• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Keeping your voice recorder from illegal searches

independence

I carry a voice recorder on my person when in public and often record long portions of the day. It occurred to me that this could be a double edged sword, as there may be some things I would prefer not be recorded.

For instance, let's say my wife and I are driving in the car on the way to the store and we say something flirtatious that wasn't intended for the whole world to hear. There may be various things that could end up on a recorder that while not illegal are something I would rather remained private.

There are several problems I see here:

-What if the recorder does not have security features like a way to lock/encrypt it with a password?
-What if the recorder is confiscated and evidence in my favor is destroyed? (I think some resolve this with a smartphone app that uploads audio to the cloud?)
-What if I were detained and an investigator listened to my entire day in real time, scouring it for anything they could use to paint me in a bad light in court?

Do some of you turn your recorder on and off throughout the day? I don't know if I could remember to do that or not. I'd always be forgetting if it is on or not. :)

Anyway, any thoughts or insight on how you handle these things would be appreciated...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I carry a voice recorder on my person when in public and often record long portions of the day. It occurred to me that this could be a double edged sword, as there may be some things I would prefer not be recorded.

For instance, let's say my wife and I are driving in the car on the way to the store and we say something flirtatious that wasn't intended for the whole world to hear. There may be various things that could end up on a recorder that while not illegal are something I would rather remained private.

-What if the recorder does not have security features like a way to lock/encrypt it with a password?
-What if the recorder is confiscated and evidence in my favor is destroyed? (I think some resolve this with a smartphone app that uploads audio to the cloud?)
-What if I were detained and an investigator listened to my entire day in real time, scouring it for anything they could use to paint me in a bad light in court?

Do some of you turn your recorder on and off throughout the day? I don't know if I could remember to do that or not. I'd always be forgetting if it is on or not. :)

Anyway, any thoughts or insight on how you handle these things would be appreciated...
Don't say anything you might later regret - I know it is easier said than done.

Develop key/trigger words for your significant other.

"Do we have to do this?" is our key to an impending SHTF situation = move and draw, we are going hot!

I sure love apples is a private code /wordphrase too or I wish I had an apple.

We even have a private hand gesture that would seem innocent enough to others.

Last edited:

utbagpiper

Banned
It is threads like this that really constitute the value of this site. The OP brings up a subject I had not given much thought to and the first response gives both solutions and additional items worthy of serious thought.

Thank you.

Charles

color of law

Accomplished Advocate

OK, you started it. Cough it up. We demand to know.....

This forum contains a lot of discussion that can be taken out of context.

Remember this? "Don't Talk to Police" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wXkI4t7nuc

You have to live your life. There is enough in this world to worry about.

And a good attorney would not allow such innocuous banter to ever enter the case.

I'm just sayn.....

OC for ME

Cops contend that phones/recording devices will (may?) contain evidence of your criminal acts, thus they confiscating it, or desiring to confiscate it. Yet, in most instances your device will likely contain evidence of the cop's criminal acts. Ironic, if you think about it. Again Terry v. OH rears its ugly head.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Cops contend that phones/recording devices will (may?) contain evidence of your criminal acts, thus they confiscating it, or desiring to confiscate it. Yet, in most instances your device will likely contain evidence of the cop's criminal acts. Ironic, if you think about it. Again Terry v. OH rears its ugly head.

"Cops contend that phones/recording devices will (may?) contain evidence of your criminal acts, thus they confiscating it, or desiring to confiscate it. Yet, [strike]in most[/strike] some instances your device [strike]will likely[/strike] may contain evidence of the cop's criminal acts. Ironic, if you think about it."

Fixed it for you. :)

OC for ME

"Cops contend that phones/recording devices will (may?) contain evidence of your criminal acts, thus they confiscating it, or desiring to confiscate it. Yet, [strike]in most[/strike] some instances your device [strike]will likely[/strike] may contain evidence of the cop's criminal acts. Ironic, if you think about it."

Fixed it for you. :)
FIFY is frowned upon on OCDO I am lead to believe. Granted, your version may be applicable in your jurisdiction...but not all.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
FIFY is frowned upon on OCDO I am lead to believe. Granted, your version may be applicable in your jurisdiction...but not all.

You undoubtedly refer to Rule#16 regarding False Attributions - hardly applies as it is patently clear that there was no malintent to make it seem as if you said something otherwise. I was trying to utilize a soft approach - apparently the message was missed.

But, since you bring it up - look at Rule #6. You would seem to have made a generalized statement regarding "most instances."
Yet, in most instances your device will likely contain evidence of the cop's criminal acts.

I summarily refute that broad brush statement.