Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Federal agents 'catch and release' open carry activist in Washington

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Federal agents 'catch and release' open carry activist in Washington

Federal agents 'catch and release' open carry activist in Washington

Washington State liberty activist Anthony Bosworth was arrested Wednesday outside a federal building for openly carrying a firearm, an announcement on Bosworth’s Facebook page reports. Within hours, he had been released with no criminal charges, his wife informed supporters.

Bosworth was arrested in front of his wife and children by agents for the Department of Homeland Security, who “claimed that Bosworth was in violation of federal law by open carrying a firearm on federal property.” That’s in spite of the reported fact that “The sign on the building states that firearms are not allowed inside the building, but makes no mention of the outside grounds, where Bosworth was standing.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/fede...alerts_article
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-25-2015 at 05:23 PM.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Thanks for the article, I had missed it.
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by slapmonkay View Post
    Thanks for the article, I had missed it.
    I subscribe to most (all?) of the gun rights Examiners. W/O exception they provide great insight and can be utilized as a quick review of topics of interest to us all. They are like Cliff Notes for me.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

I typically track most of them too, just happened to miss this one. Glad you posted it. Thx
    I Am Not A Lawyer, verify all facts presented independently.

It's called the "American Dream" because you have to be asleep to believe it. - George Carlin

I carry a spare tire, in case I have a flat. I carry life insurance, in case I die. I carry a gun, in case I need it.

Time will tell whether Mr. Bosworth will file a civil case - such would appear to be a slam dunk under the circumstances as presented.

Also hope he got his gun(s) back in short order.

Immediate retraining of these officers would be well advised.

It says they gave him a citation, wonder what for...
    It is well that war is so terrible – otherwise we would grow too fond of it.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    Thomas Jonathan "Stonewall" Jackson
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

Quote Originally Posted by WalkingWolf View Post
    It says they gave him a citation, wonder what for...
    See the last sentence in the linked article. It reads:

"Per a phone call from Sam Wilson, the media contact for the Washington activists, the citation charges Bosworth with "Failure to comply."

That seems like a cheap shot and bogus too. IMHO he has no obligation to comply with an unlawful order.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    See the last sentence in the linked article. It reads:

"Per a phone call from Sam Wilson, the media contact for the Washington activists, the citation charges Bosworth with "Failure to comply."

That seems like a cheap shot and bogus too. IMHO he has no obligation to comply with an unlawful order.
    Missed it thanks. Since he was breaking no laws, there was no RAS for him to comply, IMO.
    Robert E. Lee
    The patriot volunteer, fighting for country and his rights, makes the most reliable soldier on earth.
    What separates the winners from the losers is how a person reacts to each new twist of fate.
    President Donald Trump

I have no idea how accurate this site/article is, but here you go:

http://www.infowars.com/exclusive-fb...litical-rally/

"Exclusive: FBI Tries to Flip Open Carry Activist After Arrest at Political Rally

Feds tell military veteran to "be quiet" for a year to avoid charges..."

"...Following his detainment, Bosworth revealed that the same FBI agent, now using a different name, confronted him on the street and asked for a 'private meeting.'

The agent reportedly stated that he lacked knowledge on the Second Amendment and wanted to learn Bosworth’s viewpoints, an obvious attempt to lure Bosworth into becoming an informant while gathering further information on his constitutionally-protected First Amendment activity..."
    Last edited by BB62; 02-25-2015 at 10:39 PM.

The stew pot being simmered has the distinct aroma of meat that has been left in the sun for a week of more.

Don't think anyone here is going to voluntarily swallow what is being served.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot
    Bosworth was arrested in front of his wife and children by agents for the Department of Homeland Security, who “claimed that Bosworth was in violation of federal law by open carrying a firearm on federal property.” That’s in spite of the reported fact that “The sign on the building states that firearms are not allowed inside the building, but makes no mention of the outside grounds, where Bosworth was standing.”...
    How hard is it to know your job? How is it most of us understand the difference between federal "property" and a federal "facility," yet the armed agents enforcing the boundary don't know? Did they have to sacrifice all their other training when they started getting better marksmanship training?
    "It's not important how many people I've killed. What's important is how I get along with the people who are still alive" - Jimmy the Tulip

Quote Originally Posted by MAC702 View Post
    How hard is it to know your job? How is it most of us understand the difference between federal "property" and a federal "facility," yet the armed agents enforcing the boundary don't know? Did they have to sacrifice all their other training when they started getting better marksmanship training?
    Just because they have enough ammo to last 5 life times, doesn't mean they are getting more or better firearms training.

See page #9

Requires a minimum qualifying score of 80% - that I am reasonably sure is on a static firing line.
    http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fil...es%201s....pdf

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Wow!
    I am not anti Cop I am just pro Citizen.

U.S. v. Minker, 350 US 179, at page 187
    "Because of what appears to be a lawful command on the surface, many citizens, because
    of their respect for what only appears to be a law, are cunningly coerced into waiving their
    rights, due to ignorance." (Paraphrased)

Simple misunderstanding. We should await the outcome of a investigation if one is conducted. We do not want to jump to any mis-preconceived notions.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by OC for ME View Post
    Simple misunderstanding. We should await the outcome of a investigation if one is conducted. We do not want to jump to any mis-preconceived notions.
    Quote Originally Posted by NavyLCDR View Post
    Simple misunderstanding is not a defense that is allowed when criminal charges are brought against non-Leo for violating the law - simple misunderstanding should not be a defense that is allowed when LEO break the law. They unlawfully detained the subject.
    Have adequate supply of popcorn and a very comfortable chair - will wait, but with much anticipation of further news.

Simple misunderstanding is not a defense that is allowed when criminal charges are brought against non-Leo for violating the law - simple misunderstanding should not be a defense that is allowed when LEO break the law. They unlawfully detained the subject.
    No arguments from me.

There is a appeals court case that let a NC cop off the hook for his alleged misunderstanding the law. I think the cop, in that case, knew the law very well and was correct in the application of the law. But the case law is now on the books and at least one LEA has already taken advantage of the new wayward cop benefit.
    "I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson.

"Better that ten guilty persons escape, than that one innocent suffer" - English jurist William Blackstone.
    It is AFAIK original to me. Compromise is failure on the installment plan, particularly when dealing with so intractable an opponent as ignorance. - Nightmare

Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff. State View Post
    John Bad Elk v. United States

Seriously when the hell will people start resisting at whatever level the CRIMINALS escalate to?

I would think most juries would find a person justified of killing an armed individual UNLAWFULLY kidnapping them.
    Please be the test case for this and let us know how it works out for you. We'll be watching ...
    Air Force Veteran
    NRA Life Member
    VCDL Member
    NRA Certified Chief Range Safety Officer
    NRA Certified Instructor: Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Home Firearm Safety, Personal Protection
    Maryland Qualified Handgun Instructor
    Certified Instructor, Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore, Inc.
    Member, Mt. Washington Rod & Gun Club
    National Sporting Clays Association Certified Referee

Banned
    Sad times.

Quote Originally Posted by gutshot View Post

Depriving a person of their freedom, even temporarily is not a "simple misunderstanding". It is understandable for a LEO to talk to a person or even detain a person on a suspicion, but before they arrest and incarcerate a person they should make sure that they know what they are doing. How hard would it have been for these LEO to have checked on the law before they got so deep into this that they felt that they had to charge him with "something" or lose face?
    I have no doubt they knew the law, they read it everyday when they entered and left their workplace. This was harassment, and they can get away with it because they are federal.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Wowwie!!!

Originally Posted by Jeff. State
    John Bad Elk v. United States

Seriously when the hell will people start resisting at whatever level the CRIMINALS escalate to?

I would think most juries would find a person justified of killing an armed individual UNLAWFULLY kidnapping them.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesCanby View Post
    Please be the test case for this and let us know how it works out for you. We'll be watching ...
    I dont know why Jef. State went off topic.
    And I dont know why you replied with doubt to a historic "Test Case"!!!!!

If you read here enough, you will know of at least two recent "test cases" of folks,
    that shot! and killed!, the first cop through the door in a botched, wrong house, raid!!!
    The good guy lived, and was not convicted of a crime!!!!!
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 02-27-2015 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Editing cancelled
    EMNofSeattle wrote: Your idea of freedom terrifies me. So you are actually right. I am perfectly happy with what you call tyranny.....

“If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin.”

Stand up for your Rights,, They have no authority on their own...

All power is inherent in the people,
    it is their right and duty to be at all times ARMED!

Police officers don't have to be Federal to get away with it....they just have to be police officers.
    Federal officers have not only qualified immunity, but sovereign immunity. Making it very very difficult to successfully sue them. I have my doubts in these victims case whether they can find a attorney to take their case. If it was a local or state LEO it would mean a cash payday.
    Robert E. Lee
    President Donald Trump

Washington activists plan peaceful armed assembly response to activist’s arrest

Reacting to the “catch and release” of one of its leaders for openly carrying a firearm on federal grounds that ban firearms inside the facility, Washington activists are planning a responsive armed demonstration, the Our State, Our Rights coalition announced today on Facebook. Liberty for All and Defend Amendment X will gather in front of the Tom Foley Federal Building in Spokane next Friday to protest the arrest and detention of Anthony Bosworth by DHS police on Wednesday.

The protest will take place on March 6 between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. PST at the Tom Foley Federal Building, 920 W Riverside Ave Spokane, Washington 99201.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/wash...alerts_article

Amazing

It's amazing how different forums view the same thing.
    You guys are supporting this man and condemning the agents. Meanwhile on one of those other gun forums...
    https://www.northwestfirearms.com/th.../#post-1230801
    "Loyalty above all else except honor. " -John Mahoney

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have." -Gerald R. Ford

Quote Originally Posted by decklin View Post
    It's amazing how different forums view the same thing.
    You guys are supporting this man and condemning the agents. Meanwhile on one of those other gun forums...
    https://www.northwestfirearms.com/th.../#post-1230801
    There are opinions expressed on both sides - not unlike here on some issues.

I like the last one I saw there:
    "So don't exercise your Rights 'cause you might lose them.
    Is that the message we're trying to spread?
    Tell you what. I'm gonna be a nice guy and help you out. Give me all your guns so you don't lose your 2A Rights.
    Sound good?"
    That parallels this site's motto:
    “A Right Unexercised is a Right Lost”

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Washington activists plan peaceful armed assembly response to activist’s arrest

Reacting to the “catch and release” of one of its leaders for openly carrying a firearm on federal grounds that ban firearms inside the facility, Washington activists are planning a responsive armed demonstration, the Our State, Our Rights coalition announced today on Facebook. Liberty for All and Defend Amendment X will gather in front of the Tom Foley Federal Building in Spokane next Friday to protest the arrest and detention of Anthony Bosworth by DHS police on Wednesday.

The protest will take place on March 6 between 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. PST at the Tom Foley Federal Building, 920 W Riverside Ave Spokane, Washington 99201.
    http://www.examiner.com/article/wash...alerts_article
    Tom Foley Federal Building. How appropriate..

Foley was Speaker of the house and a main proponent of the 94 Federal Assault Weapons ban. He was also a key figure in getting Term Limits shot down in Washington State around the same time. Now he has a Federal Building named after him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast