• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal agents 'catch and release' open carry activist in Washington

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Federal agents 'catch and release' open carry activist in Washington

Washington State liberty activist Anthony Bosworth was arrested Wednesday outside a federal building for openly carrying a firearm, an announcement on Bosworth’s Facebook page reports. Within hours, he had been released with no criminal charges, his wife informed supporters.

Bosworth was arrested in front of his wife and children by agents for the Department of Homeland Security, who “claimed that Bosworth was in violation of federal law by open carrying a firearm on federal property.” That’s in spite of the reported fact that “The sign on the building states that firearms are not allowed inside the building, but makes no mention of the outside grounds, where Bosworth was standing.”

http://www.examiner.com/article/fed...tivist-washington?CID=examiner_alerts_article

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Thanks for the article, I had missed it.

I subscribe to most (all?) of the gun rights Examiners. W/O exception they provide great insight and can be utilized as a quick review of topics of interest to us all. They are like Cliff Notes for me.

slapmonkay

Campaign Veteran
I typically track most of them too, just happened to miss this one. Glad you posted it. Thx

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Time will tell whether Mr. Bosworth will file a civil case - such would appear to be a slam dunk under the circumstances as presented.

Also hope he got his gun(s) back in short order.

Immediate retraining of these officers would be well advised.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It says they gave him a citation, wonder what for...
See the last sentence in the linked article. It reads:

"Per a phone call from Sam Wilson, the media contact for the Washington activists, the citation charges Bosworth with "Failure to comply."

That seems like a cheap shot and bogus too. IMHO he has no obligation to comply with an unlawful order.

WalkingWolf

See the last sentence in the linked article. It reads:

"Per a phone call from Sam Wilson, the media contact for the Washington activists, the citation charges Bosworth with "Failure to comply."

That seems like a cheap shot and bogus too. IMHO he has no obligation to comply with an unlawful order.

Missed it thanks. Since he was breaking no laws, there was no RAS for him to comply, IMO.

BB62

Accomplished Advocate
I have no idea how accurate this site/article is, but here you go:

http://www.infowars.com/exclusive-f...rry-activist-after-arrest-at-political-rally/

"Exclusive: FBI Tries to Flip Open Carry Activist After Arrest at Political Rally

Feds tell military veteran to "be quiet" for a year to avoid charges..."

"...Following his detainment, Bosworth revealed that the same FBI agent, now using a different name, confronted him on the street and asked for a 'private meeting.'

The agent reportedly stated that he lacked knowledge on the Second Amendment and wanted to learn Bosworth’s viewpoints, an obvious attempt to lure Bosworth into becoming an informant while gathering further information on his constitutionally-protected First Amendment activity..."

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
The stew pot being simmered has the distinct aroma of meat that has been left in the sun for a week of more.

Don't think anyone here is going to voluntarily swallow what is being served.

MAC702

Campaign Veteran
Grapeshot said:
Bosworth was arrested in front of his wife and children by agents for the Department of Homeland Security, who “claimed that Bosworth was in violation of federal law by open carrying a firearm on federal property.” That’s in spite of the reported fact that “The sign on the building states that firearms are not allowed inside the building, but makes no mention of the outside grounds, where Bosworth was standing.”...

How hard is it to know your job? How is it most of us understand the difference between federal "property" and a federal "facility," yet the armed agents enforcing the boundary don't know? Did they have to sacrifice all their other training when they started getting better marksmanship training?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
How hard is it to know your job? How is it most of us understand the difference between federal "property" and a federal "facility," yet the armed agents enforcing the boundary don't know? Did they have to sacrifice all their other training when they started getting better marksmanship training?
Just because they have enough ammo to last 5 life times, doesn't mean they are getting more or better firearms training.

See page #9

Requires a minimum qualifying score of 80% - that I am reasonably sure is on a static firing line.
http://www.dhs.gov/sites/default/fi...rity Officers in Federal Facilities 1s....pdf

OC for ME

Simple misunderstanding. We should await the outcome of a investigation if one is conducted. We do not want to jump to any mis-preconceived notions.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Simple misunderstanding. We should await the outcome of a investigation if one is conducted. We do not want to jump to any mis-preconceived notions.

Simple misunderstanding is not a defense that is allowed when criminal charges are brought against non-Leo for violating the law - simple misunderstanding should not be a defense that is allowed when LEO break the law. They unlawfully detained the subject.

Have adequate supply of popcorn and a very comfortable chair - will wait, but with much anticipation of further news.

OC for ME

Simple misunderstanding is not a defense that is allowed when criminal charges are brought against non-Leo for violating the law - simple misunderstanding should not be a defense that is allowed when LEO break the law. They unlawfully detained the subject.
No arguments from me.

There is a appeals court case that let a NC cop off the hook for his alleged misunderstanding the law. I think the cop, in that case, knew the law very well and was correct in the application of the law. But the case law is now on the books and at least one LEA has already taken advantage of the new wayward cop benefit.

JamesCanby

Activist Member
Alexandria, VA at www.NoVA-MDSelfDefense.com
John Bad Elk v. United States

Seriously when the hell will people start resisting at whatever level the CRIMINALS escalate to?

I would think most juries would find a person justified of killing an armed individual UNLAWFULLY kidnapping them.

Please be the test case for this and let us know how it works out for you. We'll be watching ...

WalkingWolf

Depriving a person of their freedom, even temporarily is not a "simple misunderstanding". It is understandable for a LEO to talk to a person or even detain a person on a suspicion, but before they arrest and incarcerate a person they should make sure that they know what they are doing. How hard would it have been for these LEO to have checked on the law before they got so deep into this that they felt that they had to charge him with "something" or lose face?

I have no doubt they knew the law, they read it everyday when they entered and left their workplace. This was harassment, and they can get away with it because they are federal.

1245A Defender

Wowwie!!!

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Jeff. State

John Bad Elk v. United States

Seriously when the hell will people start resisting at whatever level the CRIMINALS escalate to?

I would think most juries would find a person justified of killing an armed individual UNLAWFULLY kidnapping them.

Please be the test case for this and let us know how it works out for you. We'll be watching ...

I dont know why Jef. State went off topic.
And I dont know why you replied with doubt to a historic "Test Case"!!!!!

If you read here enough, you will know of at least two recent "test cases" of folks,
that shot! and killed!, the first cop through the door in a botched, wrong house, raid!!!
The good guy lived, and was not convicted of a crime!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator: