• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Moving to TN with out of state permit, can it be transferred?

Kopis

I thought i saw a thread awhile back where TN won't transfer permits anymore and they make you retake the class and paperwork again? Does anyone have a cite on this? My friend just moved here from boston (he had his MA permit) but they let him transfer it over and gave him one on the spot.

I finally got my house sold in AR and am getting settled in nashville. Definitely dreading having to go through it all again.

Ken56

Sorry to tell you but yes, you have to go through it all again. When I moved to TN I had my MI. CPL and it amounted to zero. I hope you can afford the fees here. I paid $60 for my class and 105.00 for the permit. Gotta pay to play.

Fallguy

Yeah at one time TN had different requirements for each state to be able to transfer but not not anymore. See 4

http://www.tn.gov/safety/handgun/reciprocity.shtml

1. Tennessee now recognizes a facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit, or a license issued by another state according to its terms, and will, therefore, authorize the holder of such out-of-state permit or license to carry a handgun only in the state of Tennessee.

2.The person must be in possession of the permit or license at all times such person carries a handgun in Tennessee.

3.Tennessee will enter into written reciprocity agreements with other states that require the execution of such agreements.

4.If a person with a handgun permit from another state decides to become a resident of Tennessee, such person must obtain a Tennessee handgun permit within six (6) months of establishing residency in Tennessee.
a. All applicants, regardless of permits issued by another state will be processed as originals. The applicant must be twenty-one (21), take a DOS approved handgun safety course, complete the Tennessee Handgun Carry Permit application, provide proof of U.S. Citizenship or Lawful Permanent Residency, pay one hundred and fifteen dollar ($115.00) fee, and be fingerprinted.
b. Licensing requirements are not included in the reciprocity agreements between states. The mutual recognition of handgun possession privileges between states has not changed and is listed on this website.
c. A facially valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit or license issued by another state shall be valid in this state according to its terms and shall be treated as if it is a handgun permit issued by this state; provided, however, the provisions of this subsection (r) shall not be construed to authorize the holder of any out-of-state permit or license to carry, in this state, any firearm or weapon other than a handgun.

Kopis

Sorry to tell you but yes, you have to go through it all again. When I moved to TN I had my MI. CPL and it amounted to zero. I hope you can afford the fees here. I paid $60 for my class and 105.00 for the permit. Gotta pay to play.

yes, that's what i figured. I dont know how my friend got his transferred. Maybe they were so shocked he was from boston AND loved guns they just welcomed him into the fold.

It's interesting because i used to be a fan of permitting but now i see how much it restricts (low income) people who often need protection the most. It's not a big deal for me to take time off work and pay for a course but it sure would be if i was earning minimum wage. When you said "gotta pay to play" i thought, you have to pay to protect yourself?

travr6

I just kept my license from the other state for the first 6 months I lived there. Had to pay up and go through the course again eventually though

Kopis

the TN drivers license office said i had to surrender my DL so i dont know how i can keep my AR CCW permit and a TN DL. Basically im going to be out of a carry permit for a few months it looks like.

Fallguy

Your AR permit is good for up to 6 months after you establish residency in TN. As long as you're still within that time frame no reason having a TN DL should make a difference. Just may have to explain a bit if your checked.

Ken56

You should be able to find a class that is done on a weekend, unless you work weekends too then that is a problem. I took my class thru the local PD and boy, what a wing nut that taught it. He swept the class several times with the muzzle of all the weapons he had out and just HAD to show us the Dept. fully automatic m-16 all while saying WE could not own one. He outwardly said he HATED open carry although its legal here in TN. with your permit. I have never had an issue as yet OCing here. There seems to be no ideal state for carrying firearms in as all seem to have some sort of restrictions that go against the 2nd Amendment.