Thread: Video proof isn't always what it seems, ex-cop's acquittal shows MJS VIDEO

Video proof isn't always what it seems, ex-cop's acquittal shows MJS VIDEO

Interrogation room video seems to show a Milwaukee police detective repeatedly beating and kicking an unresisting suspect who is handcuffed to the wall. Prosecutors thought it so clearly showed an abuse of authority they charged Rodolfo Gomez Jr. with two felonies, and the chief of police fired the veteran detective over the August 2013 incident. But a jury's decision last week to acquit Gomez, 48, showed again that "what you see is what you get" does not always apply to video evidence, no matter how incontrovertible it may look.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/v...292979951.html
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

As seen before things are not always as the seem.
    Personal Defensive Solutions professional personal firearms, edge weapons and hands on defensive training and tactics pdsolutions@hotmail.com

Any and all spelling errors are just to give the spelling Nazis something to do

Quote Originally Posted by Firearms Iinstuctor View Post
    As seen before things are not always as the seem.
    Explain? Give your narrative of the video?
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

LOL for infinity.

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Interrogation room video seems to show a Milwaukee police detective repeatedly beating and kicking an unresisting suspect who is handcuffed to the wall. Prosecutors thought it so clearly showed an abuse of authority they charged Rodolfo Gomez Jr. with two felonies, and the chief of police fired the veteran detective over the August 2013 incident. But a jury's decision last week to acquit Gomez, 48, showed again that "what you see is what you get" does not always apply to video evidence, no matter how incontrovertible it may look.
    It appears that what is seen in slow motion may reveal something different than what appears at first glance at regular speed. "We were able to convince the last juror, reluctantly, that still frame by still frame [the cop's] last three closed fist windups became open palm motions to control [the suspects's] arms, and his final leg strike misses the mark"

Either that, or the defense team simply did a way better job than did the prosecution team.

Considering a jury in the same city did convict an officer on similar charges last year (according to the article), I'm lead to believe that the courts are not grossly biased against those in police custody. But this line from the article was interesting to me, "[A] juror in the Gomez case, said he also found the testimony of other police officers working with Gomez the night of the incident last August less than convincing. He said their answers seemed too similar, as if they were covering for their own possible shortcomings that night."

Or maybe the jury just flat got things wrong. It happens but I'm loathe to second guess an acquittal when I wasn't on the jury.

It is better for 10 guilty men to go free than for one innocent man to be wrongly convicted, I thought we all believed.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

Or as many innocent men tortured as much as possible...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I don't know what all the fuss is about. The badged thug is obviously being a courteous host and trying to entertain the handcuffed man by reenacting the fight scene from the last action movie he saw.
    /heavy sarcasm

And yet, if one of the un-badged citizenry were to do the same, it would be a 5-minute deliberation.
    I carry to defend my loved ones; Desensitizing and educating are secondary & tertiary reasons. Anything else is unintended.

“Life, liberty, and property do not exist because men have made laws. On the contrary, it was the fact that life, liberty, and property existed beforehand that caused men to make laws in the first place.” - Frederic Bastiat

"When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." - Edmund Burke

State Researcher
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty Young Man View Post
    And yet, if one of the un-badged citizenry were to do the same, it would be a 5-minute deliberation.
    The linked article reports that last year a cop was convicted in the same city on similar charges despite the same defense tactic being used.

Did the prosecution take a dive?

Did the jury simply get it wrong?

Or is it possible the jury made a decision based on way more evidence than we've seen here to discuss?

I am loathe to second guess a jury decision, especially to acquit. Perhaps the civil suit against the cop will reveal something more.

Charles
    All experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. Thank heaven we do not permit a few to impose anarchy.

"With Anarchy as an aim and as a means, Communism becomes possible."
    --Marxist.org

"Communism and Anarchy [are], a necessary complement to one another. "
    --PETER KROPOTKIN, "Anarchism: its philosophy and ideal." 1898.

I am at a loss as to why a restrained citizen need further restraining.
    Gomez testified he was so focused on his own safety, he forgot he had taken the very unusual step of handcuffing Love to the wall.
    Why would you handcuff a citizen to a wall? For his own safety.

Did the jury get it wrong? Why yes, yes they did.
    Witnesses for the state had testified Gomez could have asked for assistance at any time.

He also said the jury was persuaded by the facts that Love was much younger and heavier than Gomez, had a history of bad conduct with law enforcement and should have known to submit immediately to Gomez's orders. They also felt that since Love suffered no serious injury, Gomez wasn't guilty of abusing a prisoner.

Gomez has appealed his firing and has applied for duty disability retirement.

Love, 27, never did confess to Gomez but was charged with killing his son. He was found not guilty and has filed a civil rights suit against Gomez.
    Again, our fellow citizen's see a citizen deserving of his beatdown. Yes, the jury got it wrong. The restrained, handcuffed to the wall, was completely ignored. What threat is a restrained to a man who can simply back away out of reach. There can be no other conclusion reached. The cop did not take too kindly to his authority being dissed.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    I am at a loss as to why a restrained citizen need further restraining.Why would you handcuff a citizen to a wall? For his own safety.

Did the jury get it wrong? Why yes, yes they did.Again, our fellow citizen's see a citizen deserving of his beatdown. Yes, the jury got it wrong. The restrained, handcuffed to the wall, was completely ignored. What threat is a restrained to a man who can simply back away out of reach. There can be no other conclusion reached. The cop did not take too kindly to his authority being dissed.
    "Sir, this is the Government speaking. We firmly insist that you replace your wool spectacles and stop thinking for yourself. Someone will be along shortly to de-educate you according to Federal Standards. Your compliance is appreciated but not necessary in this matter. Thank you for your understanding, and if you feel dissatisfied with this arrangement, the NSA has already made a note of it."

Quote Originally Posted by PistolPackingMomma View Post
    "Sir, this is the Government speaking. We firmly insist that you replace your wool spectacles and stop thinking for yourself. Someone will be along shortly to de-educate you according to Federal Standards. Your compliance is appreciated but not necessary in this matter. Thank you for your understanding, and if you feel dissatisfied with this arrangement, the NSA has already made a note of it."
    Now now, the government only has what it thinks is best for you in their mind...please do not forget that...or else.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Now now, the government only has what it thinks is best for you in their mind...please do not forget that...or else.
    Reminds me of the story of the Texas State Trooper.
    A dude from CA is driving through west TX and approaches a stop sign at a cross road. The dude looks both ways and does not see any traffice rolls safely through the crossroad.

Well, he gets pulled over by a Texas State Trooper.

Trooper: Sir, ya know why I pulled ya over?
    Dude: I guess it was for rolling that stop sign.
    Trooper: Yep...
    Dude: Well officer, I looked and saw no danger, so I kept on going.
    Trooper: [Grabs the dude by the head and starts whacking him in the head with his night stick]You want me to stop...or do you want me to slow down?
    Amazing the contortions some will subject themselves to in when faced with the obvious.

Lemme see if I got this straight.
    Prosecutors thought it so clearly showed an abuse of authority they charged Rodolfo Gomez Jr. with two felonies, and the chief of police fired the veteran detective over the August 2013 incident.
    These two mental midgets got it so wrong that they never thought the accused would get acquitted. They obviously are anti-cop...big time.

Amazing parallel to the UK cop drama 'DCI Banks' S1E1 'Aftermath' (2010) where a female cop handcuffs a machete wielding thug to a metal bar in a basement and beats him with her baton. She didn't get off, was indicted (on the show - fictitious character).
    Last edited by Maverick9; 02-23-2015 at 08:16 PM.