• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Traveling from Washington state to Oregon

brad98801

I live in WA and am planning to travel to Klamath Falls to see my cousin i know oregon does not honor WA's permit so what is the legal way for me to bring my handgun with me?

Jeff. State

Banned
Get east to 97 before you cross the Columbia and you are good all the way to K Falls. That way you avoid the Constitutionally IGNORANT municipalities that have reverted to Communism/Statism.

brad98801

I've decided i'm most likely gonna be bringing a few of my guns with me to shoot whats Oregons laws about transporting in a safe ie do the mags have to be unloaded ammo stored seperatly or?

MattinWA

Open carry in vehicles is legal in most of Oregon, but Oregon allows local municipalities to determine if a CCP is required. Portland and I believe one other area have decided to enact legislation to change the definition of loaded to INCLUDE rounds in a magazine (an obvious contradiction to the states constitution, and thus have no legal right to do so) but until this is ruled on in a court, I would be extra careful in these areas. I generally avoid them when traveling through Oregon.

Last edited:

waskel

Open carry in vehicles is legal in most of Oregon, but Oregon allows local municipalities to determine if a CCP is required. Portland and I believe one other area have decided to enact legislation to change the definition of loaded to INCLUDE rounds in a magazine (an obvious contradiction to the states constitution, and thus have no legal right to do so) but until this is ruled on in a court, I would be extra careful in these areas. I generally avoid them when traveling through Oregon.

I live here and I avoid them whenever possible!

acmariner99

I've driven through Oregon several times while armed. As long as you avoid Portland metro, the general rule of thumb is you can carry "in plain sight or not readily accessible/available." If you want to carry loaded, it needs to be in plain view. To make this easier on myself and avoid any possible ambiguity, I mounted or placed the gun on the center console. Not readily accessible means either not in the passenger compartment of the vehicle OR in a locked container (including a glove compartment or console) without the key inserted into that container.

The law says that you cannot carry concealed and readily accessible in a vehicle (ORS 166.250 (1(b)))