• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ohio open carry of hand guns?

MyWifeSaidYes

it is unfortunate the article you provided shows the Dispatch's news reporters failed to understand the police's incorrect interpenetration of Ohio's code as outlined by another member's quoting the complete code. thus adding further confusion to members understandling of the situation...

I have been proud to state in the past that central Ohio is THE most tolerant urban area of the state (as compared to Cleveland, Toledo, Cincinnati, etc.), and New Albany is a central Ohio municipality.

Yes, the actual state law uses the words "IN a motor vehicle" and forum dwellers such as we have focused on that word "IN". That is what causes us to err on the side of caution when interpreting that to mean we can't leave our vehicle. In the New Albany case, a reasonable (and IMHO, proper) interpretation of the law was used.

Now, it probably didn't hurt that the child was 'special needs' and that the father's handgun was exposed because he was retrieving an umbrella from his car so he could walk his daughter back to the car.

You want to tug some heart strings? Arrest THAT father, I dare you.

:rolleyes:

solus

I have been proud to state in the past that central Ohio is THE most tolerant urban area of the state (as compared to Cleveland, Toledo, Cincinnati, etc.), and New Albany is a central Ohio municipality.

Yes, the actual state law uses the words "IN a motor vehicle" and forum dwellers such as we have focused on that word "IN". That is what causes us to err on the side of caution when interpreting that to mean we can't leave our vehicle. In the New Albany case, a reasonable (and IMHO, proper) interpretation of the law was used.

Now, it probably didn't hurt that the child was 'special needs' and that the father's handgun was exposed because he was retrieving an umbrella from his car so he could walk his daughter back to the car.

You want to tug some heart strings? Arrest THAT father, I dare you.

:rolleyes:

MWSY, et al., while i am capable of doing a great many things, just ask me, one skill i truly suck at is the keen ability to be able read minds...

that stated, a quick re-read of the dispatch's article appropriately provided by pirateguy, i discerned quite quickly it fails to mention, checked again~absolutely nada about the child being picked up by their caregiver was a special needs youth nor anything about the day and hour of pick up was inclement requiring an umbrella and that is why the father exposed his firearm on school grounds which caused the nice police men to arrive, detain and 'discuss the situation with the father', and the school to go into lock down.

I, nor do i presume you did either, draft, debate, nor pass the current statute on the books, or those mentioned in the federal code, but i am afraid i missed anywhere in the statute which stated caregivers of special need individuals in inclement weather are allowed an exemption from the statutes or the code.

last time i checked, these heartthrob type of individual(s) are arrested regularly across our nation and the judicial system discerns guilt or innocence.

further...terrorist diversion number one...play like an innocence to gain access...

ipse

Last edited:

MyWifeSaidYes

solus said:
... a quick re-read of the dispatch's article appropriately provided by pirateguy, i discerned quite quickly it fails to mention, checked again~absolutely nada about the child being picked up by their caregiver was a special needs youth nor anything about the day and hour of pick up was inclement requiring an umbrella and that is why the father exposed his firearm on school grounds which caused the nice police men to arrive, detain and 'discuss the situation with the father', and the school to go into lock down...

No worries.

A member of Ohioans for Concealed Carry contacted the parent involved and asked him to fill us in on what happened.

That thread is on the OFCC forum here: http://ohioccwforums.org/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=78036

The parent joins the thread on page 2.

solus said:
I, nor do i presume you did either, draft, debate, nor pass the current statute on the books, or those mentioned in the federal code, but i am afraid i missed anywhere in the statute which stated caregivers of special need individuals in inclement weather are allowed an exemption from the statutes or the code.

last time i checked, these heartthrob type of individual(s) are arrested regularly across our nation and the judicial system discerns guilt or innocence.

"Allowed an exemption"? No, of course not.

Elected politicians putting themselves in the crosshairs of emotionally charged parents who vote? Yep. THAT's what would have happened.

The cities and villages surrounding Cleveland are typically just as anti-gun as Cleveland itself, but that has proved not to be the case for the cities surrounding Columbus.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
...The cities and villages surrounding Cleveland are typically just as anti-gun as Cleveland itself, but that has proved not to be the case for the cities surrounding Columbus.
Maybe there needs to be an Open Carry/Education Walk at Cleveland State University? Hmmm...:shocker: