• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Federal agents 'catch and release' open carry activist in Washington

Firearms Iinstuctor

Train first - then fire for certification. Can see several tiers of training and different levels of certification as being viable......in theory.

Time is money, money is time training budgets are limited firearms training is not the only training a LEO has to do all instructors no matter what they instruct are vying for training dollars.

The best trained officers are the ones that spend their own time and money improving their skills.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Time is money, money is time training budgets are limited firearms training is not the only training a LEO has to do all instructors no matter what they instruct are vying for training dollars.

--snipped--

We agree pointedly on this. Said as much in a prior post - "understand the problem of budget/money limitation though."

I've been between that rock and a hard place more than a few times in my past life.

OC for ME

Depriving a person of their freedom, even temporarily is not a "simple misunderstanding". It is understandable for a LEO to talk to a person or even detain a person on a suspicion, but before they arrest and incarcerate a person they should make sure that they know what they are doing. How hard would it have been for these LEO to have checked on the law before they got so deep into this that they felt that they had to charge him with "something" or lose face?
LEOs can talk to anyone they wish. When they insist on a response via the authority vested in them by the state that is not understandable. Your state may be different but what a arrest in MO is defined below.
Arrest.

544.180. An arrest is made by an actual restraint of the person of the defendant, or by his submission to the custody of the officer, under authority of a warrant or otherwise. The officer must inform the defendant by what authority he acts, and must also show the warrant if required.
Not being a lawyer and reading the words, there is no detainment in MO. I always advise folks who carry and who are arrested by a cop (detained :rolleyes:) to not speak a word to the cop(s), comply without speaking, and real slow like molasses in December, and to seek legal counsel immediately afterward or a soon as practical.

Any cop can lie regarding their justification for stopping you.