Thread: Powell Tribune Editorial Board, Concealed carry bill would serve opposite of its stat

Powell Tribune Editorial Board, Concealed carry bill would serve opposite of its stat

Concealed carry bill would serve opposite of its stated purpose

We agree with Park County School District No. 1 Superintendent Kevin Mitchell and Northwest College President Stefani Hicswa: Guns do not belong on school and college grounds or in classrooms.

That’s why we oppose House Bill 114, the Wyoming Repeal Gun Free Zones Act. The Wyoming House passed it on a 42-17 vote on Feb. 2; it is now in the hands of a Senate committee.
    [ ... ]
    They quote the Second Amendment — a part of it, anyway — to bolster their claim. We feel a more complete look at the amendment, which includes the term “well-regulated,” indicates what the Founding Fathers were thinking when they approved those first 10 amendments to the Constitution.

The members of our editorial board support gun rights. Most of us are gun owners and hunters who grew up believing that Americans can own and use guns in a safe, responsible manner.

At the same time, we feel schools, where our children and young people are gathered to learn about those rights and responsibilities, must be safe places. Introducing more guns into those settings does not do that.

http://www.powelltribune.com/opinion...stated-purpose
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

I'm tired of guessing why you post stuff like that, so I'm going to ask you straight out -

What do you want/expect me to do in reaction?

Or do you just like doing drive-by posts?

stay safe.
    "He'll regret it to his dying day....if ever he lives that long."----The Quiet Man

Because stupidity isn't a race, and everybody can win.

"No matter how much contempt you have for the media in all this, you don't have enough"
    ----Allahpundit

Agree, But!

Quote Originally Posted by skidmark View Post
    I'm tired of guessing why you post stuff like that, so I'm going to ask you straight out -

What do you want/expect me to do in reaction?

Or do you just like doing drive-by posts?

stay safe.
    My initial response would be to agree with Skidmark 100%, but upon reflection, I am only going to agree with him 99%. That's right, 99%. If a post deserves comment, I will. If it doesn't, I won't. Before submitting this reply, though, I am revising my agreement with Skidmarkto 99.5%

I found the article useful and it did touch on open carry slightly (see the comments section).

I didn't agree with the article at all. The whole point of the bill is that "gun free zones" do not make anyone safer. I believe the opposite is true. I also disagree with the notion that leaving out the "well-regulated part" is somehow convenient or done with malice. "a well regulated militia" has nothing to do with "government regulation" so there is nothing to debate by not mentioning it.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCord View Post
    I didn't agree with the article at all. The whole point of the bill is that "gun free zones" do not make anyone safer. I believe the opposite is true. I also disagree with the notion that leaving out the "well-regulated part" is somehow convenient or done with malice. "a well regulated militia" has nothing to do with "government regulation" so there is nothing to debate by not mentioning it.
    Welcome to OCDO
    I am responsible for my writing, not your understanding of it.

Quote Originally Posted by MetalCord View Post
    It just points out the total ignorance of those in the media that think they are the "intellectual elite".

And welcome to the board.
    Last edited by F350; 03-03-2015 at 05:47 PM.

Does Kevin Mitchell know that kids likely go home to where guns are, visit other folks' homes where guns might be, even encounter folks on the street who might be packing, and yet those kids continue to attend his kill zones.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare