Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ohio open carry of hand guns?

Ohio open carry of hand guns?

I own my own had gun and was wondering what is the law about having it on you while walking down the street or driving in a car? Please help.

Ohio is an open carry state so you can openly carry your handgun (or long gun for that matter) in most places you can carry concealed with a license - with a few exceptions, most notably in a motor vehicle where you must unload and properly store your firearm if you do not have a concealed handgun license.

Mods, this probably belongs in the Ohio form, if you would be so kind as to move it, thanks.
    Christian, Husband, Father
    NRA Life Member
    NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Pistol & Rifle Instructor

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

How do you delete message

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcjaskiel View Post
    How do you delete message
    No need to delete it - I moved it to the Ohio sub-forum for you

Welcome aboard!
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thank you i am new to this

Thank you i am new to this
    You'll get the hang of it in short order - takes a little time to become familiar with a new site/forum. OCDO is definitely worth the effort though.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

A question for mcjaskiel: Are you 21 years of age or older? That also makes a big difference in laws concerning possession/carry of a handgun in Ohio.

I own my own had gun and was wondering what is the law about having it on you while walking down the street or driving in a car? Please help.
    Carry everywhere you can carry concealed EXCEPT:

On or in any kind of motor vehicle (with the sidearm loaded I mean)
    In any establishment that serves alcohol
    Around any school (1000 yard radius or some silliness like that)

For these instances you'll need a CHL to be legit, open or concealed. Around schools with a CHL you can only pick up or drop off a kid but you can NOT get out of your car for any reason (yeah, I know, goofy).

And of course, if it has a prohibition sign, well, let them fester in their own stupidity and do not enter, the sign has the force of law here in Ohio.

No carry of rifles or shotguns, loaded, in a vehicle whether you have a CHL or not.

Been open carrying in central Ohio for years, it's easy peasy. Dress respectably, don't pay any mind to police and they'll leave you alone (never had a bad encounter with cops yet, no demands to stop and present ID, etc) and be prepared for random strangers to come over and strike up a conversation with you. You become an ambassador for gun rights, whether you wish to be or not, when out in public. It's a role I like, but some people are put off by it as I understand.
    Last edited by GhostOfJefferson; 04-08-2015 at 06:46 AM.
    I'm what Willis was talking about.

seems the ghost is responding to the vapors of a drive by ghost!!

ipse
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Remember always, do not judge someone because they sin differently than you do!

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by GhostOfJefferson View Post
    Around schools with a CHL you can only pick up or drop off a kid but you can NOT get out of your car for any reason (yeah, I know, goofy).
    Do you have a citation that says you can't exit your car?

Quote Originally Posted by pirateguy191 View Post
    Do you have a citation that says you can't exit your car?
    How about this from ORC 2923.122 (D) (4):

(4) This section does not apply to a person who conveys or attempts to convey a handgun into, or possesses a handgun in, a school safety zone if at the time of that conveyance, attempted conveyance, or possession of the handgun all of the following apply:

(a) The person is carrying a valid concealed handgun license.

(b) The person is the driver or passenger in a motor vehicle and is in the school safety zone while immediately in the process of picking up or dropping off a child.

(c) The person is not in violation of section 2923.16 of the Revised Code.
    Read (b) carefully. Note it says "... in a motor vehicle". Once you exit the vehicle you are no longer "in a motor vehicle".

One of the pieces of legislation before the OGA last session would have fixed that, but they didn't act on it.
    NRA Life Member

Anything I post in these forums is my personal opinion formed by my own interpretation of the topic.
    IANAL and anything I say is not intended to be nor should it be taken as legal advice.

I remember a story about a father that picked up his special needs daughter in front of the school. He exited his car in the parking lot and walked to the school where the teacher met him with his daughter. Someone saw a holstered gun and called police. They detained the father and locked the school down. The father wasn't arrested and the attorney's for the school system said he was within the law because he didn't enter the school.

I believe this was in the Columbus area a couple years ago but my GoogleFu is weak this morning.

I remember a story about a father that picked up his special needs daughter in front of the school. He exited his car in the parking lot and walked to the school where the teacher met him with his daughter. Someone saw a holstered gun and called police. They detained the father and locked the school down. The father wasn't arrested and the attorney's for the school system said he was within the law because he didn't enter the school.

I believe this was in the Columbus area a couple years ago but my GoogleFu is weak this morning.
    then the story would fall under the folklore legacy wouldn't it?? kinda like the infamous comments of "Ya know several years ago, I knew, read about, or know a person, who knows someone, whose relative had this or that done to them or they did this or that to someone else (you fill in your perception of events) and nothing happened to the person(s)!!"

the BABE & smoky legends were actually advertising ploys!!

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-12-2015 at 09:15 AM.
    I'm only human; I do what I can; I'm just a man; I do what I can; Don't put the blame on me; Don't put your blame on me ~ Rag'n'Bone Man.

Please do not get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am ~ my attitude depends on who you are and how you act.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by solus View Post
    then the story would fall under the folklore legacy wouldn't it?? kinda like the infamous comments of "Ya know several years ago, I knew, read about, or know a person, who knows someone, whose relative had this or that done to them or they did this or that to someone else (you fill in your perception of events) and nothing happened to the person(s)!!"

the BABE & smoky legends were actually advertising ploys!!

ipse
    Ummmmmm, no. It's a fact.

"A parent brought his gun to a New Albany-Plain elementary school on Monday and, according to police, that’s just fine.

New Albany city officials said six police officers responded to reports of a man with a gun outside the building that houses grades two through five. It turns out the man was a father with a permit to carry a concealed weapon, which he was doing when he got out of his car to pick up his child.

The school immediately went into lockdown, and police swept the building. Officers also confronted the man with the gun and checked with a prosecutor to see whether he had broken any laws. Their conclusion: He didn’t.

“Ohio law allows people with a concealed-weapon permit to come onto school property/school zone with a concealed weapon so long as they are in the process of picking up or dropping off a child, provided that they do not enter a school building,” city officials wrote in a statement."

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stor...ie-for-vp.html

so nice to see cite to authority criteria has been met.

ipse

pirateguy191, that doesn't mean that the law allows it - it means either the LEO didn't know, or chose to give the LAC a pass. To me, the law is pretty clear - and the legislation introduced last session to change that wording would tend to back up that interpretation.
    NRA Life Member

ipse
    Since I'm not that smart, can you explain what your post means?

Originally Posted by solus

ipse
    Since I'm not that smart, can you explain what your post means?
    Previously the story was w/o formal backup substantiation.

The link provided accomplished that = cite to authority.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Previously the story was w/o formal backup substantiation.

The link provided accomplished that = cite to authority.
    I can see that you're "super", but I was questioning solus because he/she was the one that commented on my post. Thanks.

I can see that you're "super", but I was questioning solus because he/she was the one that commented on my post. Thanks.
    certainly pirateguy191, allow me to clarify and quantify my posts:
    1. your first post alluded to something which in my post i nicely stated without the cite it was folk lore, hyperbole, or made up!
    2. your second post provided the appropriate news article substantiating your previous post to which i posted it was nice to see the cite to authority sustaining your original statement about the firearm on school grounds in New Albany.

it is unfortunate the article you provided shows the Dispatch's news reporters failed to understand the police's incorrect interpenetration of Ohio's code as outlined by another member's quoting the complete code. thus adding further confusion to members understandling of the situation.

that was the nice explanation pirate that grape tried so nicely to explain to you, so you could save face. since you failed to take the hint and got, IMHO, snarky, let me lay it out for you to fully understand...

forum rule # (5) CITE TO AUTHORITY: If you state a rule of law, it is incumbent upon you to try to cite, as best you can, to authority. Citing to authority, using links when available,is what makes OCDO so successful. An authority is a published source of law that can back your claim up - statute, ordinance, court case, newspaper article covering a legal issue, etc.

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-12-2015 at 10:27 PM.

Sounds like searching for something to bicker about to me

it is unfortunate the article you provided shows the Dispatch's news reporters failed to understand the police's incorrect interpenetration of Ohio's code as outlined by another member's quoting the complete code. thus adding further confusion to members understandling of the situation...
    I have been proud to state in the past that central Ohio is THE most tolerant urban area of the state (as compared to Cleveland, Toledo, Cincinnati, etc.), and New Albany is a central Ohio municipality.

Yes, the actual state law uses the words "IN a motor vehicle" and forum dwellers such as we have focused on that word "IN". That is what causes us to err on the side of caution when interpreting that to mean we can't leave our vehicle. In the New Albany case, a reasonable (and IMHO, proper) interpretation of the law was used.

Now, it probably didn't hurt that the child was 'special needs' and that the father's handgun was exposed because he was retrieving an umbrella from his car so he could walk his daughter back to the car.

You want to tug some heart strings? Arrest THAT father, I dare you.

------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    I have been proud to state in the past that central Ohio is THE most tolerant urban area of the state (as compared to Cleveland, Toledo, Cincinnati, etc.), and New Albany is a central Ohio municipality.

Yes, the actual state law uses the words "IN a motor vehicle" and forum dwellers such as we have focused on that word "IN". That is what causes us to err on the side of caution when interpreting that to mean we can't leave our vehicle. In the New Albany case, a reasonable (and IMHO, proper) interpretation of the law was used.

Now, it probably didn't hurt that the child was 'special needs' and that the father's handgun was exposed because he was retrieving an umbrella from his car so he could walk his daughter back to the car.

You want to tug some heart strings? Arrest THAT father, I dare you.

MWSY, et al., while i am capable of doing a great many things, just ask me, one skill i truly suck at is the keen ability to be able read minds...

that stated, a quick re-read of the dispatch's article appropriately provided by pirateguy, i discerned quite quickly it fails to mention, checked again~absolutely nada about the child being picked up by their caregiver was a special needs youth nor anything about the day and hour of pick up was inclement requiring an umbrella and that is why the father exposed his firearm on school grounds which caused the nice police men to arrive, detain and 'discuss the situation with the father', and the school to go into lock down.

I, nor do i presume you did either, draft, debate, nor pass the current statute on the books, or those mentioned in the federal code, but i am afraid i missed anywhere in the statute which stated caregivers of special need individuals in inclement weather are allowed an exemption from the statutes or the code.

last time i checked, these heartthrob type of individual(s) are arrested regularly across our nation and the judicial system discerns guilt or innocence.

further...terrorist diversion number one...play like an innocence to gain access...

ipse
    Last edited by solus; 04-21-2015 at 12:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by solus
    ... a quick re-read of the dispatch's article appropriately provided by pirateguy, i discerned quite quickly it fails to mention, checked again~absolutely nada about the child being picked up by their caregiver was a special needs youth nor anything about the day and hour of pick up was inclement requiring an umbrella and that is why the father exposed his firearm on school grounds which caused the nice police men to arrive, detain and 'discuss the situation with the father', and the school to go into lock down...
    No worries.

A member of Ohioans for Concealed Carry contacted the parent involved and asked him to fill us in on what happened.

That thread is on the OFCC forum here: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=78036

The parent joins the thread on page 2.

Quote Originally Posted by solus
    I, nor do i presume you did either, draft, debate, nor pass the current statute on the books, or those mentioned in the federal code, but i am afraid i missed anywhere in the statute which stated caregivers of special need individuals in inclement weather are allowed an exemption from the statutes or the code.

last time i checked, these heartthrob type of individual(s) are arrested regularly across our nation and the judicial system discerns guilt or innocence.
    "Allowed an exemption"? No, of course not.

Elected politicians putting themselves in the crosshairs of emotionally charged parents who vote? Yep. THAT's what would have happened.

The cities and villages surrounding Cleveland are typically just as anti-gun as Cleveland itself, but that has proved not to be the case for the cities surrounding Columbus.
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    What does a caring, sensitive person feel when they are forced to use a handgun to stop a threat?

Recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by MyWifeSaidYes View Post
    ...The cities and villages surrounding Cleveland are typically just as anti-gun as Cleveland itself, but that has proved not to be the case for the cities surrounding Columbus.
    Maybe there needs to be an Open Carry/Education Walk at Cleveland State University? Hmmm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast