Thread: Traveling from Washington state to Oregon

Traveling from Washington state to Oregon

I live in WA and am planning to travel to Klamath Falls to see my cousin i know oregon does not honor WA's permit so what is the legal way for me to bring my handgun with me?

Banned
    OC, loaded on your hip.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post
    OC, loaded on your hip.
    Even in the car?

Quote Originally Posted by brad98801 View Post
    Even in the car?
    Yes, but not loaded in Portland as you pass through.

Banned
    Get east to 97 before you cross the Columbia and you are good all the way to K Falls. That way you avoid the Constitutionally IGNORANT municipalities that have reverted to Communism/Statism.

I've decided i'm most likely gonna be bringing a few of my guns with me to shoot whats Oregons laws about transporting in a safe ie do the mags have to be unloaded ammo stored seperatly or?

Quote Originally Posted by brad98801 View Post
    I've decided i'm most likely gonna be bringing a few of my guns with me to shoot whats Oregons laws about transporting in a safe ie do the mags have to be unloaded ammo stored seperatly or?
    http://handgunlaw.us/
    I carry a gun because I can't carry a cop.

Open carry in vehicles is legal in most of Oregon, but Oregon allows local municipalities to determine if a CCP is required. Portland and I believe one other area have decided to enact legislation to change the definition of loaded to INCLUDE rounds in a magazine (an obvious contradiction to the states constitution, and thus have no legal right to do so) but until this is ruled on in a court, I would be extra careful in these areas. I generally avoid them when traveling through Oregon.
    Last edited by MattinWA; 03-02-2015 at 06:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MattinWA View Post
    Open carry in vehicles is legal in most of Oregon, but Oregon allows local municipalities to determine if a CCP is required. Portland and I believe one other area have decided to enact legislation to change the definition of loaded to INCLUDE rounds in a magazine (an obvious contradiction to the states constitution, and thus have no legal right to do so) but until this is ruled on in a court, I would be extra careful in these areas. I generally avoid them when traveling through Oregon.
    I live here and I avoid them whenever possible!
    Han shot first.

I've driven through Oregon several times while armed. As long as you avoid Portland metro, the general rule of thumb is you can carry "in plain sight or not readily accessible/available." If you want to carry loaded, it needs to be in plain view. To make this easier on myself and avoid any possible ambiguity, I mounted or placed the gun on the center console. Not readily accessible means either not in the passenger compartment of the vehicle OR in a locked container (including a glove compartment or console) without the key inserted into that container.

The law says that you cannot carry concealed and readily accessible in a vehicle (ORS 166.250 (1(b)))