• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Elite Marines perfer Glock 9mms to 1911 45s

Firearms Iinstuctor

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/3259714/posts

allow MARSOC Operators to choose Glock's over 1911's

Military.com ^ | February 19, 2015 | Matthew Cox

Posted on ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2015‎ ‎3‎:‎58‎:‎01‎ ‎PM by xsrdx

The Marine Corps has authorized MARSOC operators to carry Glock pistols, since most of the elite outfit's members prefer the popular 9mm over the custom .45 pistols the service bought them in 2012.

The Corps issued a Feb. 2 Marine Administrative Message, or MARADMIN, that green-lighted Marine Corps Forces Special Operations Command, or MARSOC, units to use the Glock 19, a proven design used by many units in U.S. Special Operations Command.

The reliable, easy-to-maintain 9mm features a polymer frame and a 17-round magazine.

The Marine Corps just completed an exhaustive search for a new MARSOC pistol in 2012. The service awarded a $22.5 million contract to Colt Defense LLC., for up to 10,000 Close Quarter Battle Pistols.

The custom, 1911 design replaced the fleet of worn-out MARSOC M45 pistols. It features a rail for mounting lights, a custom trigger, a manual safety, improved ergonomics and glowing Tritium sights for low-light conditions.

As nice as the new .45s are, MARSOC troops prefer to carry Glock 19s instead, sources said.
59714/posts

Last edited:

SovereigntyOrDeath

Interesting. The link didn't work, so I didn't read the article.

I am wondering if it is a weight issue or the round count? Both?

I carry a HK45 and it is heavy and only 10 rounds.

The HK45 was designed to meet requirements set forth in the U.S. Military Joint Combat Pistol program which had the purpose of arming the U.S. Military with a .45 ACP semi-automatic pistol instead of the 9mm M9 pistol. The Joint Combat Pistol program was suspended indefinitely in 2006, and the M9 pistol remains the standard issue handgun for the U.S. Military. Even though the Joint Combat Pistol program had ended, HK decided to make the HK45 available on the commercial market as well as to law enforcement and military groups. Heckler & Koch, along with Larry Vickers, an ex-Delta Force operator, and Ken Hackathorn led the development of the HK45 to meet Joint Combat Pistol program requirements which was canceled due to the price of re-arming the entire military.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_HK45

I wonder if HK submitted the HK45 to the Marines?

Personally, I love the gun.

HPmatt

so how long till the 'discontinued' 1911s hit the resale market?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WalkingWolf

I would like to see these studies, all soldiers do not have the same opinions about weapons.

"As nice as the new .45s are, MARSOC troops prefer to carry Glock 19s instead, sources said.
59714/posts "

Was the above part of the study, or was this something you added?

Last edited:

Firearms Iinstuctor

I would like to see these studies, all soldiers do not have the same opinions about weapons.

"As nice as the new .45s are, MARSOC troops prefer to carry Glock 19s instead, sources said.
59714/posts "

Was the above part of the study, or was this something you added?

I added nothing links should work now

soldiers and most hand gunners don't have the same opinion

Last edited:

WalkingWolf

I added nothing links should work now

soldiers and most hand gunners don't have the same opinion

You are basing this on a BLOG?!

The military contracts a wide variety of equipment, there is nothing in what you provided to indicate this was some overwhelming demand by the troops.

Do you have some military source, memo, statement from command, that all marines prefer the Glock to the 1911?

Last edited:

Rusty Young Man

You are basing this on a BLOG?!

The military contracts a wide variety of equipment, there is nothing in what you provided to indicate this was some overwhelming demand by the troops.

Do you have some military source, memo, statement from command, that all marines prefer the Glock to the 1911?

My thoughts exactly. If anything, the contract for 1911-style (sorry, I have a thing against firing-pin blocks being added on to JMB's design) pistols seemed to indicate that 1911s were a solid contender for the Marines' issue sidearm.:confused:

Last edited:

Kopis

Oh dear... another glock vs 1911 discussion :lol: Nothing shoots better than a 1911, 1911s dont hold enough rounds IMO. I have both, love both for different situations.

With the new technology in bullets like the 9m 147gr P+ hornady's, the .40 and .45 lose a lot of ground in the round effectiveness discussion leading me to lean towards firearms that have a larger capacity. But each firearm is great in its own right for sure. Let people choose whatever they feel is right for them.

Aknazer

I can see some troops preferring the Glock if it is as easy to maintain as that snip makes it out to be compared to what I've heard about the 1911. But I also remember when the switch to the 1911 was going down and how the majority of those that got to use the .45 preferred it over the 9mm.

mobiushky

Seems like the biggest mistake we all make in these arguments, or I mean debates, is to assume the word "switch" into the scenario. The way I read it, MARSOC isn't "switching" to Glocks, they are simply adding the option to the list for the Marine to choose from. 2-3 years ago they didn't "switch" to the M45 (1911) they just added it as an option. To me this is a non-story.

In a Marine Corps first, the service recently added a Glock pistol to its list of authorized individual weapons, optics and modular attachments.

http://www.marinecorpstimes.com/sto...stols-approved-for-marsoc-operators/23548847/

Kopis

Good point. I guess it's a pro and con to give them choices since they cant swap mags/ammo in an emergency.

mobiushky

Good point. I guess it's a pro and con to give them choices since they cant swap mags/ammo in an emergency.

Maybe not internally, but many of the Nato forces are using Glocks as their standard issue. So it may be more theater based than individual based. Case in point is the instance noted in the article that says they deemed it best practice to have instructors issued Glocks since they were training Iraqi soldiers to shoot them. That kind of thing.

Custodian

Oh dear... another glock vs 1911 discussion :lol: Nothing shoots better than a 1911, 1911s dont hold enough rounds IMO. I have both, love both for different situations.

With the new technology in bullets like the 9m 147gr P+ hornady's, the .40 and .45 lose a lot of ground in the round effectiveness discussion leading me to lean towards firearms that have a larger capacity. But each firearm is great in its own right for sure. Let people choose whatever they feel is right for them.

Not even a Hi-Power?