stuff that is otherwise illegal. Except possibly impersonating a cop by directing traffic.

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodhound13 View Post
    I am a member of another Concealed Handgun Forum and thought I would post over here as well:

--snipped--

As we were turning to leave, he calls out "Oh, and Sir, you started Open Carrying about 20 minutes ago. If you could go back to Concealed Carry, that would be great." He got in his cruiser and pulled away chuckling as we waved.

No blood in the street, no parentless orphans, no lightning strikes, nada....I was kind of disappointed.
    Welcome aboard bloodhound.

Jus' a small point - we are not "another Concealed Handgun Forum"

OCDO is dedicated to normalizing open carry of handguns as we go about our everyday lives.

Yes I am aware of Texas laws regarding OC and of the hard work being done in your great state toward that end.

Wish you the best - enjoy your stay here.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-20-2015 at 09:43 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thank goodness you didn't go crazy and shoot those horses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “Men live without other security than what their own strength and their own invention shall furnish them"
    -Thomas Hobbes 1651

Welcome to OCDO and greetings from sunny, dry Arizona bloodhound13! Hope you stick around and read up a bit on OC, and I invite you to try it out if you ever make it to AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by mustangkiller View Post
    Congrats on meeting one of the officers who has a brain and realized you didn't intentionally fail to conceal.
    ^^This. The officer understood the INTENT of the law (misguided though it may be) as opposed to the actual letter of the law (let's hope it changes for the better real soon).
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

Dude [deputy whispering in your ear], your "hogleg" is showing....
    Either way the episode ended as all would like for those types of episodes to end.

Welcome to OCDO.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare