• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

SB 17 - Open Carry Permit bill - Off Calendar

stealthyeliminator

There have been talks that a suit may be filed if constitutional carry does not pass but if it's to be successful I think it would need to be a highly calculated move with ducks in rows before hand. There are also other plans made that I can't really discuss here due to rules in place. Let's just say there is passion in the movement and the movement isn't going to dissipate just by being thrown a bone.

solus

if mem serves, the folks OC'g long guns making public appearances reaching national headlines did so as a methodology to sway the texas legislature...opps that was an abysmal failure in both a publicity stunts as well as in reaching texas citizen's OC goals. Now those who supported those antics are satisfied with a permission slip being dangled in front of their noses granted to them by their elected officials. advocates will capitulate with the bone given them and folk like stealth who steadfastly push will be frustrated with the outcome.

yes grape, you are correct, however, they needed viable leadership from the git-go of this campaign several years ago and hindsight being a luxury, the LG crowd were not the ones i would have chosen. I would liken their success of their cause at this point to Ferguson citizens pushing for a person of colour being made police chief, while not impossible, certainly not obtainable. truly you believe the texas legislature ruling to change their permission slips ever changing after being made into a statute?

kinda like the NM concealed permit...it is issued by caliber of a firearm. you wish to change change caliber you must re-qualify with that caliber handgun and get the permit reissued. when passed in 2003, concealed advocates stated...oh our legislature will surely change that provision of the statute at our insistence and pushing...yepper, like that ever happened. btw, carrying concealed in NM prior to 2003 was a misdemeanor offense by statute but the outsiders pushed to have a permission slip...now it is a profit center for the state...

best of luck but i agree with another poster in this thread...there will be another state shortly added to the list of states which can not OC...

ipse

Last edited:

Ian

Lone Star Veteran
43 posts and still no answer to my original question but a lot of discussion completely unrelated to the topic of the post. :banghead:

I feel like I answered your question in post #9 as close as anyone is going to get considering how confusing the Senate's wording on their procedures for the intent calendar are:

Ian said:
Alright, so I found a random bill from last session, take a look.

http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/BillLookup/history.aspx?LegSess=83R&Bill=SB567

You'll notice it's got the same line that we are seeing in SB17 and it passed.

Whether or not its normal, I couldn't tell you, but the bill isn't dead.

Last edited:

solus

no stealth that is your normal response...'i'm not worried about it personally'.

enjoy your privilege card...maybe!!

ipse

jordanmills

Constitution, period! Anything short of Constitutional Carry is simply Unconstitutional COMPROMISE.

This "law" may entice many more to REGISTER themselves to OC.

Again this aint no stinking victory, it's simply altering the CC PERMISSION SLIP to allow CCrs to OC as well.

Somebody dig out one of those Pace salsa commercials. "New York City!?!?!" Texas may as be NYC with this kind of GOVERNMENT INFRINGEMENT.

You're mostly right. But it's also a step in the right direction. It would be foolish to pass on incremental progress because it isn't a complete restoration.

jordanmills

The Texas Constitution empowers the Legislature to regulate the wearing of arms. The Texas Concealed Handgun License regulates the wearing of a handgun.

Therefore the requirement for a license to carry a handgun IS CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY in Texas.....at least until such time as the Texas Constitution is amended to remove this provision for regulation of the wearing of arms.

First part, no. The constitution allows the legislature to regulate the wearing of arms with a view to prevent crime, not in general. The CHL has little to do with preventing crime, just like the general prohibition on carrying a handgun. Both laws are unconstitutional. Your woefully incomplete reading of the constitution leads you to some wildly inaccurate conclusions.

SovereigntyOrDeath

You're mostly right. But it's also a step in the right direction. It would be foolish to pass on incremental progress because it isn't a complete restoration.

So being partially enslaved is better than living completely free in your opinion.

Great. That is the attitude that got us into this mess in the first place.

Ever heard the parable of the frog getting boiled to death incrementally?

SteveInCO

So being partially enslaved is better than living completely free in your opinion.

Great. That is the attitude that got us into this mess in the first place.

Ever heard the parable of the frog getting boiled to death incrementally?

Being less enslaved (via the proposed law) is better than being more enslaved (under current law). And those are the two options on the table today. There isn't a "completely free" option on the table, much as you might like to pretend otherwise.

You DO realize that there is NO OC of a handgun in Texas now, and this proposal would provide for SOME OC of a handgun, right? That sounds to me like a reversal of the frog boiling process.

So take it, and come back later and demand more. You will have moved the status quo closer to what you want, and the next gain will be easier.

Refusing to take it because it isn't perfect will simply leave you more enslaved, still, and having to fight this battle again next time.

Jeff. State

Banned
Do the legislators know the amount of long gun OC will probably continue by those who refuse to REGISTER... I mean get a permission slip to OC a handgun?

Last edited:

Jeff. State

Banned
Your registered just by being on this forum.

Is that all you've got? Are you talking about registered with the Government?

If what you say is the case, it further re-enforces my point that this nation is a shell of faux freedom covering up a prison cell.

Last edited:

solus

stealth, et al., please review your rhetoric when the OC LG fiasco was enveloping the Texas, as well as the national arena, and i seem to remember you stealth steadfastly stating the state was better for the publicity, despite the negative publicity across the country, and the lonestar legislature would pass OC unconditionally in the fall/winter.

so now your rhetoric being spewed is you seem to be satisfied with a conditional OC capability specifically tied to changing the state's CC provision and the lonestar citizens must now get a CC privilege card or possibly change their current privilege card to OC. the other interesting rhetoric talks about...

Texas citizens will be appreciative of the ability to OC with their privilege card and in the future we will work towards constitutional OC w/o a privilege card.

not sure where your confusion factor arose when i referenced the situation about NM's initial CC provisions regarding issuing the CC card based on caliber. additionally, NM advocates stated after these provisions passed the NM legislature they would press to change the caliber provisions...that was 2003 and 12 years later, no changes to the caliber provisions have been accomplished. the analogy raised is if Texas' citizens believe they can change the OC privilege provision to a constitutional OC will discover it is like trying to find the end of the rainbow.

forgive the next comment, but gutshot WTF is your problem, this time, for goodness sakes...your inane comment out of the blue is truly beyond my comprehension on why you even jumped into this fracas. please do me a favor, in the future if you believe you are slighted by me, as you have felt in the past, please feel free to jump in and engage with your style of personal character assassination directed towards me to your little heart's content. otherwise, stand on the sidelines and look pleasant. thanks...

ipse

Last edited:

solus

Thank you for the instruction, but I think I will continue to do as I please, with or without your approval.

thanks for biting as shall i mate...and as you stated: 'w/or w/o your approval!!!

btw, would you like assistance getting the hook out???

ipse

Last edited:

Thundar

Be careful with what satisfies you - Look at Philly

Open carry is legal and without license in PA, except in Philly. Police in Philly use the need for a license to open carry there as an excuse to harass badger and even falsely charge open carriers. They have arrested open carriers, accusing them of being private security guards without a private security guard pistol license.

Here are some You Tube videos for Philly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agWde2tpfx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agWde2tpfx4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1YMgdphmwA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OBjONc5Jx4

Is this what you want for Texas? Do you think the police departments of Houston, San Antonio or Austin will act any better than the Philly PD when it comes to open carriers?

Live Free or Die,
Thundar